62 valiant /6 turbo build

-
Ok I sent the camshaft out today I should get it back by next week I also just received my lifters and harmonic balancer so as soon as the cam is back ill beable to get the motor back together and ill be dropping the motor into the engine bay!!!!!!

I'm on track for the first week of June

Aaron

I ran into a little problem today I was installing my ARP MAIN STUDS today the the rear most main cap studs are sticking up about 3/8'' to tall

I think I'm going to have to Chase a tap down the threads to see if I can make up that 3/8" I don't want to try and alter the main stud any so this is my only option!

If anybody has ran into this problem and has some advise for me it would be much appreciated I posted this problem over on .org

Thanks to all
Aaron

Wel I can say with a fair amount of certainty that you should be chasing the threads for studs period,no exceptions. So go back and do the rest,it's kinda mandatory. You will need a set of bottoming taps.

Wel I can say with a fair amount of certainty that you should be chasing the threads for studs period,no exceptions. So go back and do the rest,it's kinda mandatory. You will need a set of bottoming taps.

Thanks for the great info I took the time this morning to Chase out the threads and reinstall the main studs and problem solved

Thanks again FABO

Aaron

Lol,yup! Motors full of metal shavings from the tap. Damn ya just cant win! Just so you know the reason why you needed to tap the holes fully;it's for full thread engagement. Thats partly where a stud gets it's strength. So in the future ANY hole that gets a stud gets chased with a bottom tap first,right?

Lol,yup! Motors full of metal shavings from the tap. Damn ya just cant win! Just so you know the reason why you needed to tap the holes fully;it's for full thread engagement. Thats partly where a stud gets it's strength. So in the future ANY hole that gets a stud gets chased with a bottom tap first,right?

even for the valve cover bolts! sucks but when your done its worth it...

Yah I found that out about the thread engagements ,my concern was I usually don't have very good luck with taps I break one about 1/3 of a time but I was very careful and took my time
Thanks again now I got to chase the head threads next
Aaron

Aaron, I see that you'll be running a manual trans, have you looked into what clutch you are going to use yet?

Update
Here's what I've been doing I re gasket the rear end and I installed the new sure grip unit I picked up a couple weeks ago 2.94 I had a friend of mine go through it and check it over.

I talked to organ camshaft today they said they were preparing to start working on my turbo grind camshaft so it looks like I m still on track to getting the motor back together next week.

You can always check the Photobucket link for updated photos!

Aaron

Update
Here's what I've been doing I re gasket the rear end and I installed the new sure grip unit I picked up a couple weeks ago 2.94 I had a friend of mine go through it and check it over.

I talked to organ camshaft today they said they were preparing to start working on my turbo grind camshaft so it looks like I m still on track to getting the motor back together next week.

You can always check the Photobucket link for updated photos!

Aaron

I am really impressed with your great progress. Makes me feel lazy.... :(

You go, guy... that thing is gonna FLY!!! Probably be a GOOD RACE for your '67 Cuda!!!!

Ok I'm back from my 4 day trip to North Dakota to see my step son graduate from high school me and his mom are very proud of him!!we love u Jake

Ok back to business the camshaft should be here tues or wed the motor is painted and the ARP studs are all installed so as soon as I get may camshaft back ill get the motor back together and I'm hopeful for getting my power plant installed before I have to go back to work on Sat nite:cussing:

I got a couple things done last week I finished the install of the hyd clutch master cylinder with a firewall brace. I had to mod may clutch pedal go figure right! And I started to run may brake lines for the final install of the master cylinder and wildwood portion valve. Man I still got a whole lot to do!

1 install and degree the turbo cam
2 final assembly of my turbo motor
3 finish running my brake lines and reinstall the steering wheel and button up the pedal assembly
4 install a couple boost ref barbs one in may intake manifold and one in my carb hat
5 work on cutting may trans tunnel and installing the 4 speed hump
6 buy a bunch of fittings and fuel line for may fuel delivery system and work on getting very thing installed

These are just some of the things off the top of may head of things I'm hopeing to have done in the next week or two but I could go on and on:cussing:
This doesn't even began to mention the install of the motor or having to hook up the hot and cold sides of the turbo

I've been doing a ton of research on meth injection and I was hoping to get some opinions on running a meth injection without a intercooler there is a bunch of guys over on the turbo forums making 600 plus HP with no intercooler and a single stage meth injection setup that there AFR numbers are very good.
I'm getting close to ordering my piping soon and I need to decide which route to take.
I'm defiantly going meth injection!

Ok I could go on and on when I should be outside working in the garage!!!!!!! lol

I Update photos on Photobucket every couple days so check the link out below:director:

Stay tuned the TOAD IS GETTING CLOSE:nike:
Aaron

Heres a couple of pics of the final mock up of the motor before i do the final assembly im still waititng on my cam shaft hopefully by tomarrow but we will see.
Aaron

Attachments

• 1307058936007.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 988
Im realy hoping there will be video of that /6 beast being broke in,plus some nasty burnouts! Looks like it's all coming together nicely! Well done.

What is that bonnet from? Looks plastic. Are you sure it will be strong enough? Just asking.

Shaker its a old Buick t type bonnet from there early blow through setups.I needed something low profile because I had to add a carb spacer because the carb linkage wouldn't clear the manifold but I'm still going to have to alter the hood a little bit. But no its not plastic it steel and was chrome but I sprayed it with high temp paint and baked it in a oven
Aaron

Nice work. Im learning off your build. I Like that carb hat.

Well, my racing partner, Freddie, did the dial-indicator/caliper ROCKER ARM RATIO check today and these rockers that we have are apparently stock ratio (supposedly 1.5:1) units that really are only about 1.44:1.

That eventuality should tone down this new COMP CAM shaft that really has what I feel is a little too much duration on the exhaust side.

I am going to still hunt for six (6) 1.6:1 rockers to use on the intake valves which only will actually be lifting .444" with these rockers. Hi-lift rockers will take it to a little over .500."

The problem, Matt at Comp Cams told me on the phone, is that these cams are ground from pre-existing masters, and they don't HAVE any masters that have .525"-lift with only 220 degrees of duration... [/I]they're apparently, all normally-aspirated profiles, which need more duration.

I could fix that if I could find some 1.6:1 rockers...

I'll keep looking!

Bill, was surfing,and found this site,hope it helps !!!

http://www.pentastarparts.com.au/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=811

Aaron, Are you going to be supporting the weight of the turbo and manifold with something, or are you just going to run it and see? I went with some supports because I used the stock 2-bolt flange and it didn't look like it would seal all that well with the weight hanging off there.
On a side note, I just got my pump ( GSL392 ), my regulator ( mallory 4309 ) and my fuel pressure gauge ( 0-30 psi ) just showed up this week so I'm getting closer to putting my stuff back in, I'll let you know how the pump and regulator are to setup...
Matt

Aaron, Are you going to be supporting the weight of the turbo and manifold with something, or are you just going to run it and see? I went with some supports because I used the stock 2-bolt flange and it didn't look like it would seal all that well with the weight hanging off there.
On a side note, I just got my pump ( GSL392 ), my regulator ( mallory 4309 ) and my fuel pressure gauge ( 0-30 psi ) just showed up this week so I'm getting closer to putting my stuff back in, I'll let you know how the pump and regulator are to setup...
Matt

Matt I probably will fab up some kind of support for the turbo manifold
Also I went with the same fuel delivery system walbro 392 and the mallory 4309 and I'm in the process of getting a couple more parts and I too will be ready to install this beast

i final was able to get the motor into the toad today:headbang:

check out the photo bucket link for updated photos
Aaron

-
Back