63 Valiant disc brake swap kits?

-
Ugh! Just discovered two of those studs are loose...I literally pushed them out with my finger. Checking to see how I legitimately remove the studs for that broken one, assuming 'push with finger' is not in the DSM.

Replacing the studs should be no problem as long as the hole in the axle shaft hasn't been ruined. Even still, you can probably drill them and find an oversize stud shank that still has a 7/16 threaded section. IIRC, '63 didn't come with self adjusters, so, they've probably been added sometime in the car's life. They're a good idea though. Get a complete hardware set for a later model that came with the self adjusters. If it were me, I'd just order everything for a later model.....shoes, wheel cylinders, etc. I'd also go bonded instead of riveted, but, that's my personal choice.

If you have one good tight stud, thread a lug nut onto it so it's flush with the end of the stud. Tap on it with a hammer to remove. You just drive it out toward the backing plate. Then test fit the good stud in the holes where the loose studs were. If it fits tight, the hole is probably ok and you just need to get some new stock studs (probably RH ones as LH ones are getting a bit hard to find) Get matching lug nuts if necessary. Installing the studs is easy also. Just start the stud coming in from the back side. Use a socket or stack of washers over the stud and tightened a lug nut to draw the stud all the way in the axle shaft until the head of the stud meets the back side of the flange. Repeat on the rest of them. Done.

Alright, finally got to it. Old studs all off, rear brake parts ready. Going to detail up the hubs, new studs in, new brakes on back. Lines and front all ordered from DrDiff. I'll take after pictures on rear brakes and post! Thanks for all your advice, really appreciate it!

Aaaagghhhh!!! Those are BEAUTIFUL! BUT I just ordered a kit last week from DrDiff. Rotors came in today, and the rest should be in over the next several days.

Good luck on the sale, you've restored them to artwork and I appreciate you reaching out to me on them.

Steve

Well, in my case, a week or two, too late, with you.
That's the way it goes sometimes, in the parts selling world.
Good luck to you too, with your project.
Jim V.
hemi71x

Last of the parts came in today! Hope to do significant work over the next few days, and I'll let you know. Cass was super-helpful with me, all the parts look and feel high quality, and I'm super-stoked!

Alright, rear done, blowing apart the front. Have questions on the MC. As always, any help appreciated!

Again, 63 Valiant, drums, single MC, going to DrDiff dual MC and disk swap.

The old MC had a gasket/insulation and a boot over the pushrod into the MC. The DSM shows a return spring, though I don't think mine had one.

1. There wasn't a pushrod, boot or spring in the kit...do I re-use the old pushrod, or should I expect a change in length? How do I adjust/fit/measure what I need and if I need a new one, where can I get one (I'm assuming I can parts store later model Mopar, but idea on a good one, or do I ask/check info from Cass?
2. The gasket/insulation, boot, and spring. Do I need them, and if so, same...where to get and what Model/year would be a 'best SWAG'?

Appreciate it!
Steve

Cass just sent me an email on it, I'm all set. Old pushrod good, don't need the spring, gasket, or boot.
DrDiff, whoo!

Thanks,
Steve

-
Back