6.1 Hemi into 72 Demon March 2018

-
Have you thought about a Holley HP system for the wiring? It'll save yourself a heck of a lot of headaches. It would make it a lot more user-friendly you could tune it with a laptop or Buy digital dash if you wanted to spend the extra dough.

Have you considered using the US Car Tool under fender braces?
Inner Fender Braces
You kinda need all the room you can get for that engine.
Thank you for the feedback. I did not know under fender support existed much less what they are. I will research, and for sure on needing every spare inch in the engine bay!

Have you thought about a Holley HP system for the wiring? It'll save yourself a heck of a lot of headaches. It would make it a lot more user-friendly you could tune it with a laptop or Buy digital dash if you wanted to spend the extra dough.
I am presently researching multiple options on that front. I have a buddy who is a Holley distributor. I am also looking at Mega squirt and Hot wire auto out of ark. I fear I will have no choice but to go to a digital Dakota style dash.
Everything I am reading says the OEM dash is not happy when not in OEM car with all associated inputs. Using the OEM brain box even with a reflash to reduce fault codes creates issues with the OEM dash. Since I have to fabricate my own dash anyway I may just bite the bullet and go with Dakota.
I have a Dakota in my Cuda and it was smooth to install, in fact it was painless. Hah! Seriously I love the Dakota Dash in my Cuda, it looks great and I have had zero issues with it and the car gets thrashed regularly.

Not trying to hijack-Tbone, are you using the HP? I have one and am going to use it for my swap.

Hijack complete.......

Not trying to hijack-Tbone, are you using the HP? I have one and am going to use it for my swap.

Hijack complete.......
I am researching it as we speak! I have Mega squirt 3 on my 73 Cuda and love it but it was complex to install. Read I got frustrated. I am not as strong electrically as I would like. The whole EFI scene is evolving at a rapid pace and I think personally that Holley is out front with user friendly aspect. Please let me know how you do with yours as I am still a long way from needing to make that decision. Translated I am out of money!! I need to heal up a bit here.

So Xmas came early in Fargo. I got my tubular front end today from HDK. The boxs of parts just keep dribbling in as my bank acct. creates a vacuum. Looks like I may have a busy weekend depending on how the playoffs go (NHL). I attached a picture of the K frame but omitted the rack and pinion portion and the wilwood brake pkg that goes with. Everybody knows what they look like.
From a craftsmanship standpoint the K frame is very well done. I am uber critical of all things welding and suffice to say the welds are very nice. Some undercutting on a very few and some indications of early tip pull out not allowing argon to fully seal. But overall very very nice welding. I would steal his welder in a heart beat! If my guys could pull that kind of quality off every day I would be a happy guy.
I know many are thinking if you can weld why did you pay someone to fab for you? Well until you try and tackle fabricating something like a K frame you simply do not realize the thought and effort behind it. The finished product I would guess is a compilation of about a million hard lessons. I just don't have the time to pay the tuition. I fully recognize the cost of the tuition and don't mind writing a check for this key piece in my build. To DIY it would set me back weeks.
As an example when someone hires me to weld a cast aluminum part then gripes about my fee. And I quote" what... it only took you 30 minutes to do" my reply is you are correct. But it took me twenty years to learn how to do it in 30 minutes. Go out and buy a 5,000 dollar water cooled heli arc machine and do it yourself.
Sorry you hit a nerve right there and I got on my soap box.
Long story short I paid for some welding and I got zero regrets it is a nice piece. Clearly in need of some powder coating tho! Hah! I will likely scratch it to pieces putting it in and out a dozen times, then I will powder coat it.

IMG_1081.JPG

So Xmas came early in Fargo. I got my tubular front end today from HDK. The boxs of parts just keep dribbling in as my bank acct. creates a vacuum. Looks like I may have a busy weekend depending on how the playoffs go (NHL). I attached a picture of the K frame but omitted the rack and pinion portion and the wilwood brake pkg that goes with. Everybody knows what they look like.
From a craftsmanship standpoint the K frame is very well done. I am uber critical of all things welding and suffice to say the welds are very nice. Some undercutting on a very few and some indications of early tip pull out not allowing argon to fully seal. But overall very very nice welding. I would steal his welder in a heart beat! If my guys could pull that kind of quality off every day I would be a happy guy.
I know many are thinking if you can weld why did you pay someone to fab for you? Well until you try and tackle fabricating something like a K frame you simply do not realize the thought and effort behind it. The finished product I would guess is a compilation of about a million hard lessons. I just don't have the time to pay the tuition. I fully recognize the cost of the tuition and don't mind writing a check for this key piece in my build. To DIY it would set me back weeks.
As an example when someone hires me to weld a cast aluminum part then gripes about my fee. And I quote" what... it only took you 30 minutes to do" my reply is you are correct. But it took me twenty years to learn how to do it in 30 minutes. Go out and buy a 5,000 dollar water cooled heli arc machine and do it yourself.
Sorry you hit a nerve right there and I got on my soap box.
Long story short I paid for some welding and I got zero regrets it is a nice piece. Clearly in need of some powder coating tho! Hah! I will likely scratch it to pieces putting it in and out a dozen times, then I will powder coat it.

