/6 Longblock Ideas

-

Rich Signet

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I picked up a 63 Signet with a /6 that burns a quart of oil every 40 miles. It blows smoke at idle and at acceleration. Since the engine is not original, block numbers tell me it is a 65, I am concidering a rebuilt Longblock. Does anyone know if it is possible to find a 63 /6? I reached out to Mabbco. They can send me a Longblock between 62 and 67. I am wondering if anyone has any other ideas. Any info is a big help. Thanks

What motor is in the car, now? A 170 or a 225. You can replace the 170 with a 225 and gain almost 45 HP. And the price of either should be the same.

If you want an actual '63 mill, I'd check w/ notpaul and follow his "compatabilty"
post a dozen or so lines down, he is trying to put a '63 225 in his '76. If he ends
up getting a later eng. to bypass dealing w/the crank mis-match,then get the
stamping from the block next to the alt. bracket and confirm it starts w/ T 22,
then running cond. wil be the only ? left 4 you. I believe he's in Dayton OH

Even the experts at www.slantsix.org are a bit iffy on the block casting no.s vs years. The early blocks had 3 staggered freeze plugs (core plugs) vs 5 in a row in later engines, starting maybe 1968. The later blocks are considered stronger, especially ~1974 which had a thicker wedge on the left front. To use a later engine (~1968 ) with its crankshaft, you need a spacer ring so its rear register hole is tight on the torque converter of your tranny. Charlie in post #2 sold me one. Perhaps TorqueFlite Patty also has them. A 225 might be easier to get parts for and extra power is nice. The last ones (~1978+) had a different "peanut" head, followed by hydraulic lifters, mostly in Aspen/Volare and 80's trucks.

Even the experts at www.slantsix.org are a bit iffy on the block casting no.s vs years.

Here Rich Signet,...http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=334367
Not talking casting no.s, date stampings of that era are just that,not all
convoluted as the later '60's which included the car line and option level.
The experts at .org have a few "holes" in the chart posted there,for what
it's worth.As far as the 5-hole block,I'm sure nobody knows when the first assy.
unit hit the line,late '67?,early '68?,who knows. If you'd be interested in a correct
stamped unit to transplant, or rebuild 1st then plop in your ride, notpaul may be
an option if the eng. is indeed a '63. Cheers !!
:coffee2:

Rich are you just looking for a stock rebuild? (I am sure less oil burning would be great! LOL)

Thanks for the info Killer6. And yesnm9stheham, I'm just looking for a stock rebuild.

-
Back