62 valiant /6 turbo build

-
Here is a couple pics I've been doing some alignment with my turbo manifold and intake manifold I also got my 650 DP set up for a blow through system mounted onto the intake manifold
I did run into a small problem with the turbo manifold I'm going to have to add a second turbo flange I need about a 1/2 inch of more clearance in a couple areas and I think by adding another flange I can get the clearance that I need

I've been have some problems trying to find a machine shop in the Jackson Mich area where I can take my ported and polished head to so I can have it O-ringed and flow tested but I'm still looking

I have been working on the chassis I'm in the process of moving my re leaf springs inboard and installing my caltrac set up and my 8 3/4

So stay tuned
Aaron

Attachments

• IMAG0006-1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,287
  • IMAG0002-1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,321
  • IMAG0005-1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,280
I just received my double roller timing set today here is a pic
Thanks Charrlie S

Aaron

Attachments

• IMAG0011-1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,235
Here is a couple pics I've been doing some alignment with my turbo manifold and intake manifold I also got my 650 DP set up for a blow through system mounted onto the intake manifold
I did run into a small problem with the turbo manifold I'm going to have to add a second turbo flange I need about a 1/2 inch of more clearance in a couple areas and I think by adding another flange I can get the clearance that I need

I've been have some problems trying to find a machine shop in the Jackson Mich area where I can take my ported and polished head to so I can have it O-ringed and flow tested but I'm still looking

I have been working on the chassis I'm in the process of moving my re leaf springs inboard and installing my caltrac set up and my 8 3/4

So stay tuned

Aaron

Oh, we WILL!!! That baby is gonna HONK!!!

I love it.....:love7:

here are the pics of my first mock up or the turbo/intake combo

Attachments

• IMAG0024.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,372
  • IMAG0029.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,395
you gonna put a mini starter on that? they give you more room and take less power

Yes I'm going put a mini starter on it. That's the only way ill be able to hook my down pipe up, I'm doing mock up work right now

Man. that looks nice!!!! Thanks for the pictures, and for the update!

This thing is gonna COOK!!!

Puhleease keep us posted; this project is a textbook case of going REAL fast on a budget/build that won't break the bank!

Can't wait to see the times it's gonna generate.:cheers:

You go, guy!!!!

I got my head back from my machinists last week and the assembly went great I decided to only take .080 off the head and I had hardened seats put in the exhaust he didn't have the capability to flow test or cc the head but it came back looking great

I also got the back half of the car back together I relocated the leaf springs and installed my 8 3/4 rear end
I decided to run my stock springs with the cal trac setup instead of the super stock springs because all the research I've done others have tried the SS springs with the caltrac setup and the ride was way to stuff and the car sets to high so thats why I decided to stick with the stock springs but will see if I made the right call!
But I was every pleased with how will the rear suspension went back together GREAT IT WAS A RELIEF I've been trying to get this part of the project done for over a month

Now I can turn the car around and work on get the 62 /6 out of the car and get ready to install my donor motor

Sorry I can't upload any photes from my phone but ill try and get some up in the next couple days

Thanks
Aaron aka "turbo toad"

here's some updated photos taking today of the Toad under its new suspension

the last two pics are of the finished head it turned out great

Attachments

• IMAG0118.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,288
  • IMAG0125.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,223
  • IMAG0121.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,257
  • IMAG0095.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,266
  • IMAG0096.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,268
here are the pics of my first mock up or the turbo/intake combo

Nice work on that turbo/exhaust manifold mount!!!!

If you decide to sell a copy of that modified manifold (with the turbo mounting flange) please let me know....

I LIKE it!!!!:love4:

Wow, it sure did!!!

That thing is gonna fly....

Yah Bill I'm very happy with the progress that I've made I've only had the car since Oct of last year but guys like u and Ryan and Tom have helped me out considerably with your insight and knowledge ill admit ill try some different things then u guys and I may make a couple mistakes but Bill u got to believe I'm going to have a ball doing it.

I can't believe u and Freddie are so close I hope everything goes good for u too in the next couple of weeks I check for updates daily on your PROGRESS REPORT

I've got some question for u guys where did u tap into for your oil feed line for your turbo?
Also I'm running my waste gate about in the first six inches of the down pipe but I'm not sure on the size what do u think?
Can u give me some idea where the best spot to place the blow off valve is it close to the turbine or after the boosted air travels through intercooler?

Aaron aka TURBO TOAD

Yah Bill I'm very happy with the progress that I've made I've only had the car since Oct of last year but guys like u and Ryan and Tom have helped me out considerably with your insight and knowledge ill admit ill try some different things then u guys and I may make a couple mistakes but Bill u got to believe I'm going to have a ball doing it.

