64 273, 904 kickdown

-

Claydart

MOPAR to the very bones
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How much can I adjust my kickdown to kick in without it breaking something?

It won't break anything, it just won't upshift. I always adjust mine up for a slightly higher rpm shift.

You can adjust it way up there, but at some point the k/d linkage will prevent the throttle from fully opening...that would be too much!

If you’re still running the original linkage, I would consider going to the later style 3 piece linkage with the slotted slider rod at the carb. It has more adjustment, and is a much safer setup.

Mine was adjusted so that I had to just about stand on the pedal to get it to downshift. So I took it out for a ride yesterday, and tried it on a nice and clear road and stood on it. I really had to apply pressure with my foot to get it to downshift. So I got it home and popped the clip off the rod and screwed it out about four or five turns and took it back out for a test drive. It shifted at about 7/8 of the way to the floor. Should it be any higher than that?

The kd arm is supposed to be all the way back when the carb is all the way open. That's where you start.

-
Back