6-pack intake manifolds

-

340inabbody

Reaction score
Who originally produced the 340 6 pack intake manifolds and were they aluminum or cast steel?

Are there any aftermarket manifolds being made? I looked on Edlebrock’s site and they only have the BB version.

Lastly what were the differences between the big block carburetors in the 6 pack config compared to the small block 340?

Thanks for your reply….

Edelbrock made the OEM versions for both 340 & 440. 440 later went to cast iron. Edelbrock also made a Street Tunnel Ram race intake and some of the other manufacturers may have had a version or two, which weren't as popular.

Carbs would have obviously had calibration differences, but don't know the specifics. I believe the CFM was the same.

Eddy hasn't made LA 6pk manifolds in years, sorry to say.
Indy Racing Heads offers their "Mod Man" manifold, available with a 6bbl. top, but availability is sketchy- as with just about everything nowadays. But it's your only "new" option that I'm aware of.

Who originally produced the 340 6 pack intake manifolds and were they aluminum or cast steel?

Are there any aftermarket manifolds being made? I looked on Edlebrock’s site and they only have the BB version.

Lastly what were the differences between the big block carburetors in the 6 pack config compared to the small block 340?

Thanks for your reply….

Hi 340 There were cast iron and Edelbrock aluminum intakes for the big block and aluminum only? for the small block. I have the original Small block manifold setup. They were repopped a few years back. Everything sixpack here: The 6 Bbl tips Hope that helps.

you can find them NOS, just look around. I see them from time to time even here.

Thanks for the input. Looks like Mopar also recently made a set for their recent production 340. Not sure why if you had some demand and had the casting molds that you would do a run to restock supplies. Its a pipe dream but I always wanted a six pack since 1976 when I first saw one in person in HS in a Barracuda. That thing was a mechanical piece of art. Sounded like no other intake. Been drooling since.

Doubt any manufacturer would be interested in low volume sales.

Not sure if this is a re-pop or not. Been sitting here for a bunch of years collecting dust.

IMG_1771.JPG

IMG_1772.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG

Unless its some sort of lost casting which I think not then it would not cost much for Eddy to do a run of 500 units. I bet they would sell them all! Especially if they produced a custome set of sb tuned carbs! Who wouldn’t wantto throw that atop of a 318 360 or 340?

Carbs are pretty close OOTB. Paying for a custom tune on a 3X2 6 corner idle set up? No thanks. I’ll go through the teething pains.

Agreed. Setting the 3X2 6 corner idle is really not that difficult. I have the promax plate on my rear carb. You just use the airbleeds (cover each one) to determine mixture and adjust each corresponding mixture screw on the front and rear carbs after the center carb has been adjusted. 1/2 turn out on the outboards is usually a good starting point. Without the Promax plate you just adjust the front carb and repeat after swapping front and rear carbs. I just set mine and leave it alone.

Between the cost of the sixpack setup and difficulty in tuning it right I get why they are no longer in production.

I could be way off the mark here, but sometimes I get the feeling Edelbrock isn't going to make any more 6bbl. manifolds because they don't make a carb to fit them- only Holley...
If they ever do, it'd be nice if they made them dual-pattern so we could run 'em on Magnums, too.

I purchased mine about 5 years ago right when the market was drying up. Took me about 6 months to find and put my set together. I highly suggest not use old core carburetors, you can have too many problems with just one carb let alone three. Original TA manifolds will not have numbers on the water passage near the thermostat. All 340 manifolds were aluminum and the Mopar replacement manifolds were also cast by Edelbrock and our virtually identical. the system is very powerful and dependable when it in good shape. Idol is definitely the Achilles heel I find it to be quite sensitive even variation of temperature of 20° in water temperature will make the idle jump around 200 RPMs up or down but I can live with that it's an awesome rare system and always a crowd pleaser at the shows. Good luck on your quest!

Unless its some sort of lost casting which I think not then it would not cost much for Eddy to do a run of 500 units. I bet they would sell them all! Especially if they produced a custome set of sb tuned carbs! Who wouldn’t wantto throw that atop of a 318 360 or 340?
Mopar offered the repop intake(Eddy), the carbs(Holley), air cleaner assy, etc. thru the DC/MP program. In today's $$$ IF all of that could be found in excellent-new condition, gotta be lookin' at $3-3,500 easy....anything less is a deal.
I love 'em, but very spendy.

I could be way off the mark here, but sometimes I get the feeling Edelbrock isn't going to make any more 6bbl. manifolds because they don't make a carb to fit them- only Holley...
If they ever do, it'd be nice if they made them dual-pattern so we could run 'em on Magnums, too.

Demon made a 3 deuce carb set for all the Holley based 3X2 intakes. The Holley Carry’s more more cfm. You can still get the MoPar carb set from Holley. Expensive buggers.

Are you interested in selling this?
Not sure what I am going to do. I bought it a the beginning of my unfinished build (so far), and now after thousands of dollars into the restoration I'm not sure if I want to add this to the cost.

With Carbs intake and Air Cleaner. You are now in the $2600 range. Yes this is mine. NOT for SALE.

IMG_25071 (1).jpg

IMG_24951.jpg

I bought a complete 340 Six Pak setup back in the late 80's when I stumbled on it thru my work. I work for the power company and had an order to fix a yard light at a garage. I fixed the light and went in to tell the dude I got it taken care of, and there sat a 340 Six Pak setup against his office door. It was apparently off of a Mr. Norms GSS Demon or something, because it had one of those junky little open element "Tri Power air cleaners on it. I told him I fixed his light, and asked what he wanted for the Six Pak setup....and he said $20 and a cinder block. I asked what the conder block was for, and he said "The same damn thing that hunk o junk has been doing for 20 years.....holding that F'n door open!" I gave him $20 and went and found a cinder block! :D I went thru the carbs, and put it on the 340 in my Challenger conv when I got it done, and it ran good. Went 13.20's in that lard *** car with street tires and mufflers. I ended up pulling that motor out and selling it. It went to Tulsa, OK and supposedly ended up in a Dart.

-
Back