63 Dart 4 door conversion to Pickup..

-

DeucesWild

Reaction score
So I have not had much luck selling my dart as people tend to not want a 4 door and of course some rust issues. I had the crazy idea of converting the car to a pickup by cutting out the rear glass and moving it forward just behind the front doors. I won't get into all the fab work that I will have to do as I know there is a lot. So am I crazy for trying to do this? The car is not worth much so I don't care that much if I mess it up.

It will be a lot of work; a wagon might be a better choice for a conversion. Of course you gotta work with what you got!

Here's a bad pic of the proposed alteration

IMG_7737.jpg

Current pic, Got to measure things up to see how tough it will be but I have plenty of sheet metal around and need to hone my welding skills so it may be an interesting project.

IMG_7737.JPG

Remember it is a uni body and will need braced before any cutting begins or it will be junk after the 1st cut.

Really too bad Ma never made a Dust'amino, Plycharo, etc, LOL

21869d1334384868-65-falcon-ranchero-front-shocks-ranchero.jpg

Thanks Chryslerfat, that was the kind of comment I was hoping for, so brace up the inside before cutting the back of the roof off? Or jack up to get the weight off the wheels? Sorry first time doing this lol.

Been doing a lot of reading up on this type of a project and I will add in some extra supports. I was also toying with the idea of perhaps not a pickup but just extending the trunk by the amount I cut out. Almost like a pickup with a tonneau cover on it except it's the trunk lid. I project about a 30" removal of the roof between the back of the front door to the back of the rear door. After I weld in the rear back with window the car will still have a significant "structure" to it rather than someone trying to make a convertible out of a hardtop. Need to read up on this some more before cutting anything though..

I would put braces in it before even jacking it up to pull the wheels. Once cuts are made to the roof the back of it will want to fold upward.

First thing I would do is get some homemade frame connectors on there with some 2 buy 3 steel sections that are 4 feet long. Then get some steel for some cross bracing on the inside of the cabin in places where you aren't going to cut. I like the idea of your project and I agree it's a good car to do it on as it's not worth a whole lot but it's your car you can do whatever you want with it. There's still loads of Ford or Dodge Darts out there so have at it. I mean hack at it. :)

Thanks for all the tips guys! What I am thinking of doing before any cutting is to weld the rear doors closed. That should keep some of the stability in place and since I am cutting the roof right behind the front door pillar that should also help with the integrity of the structure.. I think I'll have to see how it looks once cut up and welded back in place before I decide to just lengthen the trunk lid and keep the back closed up or to open it up like a pickup bed.. I like both ideas at the moment.

I would say no. I know there may not be much interest in a 4 door. But the time and money you will put into all the fab work to do such a conversion will be astronomical. You are better off taking what you can get for the car the way it is. You will loose a ton of money if you sell after the conversion. If you can find someone that has interest in that type of conversion. To do it right you will way more than to brush up on your welding skills. Not to mention the equipment you would need to fabricate panels that do not exist.

Point taken, not sure if I'm going to do it yet and no the SawZ-all didn't come out yet, been too busy with other projects at the moment.. maybe during the winter.

I did it to a Belvedere once..a Bel-Camino.
Lots of fabrication. LOTS!
I actually finished all the metal work, but ditched the project when I changed shops, and didn't have the space or need for it anymore.

So what are u wanted for the dart
where are u located
more info on the dart

I think it will look horrible as you pictured it. The sail panel needs to be removed and it should be vertical there. Like that Ranchero up there ^^^^^^ that would look MUCH better, IMO.

We'll see Rusty Rat Rod, if someone want's it I'll still sell it before cutting it. I am leaning towards just extending the trunk lid instead of a true El Camino look. That way the look as is may work better. Making it vertical like the ranchero would be a ridiculous amount of extra fab work.

-
Back