6.300 rods in a 416 stroker

-

demon34071

FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can 6.300 rods be used in a 340 to 416 stroker motor with a 4.00 crank stroke?

I an starting to plan my 416 stroker project and after reviewing parts I have that no once wants to buy I figured I would try to use them:

I have a set steel 4340 billet rods I bought a few years ago that measure 6.300 in length. I was told they were Callies rods, but they is ZERO manufacturer markings on these rods. I just have the rod spec sheet.

Anyway the build so far looks like such:
340 block -- eventually will get punched out - need to buy
4340 steel crank -- Eagle or Callies Dragonslayer -- need to buy
4340 Steel rods -- 6.300 length -- for a 340 crank (I have)
After market heads -- still researching

Will be looking for 500+ HP on pump gas for my pro-touring Demon...

Any thoughts on the rod length in a motor like such??

I doubt you could find pistons that would work with that long of rods. Pistons for a 4" stroke already have the bottom ring low, I don't know if there's enough room before the pin to go that much lower. I've never heard of 6.300" rods for a small block, only 6.123 and 6.125.

Nope. Well, not without custom pistons that will not last very long or be very stable. not to mention costing a ton more.

f@#$%^ So what could 6.300 rods be used in then???

F#$@K#@@ED by another Mopar would be engine builder / seller.... Jesus no wonder building a mopar is so expensive, mopar folks screwing over mopar folks keeps the hobby high.... Woo sab wooo sab... LMAO!!!!

They are really sweet rods too... Billet 4340, arp bolts, 340 mains.... Any thoughts on what these could be used in??? Other than new paperweights for the bench.

I googled a few 416 builds and I see that some folks are using them in high rpm motors???

Derek,

Don't fret, call Brian at IMM and see what he can do for you. I know he's a Wiseco dealer and has done stuff with Diamond as well.

You need a piston with about 1.300 compression height if the deck is 9.600.

The only 6.300 rods I could find on a google search are for SBC. Are you sure they are 6.300, or that they are for Mopar?

Can 6.300 rods be used in a 340 to 416 stroker motor with a 4.00 crank stroke?

I an starting to plan my 416 stroker project and after reviewing parts I have that no once wants to buy I figured I would try to use them:

I have a set steel 4340 billet rods I bought a few years ago that measure 6.300 in length. I was told they were Callies rods, but they is ZERO manufacturer markings on these rods. I just have the rod spec sheet.

Anyway the build so far looks like such:
340 block -- eventually will get punched out - need to buy
4340 steel crank -- Eagle or Callies Dragonslayer -- need to buy
4340 Steel rods -- 6.300 length -- for a 340 crank (I have)
After market heads -- still researching

Will be looking for 500+ HP on pump gas for my pro-touring Demon...

Any thoughts on the rod length in a motor like such??

I'd sell the rods and just run shelf stuff for that power level. Scat is pretty good deal, great product and finish work. I sell K1 and Callies but for what you want the Scat internals get it done.
Brian

Well thanks for the tip of calling Brian at IMM....

The hits keep coming... Thanks Brian for chiming in on this....

As for exactly what they are here are some pics of the rods, the arp bolts, and the spec sheet. . . The box they are in is just an old box that i have laying around to keep them in. They originally just arrived in a cardboard box...

Any thoughts on what they are, who's they are, what they are worth new, and who may be able to use them???

Rods-4.JPG

Rods.resized.jpg

Rods#2.JPG

Well thanks for the tip of calling Brian at IMM....

The hits keep coming... Thanks Brian for chiming in on this....

As for exactly what they are here are some pics of the rods, the arp bolts, and the spec sheet. . . The box they are in is just an old box that i have laying around to keep them in. They originally just arrived in a cardboard box...

Any thoughts on what they are, who's they are, what they are worth new, and who may be able to use them???

Are those R5/P7 Rods for a Nascar Engine? They come in all kinds of different lengths.

