63-66 convertible windshield gasket.

-

cobrabike

Reaction score
I found a winshield gasket listed on ebay and the atlas chry website listed to fit the convertibles. The part number is 706-589 with the chrome strip listed as 801-332. They are listed with no id to manufacturer. The cost is a bit high at 221 for the set. Has anyone on here had any experiaence using this gasket?

Thanks

I avoid Atlas auto parts. whatever they are selling you can buy it for less elsewhere. They don't make anything they are just resellers of others parts. I'd go to metro molded products/softseal as it 's likely their gasket that Atlas is selling.

Metro didn't list a gasket for my '69 dart vert. I purchased one from Dante's. It was direct shipped from Precision Products.

You could contact Precision, Steele Rubber Products, others, and probably find who makes it and maybe even get a better price. At least you know you can get it. Gaskets for some models aren't available at any price.
Good luck

Thanks for the info. I've tried to find Precision on the web with no luck. Do you have a listing I can go to? Neither Steele nor Metro make a convertible windshield gasket. They suggest using the one for the coupe and add to the top.
M

Did anyone ever find a windshield gasket for a vert? I need one for my 65 and so far no luck...checked those mentioned above and they do not carry

Did anyone ever find a windshield gasket for a vert? I need one for my 65 and so far no luck...checked those mentioned above and they do not carry

I've got a pair of used ones from a 65 Valiant and 65 Dart convertible I parted out. It's just the main gaskets, no lock strips

If your old one is not torn, they can look terrible and still be salvageable. Mine had a brown brittle coating with lots of overspray from a cheap paint job, but it wasn't torn or cracked. It took a flat screwdriver blade to clean the grooves, lots of rags, and a quart of lacquer thinner, but by the time I finished it looked like a new part, and my clothes and gloves looked like I had been playing in tar. The guy who installed the windshield thought the gasket was new, and three years later it still looks good.

How much for the 65 Valiant w/ shipping to 29651? Thanks

The lock strip is redily available either black or chrome mylar..
Mickey

How much for the 65 Valiant w/ shipping to 29651? Thanks

The lock strip is redily available either black or chrome mylar..
Mickey

Nope....The correct concave stuff is not readily available....the incorrect convex stuff is available at pretty-much any glass shop. It's also used for GM pickups,etc.

I found a winshield gasket listed on ebay and the atlas chry website listed to fit the convertibles. The part number is 706-589 with the chrome strip listed as 801-332. They are listed with no id to manufacturer. The cost is a bit high at 221 for the set. Has anyone on here had any experiaence using this gasket?

Thanks
I have not used this gasket but there seems to be a slight difference between the hardtop cars and the convertibles.
For some reason I can't remember(old age could be it) if it's the top inside or top outside rubber lip that is bigger on the convertible than the hardtops. (I think it's the inside lip that is bigger and the inner trim is supposed to cover or run right up to on the convertibles) the hardtop one has a bit shorter top lip by 3/8th or so than the convertible gasket. On the 65 I did a loooong while back I used a hardtop gasket and just used a strip of black vinyl(it might have been 1" wide electrical tape) to cover the shorter top rubber lip and then added trim so it would look good. it was a cosmetic difference rather than a shape difference since the convertible usually gets inner and outer trim. The correct lock strip is a harder to find thing . windshield is the same convertible or hardtop.

Just arrived yesterday, I'll try to do a test fit this weekend to see if it lines up correctly

Took me a while to get all my trim back on, but I got the gasket installed and everything lined up right

Last edited:
Took me a while to get all my trim back on, but I got the gasket installed and everything lined up right

Can you post a picture of how it looks on the inside top where your trim and sunvisor mounts go? also along the sides if possible
thanks. (I'm just curious as to how much different the convertible gasket is than the Hardtop gasket and if it's worth going the extra money for it)

Can you post a picture of how it looks on the inside top where your trim and sunvisor mounts go? also along the sides if possible
thanks. (I'm just curious as to how much different the convertible gasket is than the Hardtop gasket and if it's worth going the extra money for it)

Here are a few pics...my sun visor brackets are out being chromed right now so I have not been able to put them on yet

20160714_192327.jpg

20160714_192539.jpg

20160714_192345.jpg

Here are a few pics...my sun visor brackets are out being chromed right now so I have not been able to put them on yet

View attachment 1714950836

View attachment 1714950837

View attachment 1714950838

thanks . it looks like there is just a bit difference with the hardtop vs the convertible seal. my hardtop seal has a smaller lip and the trim just covers it where your (the convertible seal looks to be about 3/8- 1/2 taller in the top trim area.) I'll live with mine since it's so small a difference.

-
Back