'64 Dart, '73 Scamp. What's the difference???

-

64Dart270

Space Cadet
Reaction score
Looking for a starter for my '64 Dart 225/6 online. The '64 starter is unavailable. So, I punched in a random, later-model Mopar. The '73 Scamp. Bingo. They have THESE starters all over the place. I would assume that there wouldn't be any significant difference. But, before I go yanking out my starter and rolling to Napa, I'll toss out the question:

What's the difference????

none, zilch, zero, nada.......you can use pretty much any starter for RWD dodge, chrysler, plymouth cars and truck. i have one from a 90s dakota v6 on mines its smaller and gives more clearance from the headers

none, zilch, zero, nada.......you can use pretty much any starter for RWD dodge, chrysler, plymouth cars and truck. i have one from a 90s dakota v6 on mines its smaller and gives more clearance from the headers

That's what I've heard. Just wanted to make sure before I went out and got one. Was worried about the off chance of a mismatched pinion gear or some other nonsense.

THANKS!!!

You will regret it if you buy a "remanufactured" starter (of any spec for any year). They are unreliable junk and they sound like hair-raising hell every time you turn the key. If you want a new original Chrysler starter, you can get it from Old Car Parts Northwest. If you want to swap to the mini starter, see here.

You will regret it if you buy a "remanufactured" starter (of any spec for any year). They are unreliable junk and they sound like hair-raising hell every time you turn the key. If you want a new original Chrysler starter, you can get it from Old Car Parts Northwest. If you want to swap to the mini starter, see here.

Thanks Dan! you just saved me the research I was just about to do. Wanted to avoid the remanned. Had an old Buick Nailhead and the only option was a reman. I swapped the same two starters in and out every six months for years before I finally found a new one (modern gear reduction). I agree. Unless no other option exists, I avoid the reman starter at all costs.

I pulled a mini-starter off a RAM truck at PickNPull for my 273. Should fit a 225 fine. I fondly remember how easy it was to change the starter in my 69 Dart 225 - standing up, bolts in plain view, ample room to swing the wrench. Think how easy a small starter half the weight will be. It also sounds better.

I recall paying $10 with the battery cable (leave stuff on and they often don't charge for it). You can get rebuilt ones on ebay for ~$50, even less if you keep bidding. I have 2 but haven't tried them yet, so don't know if Dan is right about the quality.

If you strip a RAM at the junkyard, while under there you might grab the power steering cooler on the side frame. I put that on my 65 Dart.

Not finding many "new" starters out there. At least not OEM. The Dodge dealer wants an arm, two legs, and a lung for a Mopar mini (upwards of $200). Was going to go the junkyard route but was wondering if a quality aftermarket "performance" unit would be affordable. I came across this one.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFF-6084B/

Any input? It's Pretty affordable. Small, torquey, and new. Just not familiar with the brand. Anyone try this one?

Yer makin' it harder and more complicated and expensive than it needs to be. The one from Summit is a Chinese knockoff -- sure, they say "Denso" in the listing, but note how that's not the brand, it's the "starter style". Can't recommend it.

Ya know, if you can't find a real Chrysler/Nippondenso starter for money you're happy spending, the $75 or $80 or so for a brand new genuine Chrysler starter from OCPNW as previously linked...looks pretty good. You won't have to think about the starter for another few decades. Sure, the mini starter cranks faster, but the original type was certainly adequate for most of fifty years…!

Not finding many "new" starters out there. At least not OEM. The Dodge dealer wants an arm, two legs, and a lung for a Mopar mini (upwards of $200). Was going to go the junkyard route but was wondering if a quality aftermarket "performance" unit would be affordable. I came across this one.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFF-6084B/

Any input? It's Pretty affordable. Small, torquey, and new. Just not familiar with the brand. Anyone try this one?

I have never used a Tuff Stuff starter but used an alternator of theirs and it works great for me. Also is it not made in China.

The Summit one is probably the same $50 rebuilt one I bought on ebay with a markup to their pockets. I suggest buying 2 from the junkyard for $10 ea and carry the spare in your trunk. That will weigh the same total as the original (w/ better weight distribution) and give you 100% reliability since you have backup. Just carry the wrenches needed to swap. I can't do this in my 273 because removing even a mini-starter is a #!@$, but almost a fun job in a slant six.

A Saturday morning junkyard run is in order. See if I can find one hidden among the Mitsu-Eagles, and Caravans which seem to over-populate the Mopar section of my local boneyard.

After removing, testing and determining the current starter is good, I put that on the backburner. Also replaced relay and Ign switch. Both original (except the first 'mileage plus Napa reject IGN switch) and CRUSTY. I tracked the CLick-click to an out of adjustment shift cable. Which leads to a whole new thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1598591#post1598591

where you at in LB Brother? I can bring you a 50 lb original starter if you need one. Just collecting dust in my rafters....Sure its got a shark bite out of the pinion bell, but it works fine. PM me. I go back to work in LB tuesday...

where you at in LB Brother? I can bring you a 50 lb original starter if you need one. Just collecting dust in my rafters....Sure its got a shark bite out of the pinion bell, but it works fine. PM me. I go back to work in LB tuesday...

Thanks!!
PM sent

I pulled the starter out of my 94 Dodge van/318 and installed it onto my 67 Barracuda/273 with no problem. I wanted a smaller starter in the Cuda. I then took a new large starter (which was lying around) and stuck it in the van with no problem.

A big thanks to Pishta for the hook-up! Dropped the new/used starter in and it starts and cranks every time. Funny that the starter I had tested ok but, it was the original factory starter (I have every receipt in the cars' entire lifetime). That threw me for a loop. Saves me a lot of unnecessary and fruitless diagnosis. Thanks again. Very cool of you to help a fellow FABO'er out!

-
Back