I can't believe u and Freddie are so close I hope everything goes good for u too in the next couple of weeks I check for updates daily on your PROGRESS REPORT

I've got some question for u guys where did u tap into for your oil feed line for your turbo?
Also I'm running my waste gate about in the first six inches of the down pipe but I'm not sure on the size what do u think?
Can u give me some idea where the best spot to place the blow off valve is it close to the turbine or after the boosted air travels through intercooler?

Aaron aka TURBO TOAD

With regards to: "guys like u and Ryan and Tom have helped me out considerably with your insight and knowledge" Believe me, I thoroughly appreciate your kind words, but PLEASE don't put me in a category with Tom and Ryan, Charrlie and Frank.. I am in NO WAY an expert with /6's since I have NEVER built one, normally aspirated nor with forced induction.

In short, I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING, even though I run my cyber-mouth a lot. What little I know about these things, I learned from Tom, Frank, Ryan, Charrlie S., and miscellaneous postings on this, and the /6.org BB.

Those guys all have EXPERIENCE, and firsthand knowledge, a commodity that is nowhere to be found with Freddie and Bill. Just wanted to clear that up. When our car runs as well as these guys' turbo cars, then I might feel like handing out advice, but don't hold your breath; it ain't hit a lick, yet....:disgust:

I am flattered that you have an interest in our project, and I'll keep you and the other people who have any interest in our effort, as well as I can.

RE: "I'm going to have a ball doing it." I am glad to hear you say that, but in my opinion, you're going to have a LOT MORE fun, after that thing gets dialed-in. Get ready for some gut-wrenching accelleration, because that baby is going to make your head go funny.... I truly believe that.

Now, from what little I DO know, RE: "where did u tap into for your oil feed line for your turbo?"

We haven't done that yet, but when I did that similar operation on my supercharged car, I just put a "T" fitting in my oil pressure gauge threaded female fitting in the block,, beside the distributor. Used one of the braches for the gauge and the other for the turbo. It has worked well, so far. I'm assuming we'll do the same thing on this /6 turbo.

You asked, "I'm running my waste gate about in the first six inches of the down pipe but I'm not sure on the size what do u think?"

I think ours is a 50 mm, not sure because it was a gift. Maybe someone who has knowledge on this subject will chime in on what size is appropriate... sorry.

Once again, I can't answer your question, "Can u give me some idea where the best spot to place the blow off valve is it close to the turbine or after the boosted air travels through intercooler?

I think it usually goes just before the carb hat, on that delivery pipe, but I don't know if it makes any difference...

BIG lightning storm here... gotta shut this thing down, now...

I started to o ring the block. Here's some pic of the first pass I made at .025 and the second pass will be at a total of .030 man the groove tool is easy to use but its time consuming but it is turning out wonderful
Here's a link check them out sorry I can't upload pics from my phone anymore I'm not sure why
Aaron

http://s1109.photobucket.com/albums/h431/srixon4406

I started to o ring the block. Here's some pic of the first pass I made at .025 and the second pass will be at a total of .030 man the groove tool is easy to use but its time consuming but it is turning out wonderful
Here's a link check them out sorry I can't upload pics from my phone anymore I'm not sure why
Aaron

http://s1109.photobucket.com/albums/h431/srixon4406

That's the ONE THING we didn't do to our engine (O-RINGS) that will likely come back and bite us.

Where did you get the O-RING cutter-tool?

Which ARP studs did you end up using? Ours are 220,000 psi.

That's the ONE THING we didn't do to our engine (O-RINGS) that will likely come back and bite us.

Where did you get the O-RING cutter-tool?

Which ARP studs did you end up using? Ours are 220,000 psi.

Bill I found a guy in Minn that rents it out for $30 a week plus shipping and shipping came out to a total of $20 but I had to put a $300 deposit down that ill get back minus the $50. Which I thought was a great deal considering the O ring cutter runs around $320 oh one more thing they make two different size cutters and the slant uses the (100 series)

As far as the ARP studs I couldn't get a hold of the 220000 psi so I had to settle for the 200000 psi

yep.. ARP even says 200K in their catalog

We did that group buy about a year ago; they have probably changed (improved) specifications since then.

He told us 180,00psi at that time.

Thats GOOD; 200,000psi with O-rings should be plenty!!!:cheers:

Holy s#!t you guys. This whole thread is making me more confident and lean towards thrashing my plan of building a stroker small block in favor for a boosted slant..... Damnit. Hahaha

-
Back