View attachment 1715169154
I here what your saying about how long it takes and how much I charge. Been doing paintless dent repair since 1987 and charged people by the size of the dent and most of the time could have a simple door ding out in less than 2 minutes. If they stand and watch it would bother them to pay me my money I would always tell them I could put the dent back and not charge you.
And go ahead and stand on your soap box I agree.

I here what your saying about how long it takes and how much I charge. Been doing paintless dent repair since 1987 and charged people by the size of the dent and most of the time could have a simple door ding out in less than 2 minutes. If they stand and watch it would bother them to pay me my money I would always tell them I could put the dent back and not charge you.
And go ahead and stand on your soap box I agree.
Roger that good Sir! Did you get your tranny issue sorted out?

Roger that good Sir! Did you get your tranny issue sorted out?
It's in the shop no news yet.
Looks like you got a lot to do on your car just don't over do it and blow out your knee would like to go for a ride in it when your done and not have to give you a ride in it because you can't push in the clutch or step on the gas.

I am presently researching multiple options on that front. I have a buddy who is a Holley distributor. I am also looking at Mega squirt and Hot wire auto out of ark. I fear I will have no choice but to go to a digital Dakota style dash.
Everything I am reading says the OEM dash is not happy when not in OEM car with all associated inputs. Using the OEM brain box even with a reflash to reduce fault codes creates issues with the OEM dash. Since I have to fabricate my own dash anyway I may just bite the bullet and go with Dakota.
I have a Dakota in my Cuda and it was smooth to install, in fact it was painless. Hah! Seriously I love the Dakota Dash in my Cuda, it looks great and I have had zero issues with it and the car gets thrashed regularly.
The Hp is a standalone system. But you can plum and wire your Factory gauges into your Hemi. I just don't know how accurate that would be. Love you build and at least it's not LS.

Hijack complete.......
We've used them to put on customers cars. I don't have one for my personalcar. They work great simple to hook up.

We've used them to put on customers cars. I don't have one for my personalcar. They work great simple to hook up.
Thank you Tbone! I think of all the systems I have researched thus far the HP is both the most user friendly and also clearly the most supported from a technical aspect. It seems to have more flexibility designed into it, modular if you will. It is however a bit cost prohibitive, all that design and support is not free. The LS crowd has got it made vs fighting mother Mopar!

Thank you Tbone! I think of all the systems I have researched thus far the HP is both the most user friendly and also clearly the most supported from a technical aspect. It seems to have more flexibility designed into it, modular if you will. It is however a bit cost prohibitive, all that design and support is not free. The LS crowd has got it made vs fighting mother Mopar!
All I have to say today is
GO JETS!
Sorry to all the Leaf fans! Heart breaker

All I have to say today is
GO JETS!
Sorry to all the Leaf fans! Heart breaker
So today I started to sort out the HDK coil over kit with K frame. Lots of parts but the instructions were quite detailed, some pictures identifying each component would have some value but the parts fit well and if you follow the instructions it all makes sense. Please note the K frame will not work with your stock oil pan. While I am waiting on oil pan mods I chose to mount the upper shock mounts and the hoop supports. The directions explain to clamp the supports but me being me I decided to tack them to the frame so I could drill the frame to,accept the spacers and bolts. All the bushings fit well and if you do your part with the drilling all is good. In addition Amazon finally delivered my fancy schmancy modern connection tools. I included a picture of it as you simply cannot undo one of these modern fuel couplings gracefully without it. Not sure how that Jets sweater got in the picture.hah!

IMG_1102.JPG

IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG

So today I started to sort out the HDK coil over kit with K frame. Lots of parts but the instructions were quite detailed, some pictures identifying each component would have some value but the parts fit well and if you follow the instructions it all makes sense. Please note the K frame will not work with your stock oil pan. While I am waiting on oil pan mods I chose to mount the upper shock mounts and the hoop supports. The directions explain to clamp the supports but me being me I decided to tack them to the frame so I could drill the frame to,accept the spacers and bolts. All the bushings fit well and if you do your part with the drilling all is good. In addition Amazon finally delivered my fancy schmancy modern connection tools. I included a picture of it as you simply cannot undo one of these modern fuel couplings gracefully without it. Not sure how that Jets sweater got in the picture.hah!

