62 valiant /6 turbo build

-
i went out and took pics of my head, can you do the same? for reference?

the exhaust is a .1" shorter in height

Attachments

• 101_4018.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 1,576
  • 101_4020.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 1,571
  • 101_4022.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 1,583
  • 101_4021.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 1,585
  • 101_4023.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,568
Oh..... :angry7:

Well, I thought it sounded like a V8..... lol!

Question here:

My cam: 220/220 duration/.484"-lift, 114-degree lobe separation

I keep hearing about how Tom and you don't seem to want to wind up tp 6 grand, instead, shifting at 5,200 rpm-to-5,500.

I just ordered a cam fron Comp Cams with these specs:

224/231 duration @ .050"-lift /484" intake lift / .525" exhaust lift/114-degrees of lobe separation to try to pick this thing up some in the 5-6,000 rpm range.

Will it work, or did I shoot myself in the foot, with this bigger cam, and bigger carb??? I have a 750 double pumper....

Am I building a 12-second car here???? Too much of a good thing???:read2:

Let me know what you think, guys, please. I don't want to kill that strong mid-range torque....

I have no experience, and your cars run SO well....

Thanks for any comments/advice!

Well, my racing partner, Freddie, did the dial-indicator/caliper ROCKER ARM RATIO check today and these rockers that we have are apparently stock ratio (supposedly 1.5:1) units that really are only about 1.44:1.

That eventuality should tone down this new COMP CAM shaft that really has what I feel is a little too much duration on the exhaust side.

I am going to still hunt for six (6) 1.6:1 rockers to use on the intake valves which only will actually be lifting .444" with these rockers. Hi-lift rockers will take it to a little over .500."

The problem, Matt at Comp Cams told me on the phone, is that these cams are ground from pre-existing masters, and they don't HAVE any masters that have .525"-lift with only 220 degrees of duration... [/I]they're apparently, all normally-aspirated profiles, which need more duration.

I could fix that if I could find some 1.6:1 rockers...

I'll keep looking!

Aaron, a question if you don't mind. How far into the port do you go when porting? I've done a few V8s in the past, but no slants. Thanks.

Well, my racing partner, Freddie, did the dial-indicator/caliper ROCKER ARM RATIO check today and these rockers that we have are apparently stock ratio (supposedly 1.5:1) units that really are only about 1.44:1.

That eventuality should tone down this new COMP CAM shaft that really has what I feel is a little too much duration on the exhaust side.

I am going to still hunt for six (6) 1.6:1 rockers to use on the intake valves which only will actually be lifting .444" with these rockers. Hi-lift rockers will take it to a little over .500."

The problem, Matt at Comp Cams told me on the phone, is that these cams are ground from pre-existing masters, and they don't HAVE any masters that have .525"-lift with only 220 degrees of duration... [/I]they're apparently, all normally-aspirated profiles, which need more duration.

I could fix that if I could find some 1.6:1 rockers...

I'll keep looking!

Bill, that is pretty close to what I came up with. When installing my cam and when checking everything I came up with 1.37:1 for a ratio. I only checked two rockers.

Bill, that is pretty close to what i came up with. When installing my cam ans checking everything I came up with 1.37:1 for a ratio. I only checked two rockers.

mike jefferies said that they can be anywhere from 1.35 to 1.45

Aaron, a question if you don't mind. How far into the port do you go when porting? I've done a few V8s in the past, but no slants. Thanks.

Strokerscamp this is my first time done a full port and polish job but I'm using 6 inch carbide burr tools and I'm removing the bulk of the material in the runners and the bowls then ill go back thru with some sand paper rolls and do the polishing
Aaron

i went out and took pics of my head, can you do the same? for reference?

the exhaust is a .1" shorter in height

Kid I got the head at work ill have to check it for u but it looks like u have the same gasket that I got from Frank.
The head is a 68 casting and the bulk of the material I removed was in the runners and I tried to feather it out to the end of the ports. Trying to becareful of the water jackets but I did remove a sh** load of iron I did some bowl work today and I can't beleave how much casting slag I removed ill try and post some pics on Saturday
One last thing I plan on getting the head flow tested as soon as I get it done and I'll post the numbers
Aaron

Kid I got the head at work ill have to check it for u but it looks like u have the same gasket that I got from Frank.
The head is a 68 casting and the bulk of the material I removed was in the runners and I tried to feather it out to the end of the ports. Trying to becareful of the water jackets but I did remove a sh** load of iron I did some bowl work today and I can't beleave how much casting slag I removed ill try and post some pics on Saturday
One last thing I plan on getting the head flow tested as soon as I get it done and I'll post the numbers
Aaron

yea there is alot of material to take out! and ugly castings in some places...

thx

That was very educational, to say the least....

