64 cuda sheet metal assembly

-

Garry

Reaction score
The foam pieces pictured below came from the front lower fender area somewhere, Somewhere is the key word here. I made a note on a piece of paper but I can't understand my own description, go figure. I guess a picture would have been worth that thousand words. There is memory on them and I think one side was glued I believe one on each side of the car, they are 3/8 x 1& 1/2 x approx. 6" long. Any help anyone? Many thanks !!!

Attachments

• DSC01117.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC01118.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC01078.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 217
I went through my Cuda owners manual and I could not find any foam gaskets in the fender area. The only place I could find a mention of foam gaskets was in the door by the vent window inside the door.

My 66 Valiant has these ! If I look down the front frame rail as I am looking under the hood on both sides, I can get a picture, this morning if need be, my slant 6 is out and easy to see where these go,

They go down in the triangle shaped hole where the frame rail meets the floorpan! Supposed to keep dirt out!! The slice in the is where the pinch weld of the firewall/floorpan goes through! Geof

Attachments

• image.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 144
I have just seen them installed, when painting. As mentioned, run along the top of the frame rail, way down where the floor pan meets it at an acute angle, you will see white foam. Amazing it holds up so well after 50 years.

They go down in the triangle shaped hole where the frame rail meets the floorpan! Supposed to keep dirt out!! The slice in the is where the pinch weld of the firewall/floorpan goes through! Geof

x3 or 4... They were on my '65 when I took it apart. Ar first I thought it was some cheap body repair...lol. They'll go back in after it's painted - they are "natural" finish...lol.

Yes those wedges are there (1 per side between the frame rail and floor pan. They are close cell foam. very durable. I cut new ones from closed cell, hi density packing materials taken from recovered computer shipping boxes. the stuff is virtually the same!

Those 2 strips in the OP look nothing like the wedges....I don't think the strips are the same thing. I have no idea where those go.

Yes those wedges are there (1 per side between the frame rail and floor pan. They are close cell foam. very durable. I cut new ones from closed cell, hi density packing materials taken from recovered computer shipping boxes. the stuff is virtually the same!

Those 2 strips in the OP look nothing like the wedges....I don't think the strips are the same thing. I have no idea where those go.

I agree his photos do not look like the wedges.

The foam pieces pictured below came from the front lower fender area somewhere, Somewhere is the key word here. I made a note on a piece of paper but I can't understand my own description, go figure. I guess a picture would have been worth that thousand words. There is memory on them and I think one side was glued I believe one on each side of the car, they are 3/8 x 1& 1/2 x approx. 6" long. Any help anyone? Many thanks !!!

I don't know if it is, but could they be these? mine were about 1/4 thick and looked similar. mine is a 66 dodge so it's slightly different than the 64-65's valiant/ cuda's
they went on the rear splash shield and sometimes stuck to the firewall/lower rocker area. right near the Wedges
View attachment !!!!!!!!Small white foam piece on splash shield.jpg

66 Dvert you nailed it that is the location I took care of those triangle pieces a long time ago and put new ones in Thanks so much!!!

-
Back