69DARTS

69 Darts Rule
Reaction score
Putting new drums on the front of my
63 dart
what the best way to install
hub back in to the drum
thank u

Just press studs in it then install the hub. The drum will center itself on the register of the hub (center). The replacements are not swedged like the factory.

What I am asking is can I tighten the lug nuts
will that bring the hub back into the front drum
1 used drum
1 used hub
5 used studs
had a bad hub got a good used 1
All oe stuff not after market
or will it all need pressed back togather

The original studs are "riveted" so to speak (swaged) at the top. YOU MUST use a tool to remove the swage, and then the new drums can just "sit" on the studs just exactly like the rears do. I have no idea why the factory thought they "needed" that in the day.

Rusty posted on here you can use a hole saw with no pilot, in a press

"Poor man's swage cutter:"

Poor Man's Swage Cutter

A "real" cutter:

ST-437-500-562.jpg

I pressed 1 hub out
and changed it with a good used front hub
do I need to press the new used hub back into the drum
Or can I tighten the lug nuts to bring it in
or do I need to chang lug studs

If you "pressed" the original hub out of the drum, then probably at this age the studs were not still swaged; the drum could've been stuck on the hub. Clean up the replacement hub, especially around the machined edge of the center. Clean the drum too. It should fit together without a lot of effort. If it took a lot of force to seperate the orginal hub from the drum, especially if the studs were swaged, it's quite possible the drum got warped. You can check this by how true it runs when it's all assembled on the spindle; it should clear the backing plate and have zero wobble when being spun. Once a drum is removed, the swaging cut or studs forced out with a buck behind them, the drum should go back on without difficulty or a need to press.

-
Back