61 Lancer - remove instrument cluster

-

senginc

Reaction score
61 Lancer - How to remove instrument cluster??
Tried removing screws from front. Could only move a little.
Does the steering column have to drop down?

My odometer gets stuck on .9 mile. Bang on instrument cluster with wooden handle screw driver and it advances back around to .9. Sometime it will progress past .9 for 1 or 2 miles. Then sticks again. After banging 50 times or more now the speedo is stuck at 50 mph (about the speed I was driving while banging).
Maybe I knocked the pointer off?
May need some speedo/ odo internals.

Thanks

I'm not even touchin this one. I'm laughin too hard.

..lmao.. how do bang on it so much and watch the road at the same time? the visual is as good as any chris farley you could ever see LOL BANG BANG F*CKI*G POS BANG BANG

i am going to go out on a limb here and say your speedo cable is loose. and if you keep beating on the cluster, eventually it will come out

and welcome to the site and the great visual lmao

Actually I had just pulled the speedo cable out the day before and lubed it (was really noisy - quiet now). Checked it while I was out and it is still tight.
On the trip out ~25 miles I was able to get it to roll about 10 miles. After I stopped and saw the speedo stuck at 50 I didn't try anymore banging, and the odo registered about 2 miles for 25 mile trip.
And yes it was funny going down the interstate banging away.:toothy8:

But back to the point, does anyone have a clue how to get the cluster out??

I might add that I have only driven the car about 70 miles total since buying it a few months ago.. The first 20 with a screaming cable. Apparently the odo was not working then, either.

find a post from user Slantsixdan . send him a PM, he is a walking wealth of knowledge, he can tell you. ive never had a 61 , so i cant tell you. but your post was funny as all get out. just search his name in the slant 6 discussions

disconnect your battery. clean your drivers floor. get a bunch of tools and then climb in the floor with your butt in the seat, legs up in the air. You need to drop the column, there is a 2 bolt strap and then a single bolt through a hanging bracket. Behind the cluster there are a few connectors, amp meter wiring, heater control (be VERY careful with the tubes and the assembly) speed-o cable and some warning lamp sockets. get all that stuff disconnected and with ALL the screws out of the cluster, you should be able to get the deal out. go slow and don't break anything. oh yea, remember where everthing goes.

-
Back