Thanks MadDart --- sounds like I have same very expensive paper weights then since I can't remember every seeing someone posting a parts wanted add for R5/P7 rods for a Nascar engine!!!!

Will do thanks -- Hopefully I get good news (aka a price) from Ricky at Whynotfab.com on your set up except in 1" x 3/16 bars.... especially since the plan to use these rods (which cost me $500,....up in smoke) are a bust and I need to go back to drawing board and the magic cash fairy's to find me some more car money.

Hey if anyone is interested in these rods, (engine builders, hobbyists, anyone, anyone, anyone) they are for sale since they won't work in what I have planned.

Thanks MadDart---Funny how I even paid more than what e-junk sells them for.... Any clue if these really are $2300 rods new like what they claim on the Eatmon-Race-Parts page???

Anyone else know anything about these or know of anyone who could use them?

I'm not sure on the brand. What are the bearings in them? A 3.31 stroke small block running them could use a much lighter piston and be more torquey. That's a good idea and not a cheap build, but it makes them IMO useless for the 4" crank build. If you're Pro Touring you don't want all torque, you might want to run on pump fuel, and you'll want a piston that is stable in the bore at high rpm. These rods will IMO hurt all of that with a 4" stroke. For what you're doing, the std length rod (I'd suggest a K1 I beam) and Callies chevy pin forged crank are the way to go. I have one I did about five years ago that makes 500hp on CA pump fuel with the 6bbl induction. With an RPM an 950 carb it went 540hp. It's been daily driven "spiritedly" since then with a street solid roller. Touring is a balance of horsepower, torque, reliability, and longevity. I dont think 1.3" pistons are the best idea.

I see your in Pennsylvania might want to get in touch with Ryan J. from Shaddydell speed shop 814-692-4232 he'll have some excellent advice for you and can get you any parts you might need,he's also one of if not the best small block head guys out there,and has built some killer small blocks..infact he's getting my heads as i trust just about no one else out there..

Looks almost like a childs and albert, maybe oliver?
I could be wrong though.

What about a 3.79 crank engine?

Figured I will ask since nobody did....

So where can the OP find a 3.79 Crank? With no decking the block he could use a regular stroker piston and only be out of the hole around .006", plenty of head gaskets to fix that no problem if using closed chamber heads! Even if the block gets decked!

Does callies make one?

Figured I will ask since nobody did....

So where can the OP find a 3.79 Crank? With no decking the block he could use a regular stroker piston and only be out of the hole around .006", plenty of head gaskets to fix that no problem if using closed chamber heads! Even if the block gets decked!

Does callies make one?

K1 has them. I'm building an engine right now with one. I'm a K1 dealer so I can help if need be.
Last time I checked they had a few in stock...
Brian

was just on the muscle motors site he uses 6.3 rods on some of his engines worth checking out

First thing to do is figure out if those are Mopar rods or Chevy rods. I just finished up a 427 inch small block using 6.200 long Chevy SB rods. That combination worked just fine and it had a longer 4.125 inch stroke in it. So the 6.300 rods will work on a 4.00 inch stroke in terms of length. The problem might be the size of the big end, especially if it is a Mopar rod and not a Chevy rod. The Chevy rods are smaller and take up less space around the crankcase and oil pump area.

First thing to do is figure out if those are Mopar rods or Chevy rods. I just finished up a 427 inch small block using 6.200 long Chevy SB rods. That combination worked just fine and it had a longer 4.125 inch stroke in it. So the 6.300 rods will work on a 4.00 inch stroke in terms of length. The problem might be the size of the big end, especially if it is a Mopar rod and not a Chevy rod. The Chevy rods are smaller and take up less space around the crankcase and oil pump area.

What's the compression height of the piston end up being with something like that? How does that affect the longevity?

I've really been interested in these "big cube" smallblocks, but I hear very mixed information on them lasting only a short while, while others tell me they drive them on the street for a long time with decent results.

The longer stroke really makes a motor with a lot of snort down low and it comes in right away which is why I like the idea.

-
Back