View attachment 1715170109

View attachment 1715170110

View attachment 1715170111

View attachment 1715170112

View attachment 1715170113
seems to me like it would be better to take the body off an old car and reinstall it on a new car.

seems to me like it would be better to take the body off an old car and reinstall it on a new car.
Hah! I think perhaps Fred may be correct! Still no word on your transmission?
Anyway today I started roughing in the strut supports. I purchased them from Magnumm Force and also the sub frame connectors. Personally I do not think I will use them ( Magnum) anymore, I wish I had known about some of the alternatives ( many of you suggested post purchase!) prior to my purchase. I left both e mails and VMs with a couple of questions and never got a response. By then of course I had spent the cash. Customer Service is not what I would call acceptable. And parts are pricey. I am going to modify and create my own top portion to the strut support as I do not like the way it attaches, I will take pix as I progress. An adult beverage is calling my name and I am whipped. As you can see I wire brushed the firewall/ cowling prior to tacking on the plates. Not sure why I am so detailed on welding and such a slob on body work! I have most all of it tacked up. I utilize a heli arc vs the wire feed. You could easily do this wire feed as well. And always, and I mean always use a face shield when utilizing a cup brush on a grinder as you invariably get wire slung at you! Me and Hemi ( my faithful German Shepard) are going to call it a weekend.

IMG_1110.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1112.JPG

Hah! I think perhaps Fred may be correct! Still no word on your transmission?
Anyway today I started roughing in the strut supports. I purchased them from Magnumm Force and also the sub frame connectors. Personally I do not think I will use them ( Magnum) anymore, I wish I had known about some of the alternatives ( many of you suggested post purchase!) prior to my purchase. I left both e mails and VMs with a couple of questions and never got a response. By then of course I had spent the cash. Customer Service is not what I would call acceptable. And parts are pricey. I am going to modify and create my own top portion to the strut support as I do not like the way it attaches, I will take pix as I progress. An adult beverage is calling my name and I am whipped. As you can see I wire brushed the firewall/ cowling prior to tacking on the plates. Not sure why I am so detailed on welding and such a slob on body work! I have most all of it tacked up. I utilize a heli arc vs the wire feed. You could easily do this wire feed as well. And always, and I mean always use a face shield when utilizing a cup brush on a grinder as you invariably get wire slung at you! Me and Hemi ( my faithful German Shepard) are going to call it a weekend.

View attachment 1715170470

View attachment 1715170471

View attachment 1715170472
looking real good and I agree sometimes it's better to build your own parts and as far as doing the bodywork I'll come help, getting to to old but what the hell still got a little left.
No word on the tranny

i was gonna do a 5.7 in my 69 dart but went with a monster stroker small block, you eat an elephant one bite at a time, just start

I agree with you Wade just wish I had the balls to do the work.
So I burned out my tops for the strut supports today ( see attached pix) I slid them on just to ensure had enough room to compensate for the angle of the pipe. I will cut the tops off of the Magnum pieces and then mitre my top portions onto the existing bases, weld em up and no one will ever know! I realize structurally the change is not required I simply think it now looks complete and much better. I also confirmed today I will not utilize my OEM dash. This creates a multitude of other issues. For instance no speed input data. I will need to use a GPS style speedo. I don't care having a six speed manual makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! I will use a dakota dash as I put one in the cuda and it turned out nice and I have had no issues with it. Suffice to say I do not treat the Cuda gently! I am contemplating putting a new intake manifold and throttle body on but the lure of easy horsepower is overridden by the financial realities of cost. I can use the OEM gas pedal tho and that saves me all kind of headaches. The weekend is shaping up to be busy. It is track cleanup day out here at our local dragstrip where we all pitch in for work bond style labor!

IMG_1116.JPG

i was gonna do a 5.7 in my 69 dart but went with a monster stroker small block, you eat an elephant one bite at a time, just start
had a 68 dart swinger 340 4 speed when I was young, lots of fun. my Scamp is a 70 340 pretty much stock but gonna stroke it in a year or so.

So I burned out my tops for the strut supports today ( see attached pix) I slid them on just to ensure had enough room to compensate for the angle of the pipe. I will cut the tops off of the Magnum pieces and then mitre my top portions onto the existing bases, weld em up and no one will ever know! I realize structurally the change is not required I simply think it now looks complete and much better. I also confirmed today I will not utilize my OEM dash. This creates a multitude of other issues. For instance no speed input data. I will need to use a GPS style speedo. I don't care having a six speed manual makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! I will use a dakota dash as I put one in the cuda and it turned out nice and I have had no issues with it. Suffice to say I do not treat the Cuda gently! I am contemplating putting a new intake manifold and throttle body on but the lure of easy horsepower is overridden by the financial realities of cost. I can use the OEM gas pedal tho and that saves me all kind of headaches. The weekend is shaping up to be busy. It is track cleanup day out here at our local dragstrip where we all pitch in for work bond style labor!

View attachment 1715171230
supports look good, with that 6.1 your gonna need them.
Will they let a rookie like me in the drags down there with my slow car.

-
Back