Back about 40 years ago, there were two guys from Michigan (I think they may have been Wally Booth and Richard Maskin; not sure) who ran an AMC Gremlin (and then, a Hornet) in NHRA's highly competitive Pro Stock series, where cylinder head airflow was the defining factor, as these cars were all normally-aspirated.

The Hemi was king, followed closely by Big Block Chevys, and a couple of Big block Fords.....

The little AMC didn't stand a chance!

UNTIL, these two guys from Michigan modified their AMC "true wedge" heads in the following way:

They took 4 heads and cut them up, made horizontal slices, length-wise making the bottom "half" a little taller than the matching piece on top, and they cut THAT piece a little over halfway down; NOW, the "bigger-half" bottom piece was attached to the bigger TOP "half", so, the head they now had was a good bit TALLER than the original head, with commensurately taller ports! Taller ports = BIGGER ports and more flow through those ports.

They now had a head that flowed so much air, that NHRA banned what they'd done because they were outrunning everybody!!!!

I think that a /6 head, in the right hands, could benefit similarly from a modification like that, but I don't have a CLUE as to who could pull it off.

Any suggestions???

Bill I was amazed when I started cleaning this head up there is so much hidden potential I can't wait to get the head in for a flow test. I got about 11 hours of working it and haven't begun to polish the Damn thing I have to work tonite so ill try and post some updates today on the bowl work I did

Does anybody no about how much a stock head flows?

Aaron

That was very educational, to say the least....

Back about 40 years ago, there were two guys from Michigan (I think they may have been Wally Booth and Richard Maskin; not sure) who ran an AMC Gremlin (and then, a Hornet) in NHRA's highly competitive Pro Stock series, where cylinder head airflow was the defining factor, as these cars were all normally-aspirated.

The Hemi was king, followed closely by Big Block Chevys, and a couple of Big block Fords.....

The little AMC didn't stand a chance!

UNTIL, these two guys from Michigan modified their AMC "true wedge" heads in the following way:

They took 4 heads and cut them up, made horizontal slices, length-wise making the bottom "half" a little taller than the matching piece on top, and they cut THAT piece a little over halfway down; NOW, the "bigger-half" bottom piece was attached to the bigger TOP "half", so, the head they now had was a good bit TALLER than the original head, with commensurately taller ports! Taller ports = BIGGER ports and more flow through those ports.

They now had a head that flowed so much air, that NHRA banned what they'd done because they were outrunning everybody!!!!

I think that a /6 head, in the right hands, could benefit similarly from a modification like that, but I don't have a CLUE as to who could pull it off.

Any suggestions???

very interesting bill!! have to figure out how much flow the valves can handle so you dont drop velocity but other than that it would just take time...

Bill I was amazed when I started cleaning this head up there is so much hidden potential I can't wait to get the head in for a flow test. I got about 11 hours of working it and haven't begun to polish the Damn thing I have to work tonite so ill try and post some updates today on the bowl work I did

Does anybody no about how much a stock head flows?

Aaron

like 100 on the intakes and 80 on the exhaust.... crappy

on the polishing use those blue and red things... use both on the exhaust and just the course one on the intakes, use marvel mystery air tool oil too.....

yea i have those saved on my computer! do you have any of the measuments to give us an idea of how much material is there?

I loanded the cut head about 2.5 years ago and the person has vanished. I can't get them back. Only reference is the quarter in the shot.

Sweet pics I saved them to my phone thanks. Tom do u ever get to Milan dragway or in the Jackson Mich area?
Aaron

I've never raced at Milan but get there once in a while. Have been to the Jackson cruise a few times when I go to Red Barns. I usually take my Super Bee on that trip.

Bill, Booth was from Michigan....Booth and Arons had a shop in Berkely, MI...they did the machine work on my first 383 back in the 80's.

Here's the pics I promised of a couple bowls that I did but keep in mind I'm still not done
Aaron

Attachments

• IMAG1065.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,540
  • IMAG1067.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,530
I loanded the cut head about 2.5 years ago and the person has vanished. I can't get them back. Only reference is the quarter in the shot.

I've never raced at Milan but get there once in a while. Have been to the Jackson cruise a few times when I go to Red Barns. I usually take my Super Bee on that trip.

The furniture place? Where do u do your racing?
Aaron

When you get that going let me know I want to see it i get to milan alot with my truck. Or hopfully the valiant is done

The furniture place? Where do u do your racing?
Aaron

I usually race at Lapeer. Mopars at the Red Barns is in Hickory Corners.
http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/html/events.php

-
Back