5x4 Bolt Pattern Aftermarket Options

-
RudeDawg, if you happen to come across this thread I would appreciate some information on tire/fenderwell clearances on your 68 with those Centerlines that you sold back in January. They sure looked nice on your car. Mine is a 67 Fastback in MM1 Turbine Bronze Metallic and I think Centerlines would look good on it as well. I was specifically looking at the rear tire clearance from the outer fender edge and how much clearance you had regarding springs as well with the backset you mentioned. Tried to message you but may be a privacy setting that wouldn't allow it.

Thanks

Anyone know if "Weld-Draglites" were manufactured in the 5x4 SBP. 14"? or 15"

While searching for tire/wheel fitment information online I ran across this chart. It was on "Road Kill Customs" website. Don't know the accuracy or industry acceptance of it but saw several other charts online that had these same values. It may give a baseline to start with if anyone is trying to decifer tire width-to-wheel width combinations.

Wheel-Tire-Chart.GIF

I can never remember which is positive offset, and which is negative. Plus, if you don't know the width of a wheel (cause it has a tire on it, for instance) an offset number tells you nothing, and CANT be measured. Therefor, i dont even try to deal with offset.
Any wheel, tire on it or not, can be measured for backspace. And you dont need to know the width. Example: if i told you i have a fairly wide wheel with a +37 offset, will it fit your car? I would have no clue. But (the SAME wheel) tell me that fairly wide wheel has 7 1/4" of backspace, I'll KNOW if it will fit or not. (Above wheel exists, in my garage. It is intended for an A-body with a stock A or B body width rear in a car with moved springs, and that's about all it will fit, lol)

Wheel measurements are a mess the way they are specified. Offset in millimeters, width and back space in inches. Unfortunately for metric system haters like me, everyone talks about offset.

For wheels with tires mounted, I use two pieces of wood, one on either side, measure between them and subtract 1/2 inch for the width.

If you also measure the back space, the offset is easy to calculate, then convert to mm.

It’s pretty much impossible to search for aftermarket wheels without knowing the offset you want.

Looking at possibly going with 14" Rallye wheels for the 67 Barracuda. Anyone know if these were made/or are being made in an 8" width with something around a 4" +/- 0.25" back set and a 6" width with around 3-3/8" back set? I have seen 14" x 8" Rallye's offered by Coker but they have a 4-5/8" back set. 14" x 7 " had 4-1/4" back set and 14" x 6" had 4" back set.

I think 4" back set is as close to the springs as I am comfortable being. Using a 235/60/14 I think that would leave about 5/8" gap between tire side wall and springs on an 8" wheel plus accounting for some tire bulge past the wheel.

I prefer an 8" wheel with a 4" or 3-3/4" back set, in case I might want to step up to a 245/60 in the future but if there aren't any of the 14" Rallye's made in the 8" with the lesser back set, I may have to just go with the 7": 4-1/4" back set. I might entertain running a 1/4" spacer but not crazy about going thicker than that. I don't want to have to move the springs.

Anyone know if someone has made or is making the 14" x 8" Rallye's in 3-3/4" to 4" back set? I am looking at Rallye's utilizing the rings and center caps.

Thanks

My apologies to everyone in advance regarding estimated rear wheel/tire clearances. Must have been a late night and half asleep when I initially read the existing tire size on the rear of the car. Car already has Cooper Cobra 235/60/14 on it with 8" US Indy mags: 3-3/8" back set leaving 1-7/8" between tire sidewall an spring.

So the 4-5/8" back set on the Coker Rallye using the 235/60 would be set 4.625"- 3.375" = 1.25" closer to the springs leaving 1.875"-1.25" = 0.625" clearance between tire side wall and spring. Is this adequate/safe? Maybe could run a 1/4" slip over hub spacer?

For front thought about the Coker 14"x 6". It shows 4.00" back set. Anyone running this much back set on one of these Barracudas' without having rubbing issues on frame etc? I currently have 195/70/14 on front and no frame clearance issues with wheels turned sharp, but the engine and tranny weight isn't on the suspension. I put these new tires on it after engine/tranny removed to move it around in shop.

-
Back