/6 4bll intake.

-
Thanks 70Valiant.
That will be the way for me to go.8)
Know I need to locate a nice 225 head from 1980 and up
and have it checked out and cleaned up and match them to my offy intake.
Pick me out a rv or the next best cam and lifter set.
Wait a minute, I will need to buy a set of push rods too, won't I?
or will I?
170short block with hydrologic cam and lifters and none adjustable 225 head?

Are the push rods different length for this application?. or do I run the 170 push rods? and I do not want to change the valve springs so I won't want a cam to tall and not put to much on the stock springs.

Thank for your help.

I'm not sure on the pushrods, it would depend on wether or not the hydrolic lifters are the same height as the solid lifters. If they are the same than the 170 push rods will work. The difference in the displacement is all in the block and crank so all things the same just swapping heads the 170 pushrods will work. If you goto slantsix.org there is a group buy on erson cams right now. Tell them your build and they will help you select a grind.

I have the intake!! and will wait to make any more moves on buying any more parts untill I get the car, Tail lights and intake 160 dolors invested already on parts alone.
I am still getting advice on the 170 build and will call on a few of yall when the time and money comes to make my next move.
here is the intake that will go in the same box with the tail lights
I have decided to build a 170 head, Thanks for all the info I have got here on this thread. I have learned allot.:cheers:

Intake.:love7:

46.jpg

461.jpg

462.jpg

LIFE 315.jpg

thats a good looking /.. want to do mine????? he. he. he..

I think a 500 CFM would do fine. 600 is doable. Take a look at the bore of the 2bbl. Your 4bbl. primary should not be larger. Or, at most, barley.

500 CFM is the absolute biggest you should try and 600 on an otherwise stock slant will be too much. Even my \6 with cam, headers, increased compression did not like the 600 I had.

IMHO, the best 4bbl carb for a slant 6 from mild to pretty wild is the Holley 390 cfm vacuum secondary unit.

I remember Offy, making at one time /6 intakes, or at least straight 6 intakes, that had multiple carb set ups. Like 2 - 2bbl.'s or 3 - 2bbl.'s

yes they did and still do...here is an offy-equipped chevy 230 in my 65 van...2x1 intake adapted to 2 dueces.
100_1109.jpg

ENGINE2.jpg

i have seen a few 2x2's and even a 2x4 /6 intake on ebay, i think clifford still makes multi-carb manifolds for the slant, not sure tho.
multi carbs have huge wow factor but i would have went with the single 4bbl with a 390 holley on my chevy, except it wouldn't fit in the doghouse. so i chose to go with the 2 doubles instead. tuning it was a nightmare especially since i was new to that sort of thing when i built it. but once it was set up right, it was really nice and got just as good gas mileage as the original 1bbl carb with a LOT better throttle response and power.
-tim

I have seen the light!!:read2: And thanks for all the input here.:cheers:
390 holley is the way to go, Pricy littel sucker though.:bootysha:
I am talking to frank, and he said I can do something to a eddy 500.
He is a slant six builder here at FABO.
He will be hooking me up with 225 head a solid lifter head and some 225 push rods. Charrie_S is keeping me inline too.8)

So, just wondering those who are running the 4 barrel intake with a 390 what sort of mpg are you getting? Probably not the purpose of a 4 barrel swap, but with the price Super Six setups are getting and how hard it seems (in this area at least, if someone has one for sale PM me) to find a complete one to bolt on, just wondering if this is a viable option? Absolutely stock 225 1 barrel now with 904 and 3.21 rear gear. Not had it long enough to get an accurate mpg as it sits, but am told I can get better mpg and more power with a super six setup. MPG is the key for me right now. Seems like the availability for the 4 barrel intake and 390 carb is a lot easier. Can it be tuned for good MPG?
Sorry if a bit of a thread highjack. I hope it is in the same vain topic wise.
Cheers

I ":super sixed" my 63 wagon and the mileage went up from about 15 ish to almost 20 . It was explaned to me that the 2 barrell atomizes the feul beter than the 1 bbl causing better effeciancy(sp). The 2 1/4 " exhaust had something to do with my great mileage improvment. People have successfully tuned 1 bbls to the 20's though(light early a bodies).

