/6 charge wire

-

B-NA$TY

Reaction score
hi everyone working on another project with my 74 /6 duster and i need to pull consistent amps from my battery (about 8-15) .... alternator new reman with good output (13.5-14.5v), replaced crappy connectors on alternator, battery fresh, ground and pos cable clean and large 2 gauge....... i get good amp output until i have my lights, stereo,ect i know this is due to aged wires bad connectors ect,ect..

my question::: can i take a charge wire from the alternator and wire to the battery as well as the rest of the system to bypass the crappy connections and put it wear i need it?

i know its kinda fixing the wrong problem but full harness time will come later a big thank you in advance everyone

amp meter bypassed, light switch new, dimmer switch and headlights new, all other lights led, wires from starter to relay and relay to battery new, alt belt new and tension set

hi everyone working on another project with my 74 /6 duster and i need to pull consistent amps from my battery (about 8-15) .... alternator new reman with good output (13.5-14.5v), replaced crappy connectors on alternator, battery fresh, ground and pos cable clean and large 2 gauge....... i get good amp output until i have my lights, stereo,ect i know this is due to aged wires bad connectors ect,ect..

my question::: can i take a charge wire from the alternator and wire to the battery as well as the rest of the system to bypass the crappy connections and put it wear i need it?

i know its kinda fixing the wrong problem but full harness time will come later a big thank you in advance everyone

amp meter bypassed, light switch new, dimmer switch and headlights new, all other lights led, wires from starter to relay and relay to battery new, alt belt new and tension set

YES !but run it to your starter relay see this link:
http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

For head light problem contact crackedback for his headlight relay kit:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=216514&highlight=headlight+relay

Yep, with the ammeter bypass done, you are set to run the alternator output direct to the starter relay's big stud.

Take apart the bulkhead connectors and clean them and apply dielectric grease on the connections; you will be glad you did.

Run to BATT+ or the starter relay stud, whichever is easier for you (same voltage). Read up on the "MAD Bypass" (gazillion posts). If drawing only 15A max from your battery, as you state, a 14 awg wire would be sufficient, so the massive 2 awg cable you installed is a waste of copper. The drop isn't in the factory wire, but in the bulkhead connectors, as you suspect.

I agree with going with the "MAD" fix .. upgraded the charging system on my Buick with parts and advice from Mark at MAD ... and if you've got any questions or just have lot's of time to kill ,you can call Mark and if you manage to get through he will talk your ear off !

12g charge wire installed last night great results!! next im going to clean the bulk head thanks for the info everyone!!!............ and 2g battery cables were free leftovers from work and with electrical better a little bigger than too small (if only someone had that idea in the factory)lol ........... i am now pulling a consistent 11amps for my hydrogen fuel system!

-
Back