62 valiant /6 turbo build

-
Definitely an awesome thread, how much did it cost you to get the stock manifold done up like that?

Jeff

Jeff I cut the manifold and prepared it myself the turbo flange cost me 15 dollars and I had I local welder do the welding for me he charged me 10 bucks so with some time and 25 dollars u see what I got
I'm very happy with the results
Aaron

I was reading one of your first posts in this thread about the turbo that you plan to use and wouldn't it be a better idea to have a turbo that started making boost at lower RPM's and not top out at such a high rmp since slants tend to top out at a pretty low RPM

Just a thought

Jeff

Well that is awesome. I am looking into turboing a slant and throwing in a 4speed OD tranny so I can use it as a daily driver car.

Jeff

Jeff I cut the manifold and prepared it myself the turbo flange cost me 15 dollars and I had I local welder do the welding for me he charged me 10 bucks so with some time and 25 dollars u see what I got
I'm very happy with the results
Aaron

Well that is awesome. I am looking into turboing a slant and throwing in a 4speed OD tranny so I can use it as a daily driver car.

Jeff

One BIG difference in a normally-aspirated V8 car (small blocks in particular) and a turbocharged /6 is that in order to get the best quarter-mile performance out of the V8, you need a rear axle ratio somewhere in the mid-to-high-4's or low 5's so that the engine is at its power peak as it goes across the finish line... usually around 6,000 rpm or higher, whereas the turbocharged /6 motors seem to like final drive ratios in the high 2's, or low 3's, making them good street cars in terms of rear axle ratios.

I know this sounds bizzare, but Ryan's car and Ton Wolfe's cars both have responded to this practice the same way; they have gotten faster and quicker as they have each changed their final-drive numbers into the twos.

Something about a turbo engine responding well to "being held back" like a nitro motor...

That would seem to nullify both the utilization of a manual 4-speed overdrive and the avoidance of a 904-type automatic transmission, as highway driving would be ideal with the 2-series of final drive ratios with the turbo /6 engines!!!

Food for thought...

Well that is definately something to think about that then. I did not know that. As far as turbo selection what are the best turbo's to get that are still a reasonable price. I was looking into the Garrett GT32 family turbo's. I was also thinking about using a stock 2.2L turbo off a Daytona or a Charger or something along those lines as they are usually pretty easy to get. I am also kinda a neat freak on certain things so I would want the inside of the engine bay to be as... "organized" as possible. I really like the way that you modified the stock manifold and am planning on doing the same thing.

Jeff

Well that is definately something to think about that then. I did not know that. As far as turbo selection what are the best turbo's to get that are still a reasonable price. I was looking into the Garrett GT32 family turbo's. I was also thinking about using a stock 2.2L turbo off a Daytona or a Charger or something along those lines as they are usually pretty easy to get. I am also kinda a neat freak on certain things so I would want the inside of the engine bay to be as... "organized" as possible. I really like the way that you modified the stock manifold and am planning on doing the same thing.

Jeff

well the turbo should be on an engine least near the same cid or rev alot higher...

turbo's like load...

you have a lot of bowl work to do! and grind those bumps for the valve guides into nothing!

Kid how's this look I got about 20 hours into this head and I still got to do the combustion chambers then I can get it to the machine shop to get fitted for new valves and springs and to get shaved and O-ringed
Aaron

I LOVE WHERE THIS THREAD IS GOING STAY TUNED!!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMAG1068.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,491

Jeff

I made my turbo selection after reading shakers and Ryans builds there making the numbers And turning in the kind of time slips that influenced this build I had all intention of building a V8 but they prove u can go fast with a slant
I to plan on putting a 833 in I have a OD and a standard 833 also i bought a 8.75 with 4.56 gear but like Bill said that's way to much gearing Ryan and Shaker are using high 2's and shifting at around 5500 rpm's witch I never would have guessed that !!!!!!!
As far as the turbo goes I got a great deal on it and its comparable to Ryan and shakers
Aaron

i will post some pics of a mate 6 soon

http://
DSC00141.jpg
I can't wait to see them pics
Aaron

this is the same az a truck six engine in the seventys ,std block head ,std crank h beam rods forged piston 8.2 comp and power glide ran a best of 8.6@160 mph when it was 3000lbs now is a bit lighter comeing out in the next mouth hopeing for some sevens 1/4

I haven't had any opportunety to get he combustion chambers polished yet but I hope to get the chance to get them done this week
Stay tuned!

Aaron

O
Any updates Aaron?

Ian, what 6 is that? I'm not familiar with it. Sure looks trick though.

Ryan the head is ready to go to the machine shop to get milled and o-ringed and larger valves installed I got side tracked the last couple weeks in and out of the hospital for stones so hopefully in the next week ill have some progress
Aaron

That thing is Sweet looking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cant wait to see the vid of that thing !!!

Any updates Aaron?

Ian, what 6 is that? I'm not familiar with it. Sure looks trick though.
its a 6 that replaced the slant 6 over here in 1970 we had a rt valiant charger with triple webbers on it ran 14.4 az a factory car , i think the engine was in small trucks in the usa ,that one in the pic will run high 7 i/4 in that car when sorted 2 bolt block std caps cast crank 245 cubic inch, glide we will have it out in 4 weeks to start testing.

-
Back