I'd love to have a super six set up. Seems like all the ones you see on fleabay are incomplete though (anyone got a complete one they want to get rid of?). I heard the same thing on the exhaust as well. Not measured what mine is as yet.
On the 2 barrel it was explained to me that it was a more effecient carb, but also that in general use you run on the smaller single port and save fuel because of it. Either way, it is something I'd like to have, but have not been able to find yet.
Thought I'd struck it lucky with a Volare in (hey wait, watch those dirty minds everyone!) the scrappie last weekend, but it had a 1 barrel on it.
With the '71 Dart being as heavy as it is relatively I need all the help I can get.
Just wondered if the 390 four barrel setup would be tuned the same way?

Thanks for the reply!

I just saw this thread. I can't believe the amount of wrong info posted here. There is absolutly no way to use a hydraulic cam/valvetrain on a 170 motor without custom pushrods. You do not need a hydraulic head, any slant six head can work. Offie never made a dual port manifold for the slant six engine. For a street engine like Memike wants, any 4 bbl carb over 500 cfm is too much, and it should be a Vacumm seconday or have a air valve secondary.

I have seen the light!!:read2: And thanks for all the input here.:cheers:
390 holley is the way to go, Pricy littel sucker though.:bootysha:
I am talking to frank, and he said I can do something to a eddy 500.
He is a slant six builder here at FABO.
He will be hooking me up with 225 head a solid lifter head and some 225 push rods. Charrie_S is keeping me inline too.8)

Mike if you are using the 170 motor, do not use 225 pushrods. They are too long. It is ok to use the 225 head

Mike if you are using the 170 motor, do not use 225 pushrods. They are too long. It is ok to use the 225 head

I am late getting here !!
Thanks again Charrlie_S, you are right again.:cheers:
Lower deck = shorter push rods. 225 head solid lifters too.:-D

Below is our 66 Dart convert with Offy intake that has adapter plate to still run the original 1bbl carb. I had a Carter 4bbl on it....gas mileage went to 12mpg.....washed out the rings too.....so I changed it back to a 1bbl

Bryan

DCP_0008.jpg

DCP_2560.jpg

i had an offy single 4 with a direct coneection 6 into 1 header avs carb elec ig milled head 080 and with that eng in a 74 charger and 3 spedd stndrd and 355 gears the car was "SURPRISING"to say the least il find a pic and post

When built and tuned right they can definatly suprise you!
I've got a 3000 stall and 4.10 sure-grip and pull 20 mpg with it.

was sorry to hear about you losing your car,what kind of car were you trying to get?from only reading some of the stuff it is a 63 valiant 4door?and how far from florida are you?anyways heres some lo buck slanty pic's of stock two bbl intake w holly 350 cfm and backyard duals

duals.JPG

dual intake and exhaust.JPG

I was bored and broke and wanted duals!.JPG

two for two.JPG

Your backyard duals look great, And I see you have a stall full of A bodies.
I live in north east Arkansas.
I have the 63 valiant on the stolen car list.
the old coot finally showed up to court and said he has dispoesd of the car.
I did not have the money for the retainer, So the judge dropped it,
so it may show back up.

was sorry to hear about you losing your car,what kind of car were you trying to get?from only reading some of the stuff it is a 63 valiant 4door?and how far from florida are you?anyways heres some lo buck slanty pic's of stock two bbl intake w holly 350 cfm and backyard duals

View attachment 30628

View attachment 30629

View attachment 30630

View attachment 30631
I know this is an older posting, but I am considering doing something similar. I am concerned about the clearance between the exhaust manifolds and the intake manifold. I plan on mounting a Hurricane intake with a pre heater mounted underneath.

I know this is an older posting, but I am considering doing something similar. I am concerned about the clearance between the exhaust manifolds and the intake manifold. I plan on mounting a Hurricane intake with a pre heater mounted underneath.
A 12 year old thread back from the dead. I would agree, the AS water heat box is about 1.5 to 2 inches deep. Would not fit above that exhaust manifold set up. I bet that guy wished he had made the exhaust manifold cut a little lowere,,,

$100 is a great deal on that setup. Vacuum secondary(the secondaries will rarely if ever open with a stock engine) 390cfm holleys work best on slants, I am running a 465cfm holley cause it was free, though my engine is far from stock. Offies tend to give better torque and Cliffords tend to allow higher rpms.
I think this will be helpful: Holley 390 Tuning Tips - Slant Six Forum

I am currently shopping around for a carb, I still have not made my decision. But I am leaning towards the 390.

A 12 year old thread back from the dead. I would agree, the AS water heat box is about 1.5 to 2 inches deep. Would not fit above that exhaust manifold set up. I bet that guy wished he had made the exhaust manifold cut a little lowere,,,
I think this is a better design.

88013959_2451759728421984_1102722987708121088_o.jpg

-
Back