63 Spd Manual wont shift into First

-

CaseyW

Reaction score
I have a 63 Valiant with a stock 3 on the tree, and I am having issues getting the the car into first gear. I have had these issues since I got the car a month ago, but it seems like the recent heat has made it worse. I have ATF fluid in the transmission as per the manual, but every shop I have called said to use 80-90w oil, so I am going to switch that asap.
If I start the car in first, its ok, I am just not able to shift back into first, there is a loud grinding and its impossible to get the car in gear unless I turn the car off. The clutch pedal was soft until the very bottom, so I lengthened the adjustable bolt in the linkage and that helped for a while, but it seems like the problem has just come back, and I'm not sure if its the heat or just a coincidence. Could it be the light ATF fluid?
Also, is it true this transmission has no syncho in first?

Hello, Check the linkage, see if you have both bushings on the arms or do you have metal against metal. I had same problem and I made my own bushings for the arms and it shifts great now. Good luck!

You are correct, there is no synchronizer for first so you have to stop with it in second, then shift into first.

ATF??? these trans are loose... they are not made with the super tight tolerances like the new ones... use 80-90...

as for the Non progressive first (Non synco) it has straight cut teeth... so they dont just mesh together on a whim... they have to be at the right RPM and tire speed... my 65 belvedere wouldn't get into 1st from second any slower than about 10 mph... and that was if i had my RPM's just right...

first is only for a start...

as for adjusting the clutch and then having it go soft again... sounds like you ready for a new clutch...

Hello, Check the linkage, see if you have both bushings on the arms or do you have metal against metal. I had same problem and I made my own bushings for the arms and it shifts great now. Good luck!

One of the bushings is pretty trashed to the point the rod slips through where the bushing should be up the shaft a little bit. They are rubber bushings that you are speaking of correct? Any hints on remanufacturing them or where they might sell them?

You should come to a stop riding in nutural, then shift to first.

Yea I do, It won't shift back into first. I have to start it in first with the clutch in, otherwise, even with the clutch pushed in at a dead stop, I'm unable sometimes to get the car into first.

You are correct, there is no synchronizer for first so you have to stop with it in second, then shift into first.

Therein lies the problem, no shifting to first unless I turn the car off, shift into first, then start the car with the clutch in, in first gear.

ATF??? these trans are loose... they are not made with the super tight tolerances like the new ones... use 80-90...

as for the Non progressive first (Non synco) it has straight cut teeth... so they dont just mesh together on a whim... they have to be at the right RPM and tire speed... my 65 belvedere wouldn't get into 1st from second any slower than about 10 mph... and that was if i had my RPM's just right...

first is only for a start...

as for adjusting the clutch and then having it go soft again... sounds like you ready for a new clutch...

Yea, the PO had the clutch replaced less than 2,000 miles ago, but that was 10 years ago, so I guess sitting around didn't do it any good. Sometimes, even when I have the clutch pedal all the way down, it sounds like I can hear the clutch scraping the flywheel.

Yea, the PO had the clutch replaced less than 2,000 miles ago, but that was 10 years ago, so I guess sitting around didn't do it any good. Sometimes, even when I have the clutch pedal all the way down, it sounds like I can hear the clutch scraping the flywheel.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the throw out bearing is toast.
Time to tear into the clutch.

•I agree with Sireland67!
"Sounds like the throw out bearing is toast.
Time to tear into the clutch." There is a missing tooth or worn down tooth on one of those gears!

•John's Mustangs.. has the rubber bushings you need for the linkage, the bushings fits most make linkage
•Mac's.. antique auto parts has them as well
•Dearborn.. Classics has them as well

I am old school, so I went to your local hardware store and bought a solid rubber bushing with a 1/4 in. hole, 1 in. o.d. Then I curved out the side all the way around, leaving a rubber side on each side. Don't cut to the hole, leave a 1/8 of an in., then using the metal washers as a sand witch around the bushing, (washers that should be still on your linkage). You will have to make two for each linkage. Add metal washers to the lower arm next to tranny, until just alittle play. NOW... you have a tight shifter. Good Luck!

It could be a lot of things, but it is NOT a transmission problem

Worn clutch linkage

Worn bent clutch fork pivot,

Pressure plate defective,

Pilot bearing trying to "drive" the input shaft, etc etc

"It's time to get dirty."

I have had some luck getting it back into first by shifting it into reverse, then down into first. Not sure why, but it works 1-3 times. Otherwise I am shutting the car off, putting it in first and starting it again, or putting it in second and gassing it.
It could be a lot of things, but it is NOT a transmission problem

Worn clutch linkage

Worn bent clutch fork pivot,

Pressure plate defective,

Pilot bearing trying to "drive" the input shaft, etc etc

"It's time to get dirty."

I'm already dirty from my other car, this was supposed to be my daily :(

Sounds like a clutch/throw out issue.

•I agree with Sireland67!
"Sounds like the throw out bearing is toast.
Time to tear into the clutch." There is a missing tooth or worn down tooth on one of those gears!

•John's Mustangs.. has the rubber bushings you need for the linkage, the bushings fits most make linkage
•Mac's.. antique auto parts has them as well
•Dearborn.. Classics has them as well

I am old school, so I went to your local hardware store and bought a solid rubber bushing with a 1/4 in. hole, 1 in. o.d. Then I curved out the side all the way around, leaving a rubber side on each side. Don't cut to the hole, leave a 1/8 of an in., then using the metal washers as a sand witch around the bushing, (washers that should be still on your linkage). You will have to make two for each linkage. Add metal washers to the lower arm next to tranny, until just alittle play. NOW... you have a tight shifter. Good Luck!

Thanks for the great info!

-
Back