'64 Altered Wheelbase Dart

-

funnycar farmer

Reaction score
Here's some photo's we took took today of my project '64 AWB. With each little bit of work, its slowly getting closer to ripping up the dragstrip. Final color was chosen today as well off the '64 Dodge Ditzler color sheet. It'll be the ivory white / That'll lend itself very well to the handpainted letttering.

http://public.fotki.com/bowtie0069/newshoppix/page14.html

Dale

That is one old crappy pos.

Really that is one cool project,the work looks great.:thumrigh:

Your `64 is looking AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's going to be one sweet ride when finished. You plan on driving it on the street? If so, good for you. THAT will stand out in a crowd. Even in SoCal!

Very nice AWB car.....With you and Steve working on these darts I was wondering if you guys know of any body parts for 65 darts.I will be going to the fall fling...hope to see your AWB car there.

Bob Munoa turned me onto mine after he caught wind of what I was trying to do, so I have and will give him credit for finding me a rust and bondo free car. To date, I've not found one teaspoon of body filler on it!! Steve and I did come across an old codger out in the Riverside area that had somewhere between 40-60 A-body cars, alomst all of which had a fine film of cement dust on them. But he was cagey about his stash, and we never did a follow-up. Munoa has quite a bit down on his spread, but very little early a-body parts. I'm always keeping an eye out, and try to grab stuff when I can. Right now, I've been collecting the hard parts to do these straightaxle conversions. Dodge axles, trannies, rear-ends,etc...

Thanks for getting back to me.....I've been looking for a deck lid for this 65 gt for about 9 months now, these one year only cars are a pain in the ***.

I am glad to see that someone has done this. For about two months I have been thinking about how a 63-65 A would turnout as an altered gasser.

Great work!

So far, I'm glad to hear all the interest has been positive. We spent two days up at SEMA talking with some people, and once we tell of our little circus, smiles show up on all the faces. I spent some time at the Cragar booth, and hooked up with some of the originators of the wheel. Good news! In a couple months, they will be offering lug specific wheels!! No more Uni-luggers!!! I curse those darn things! But, what this means is there is enough want of these old Cragars, no doubt due to the gasser movement. Hooray!!! Does not look like we'll have it running for the 'Fling, but it'll be one heck of a roller with Steves. I'll be over at his place this week, tying up some welding loose ends. His Max Wedge will be in the car. And, we should have the DVD's to hawk. I'm looking forward to hanging out on Sunday. Pray for killer weather!!!

Its hard watching the World Finals on the T.V. We had hoped we could be there this year, re-living the sixties in true match bash fashion to show the public what it was like over forty years ago when the sport was gathering steam. Funny cars have sure come a long way, huh??

You are a sick man, farmboy!

This will be the badest car on FABO, maybe in the world.
Everyone on here will be proud of your car.....and scared shitless of it!
Great job

So far, I'm glad to hear all the interest has been positive. .....

Much snippage

.....(W)e should have the DVD's to hawk. I'm looking forward to hanging out on Sunday. Pray for killer weather!!!

Not as much snippage

....Funny cars have sure come a long way, huh??

Yeah, but they all look alike - but DAY--UMM they're fast and quick!!!

I had some correspondence with Ted Detar, the son of Gene Snow's original engine builder for the first Rampage cars some time ago. He mentioned that these ultra short wheelbase cars got pretty squirrelly on the top end, thus the extended front ends that came in after the first few years, and thus the end of the door slammer funny cars.... AAHHhhhh, PROGRESS!!!!!

When will the AWB construction videos be available and how much are they. I would like to order one.

Mike

Got a chance to look over your work at Fall Fling. Really cool idea. I wish I
were closer so that I could bring my 64 over and have the front end done. That was my original plan but no one up here has the nads to try something like this. I'm bringing the Dart down for Springfling so maybe I can get your thoughts on possibly doing the straight front axle setup on my 64.

Hey Dale...It was nice meeting you and Steve and Mike at the fall fling.The cars are badass...brings back alot of memories.Maybe I can talk the Mrs into doing a little
body work on her 65....hehe

Later

It was real great visiting with you and your family as well. Funny listening to you and Steve- alot of mutual people you both know!

After seeing the response to the cars, I ,er,ah, put up for sale one of my sacred Chevrolet (OUCH!!) powerplants that I had on tap for some future heads-up racing. Since Chrysler won't be dropping any Max-Wedge's from the sky anytime soon, funding from this engine should prime the pump so to speak to get something put together that'll live a healthy wheel-standing life!

Dale

-
Back