64 Dart GT convert arrived today- a novice is happy

-

rdb

Reaction score
Deal went down 3 weeks ago... some worrisome issues with the carrier, but it got here finally, a week late. It seems to drive ok, have to get it inspected, brakes seem ok. I didn't know it had power steering and it's effortless, almost too effortless. Had not sat behind the wheel of this model in 39 years.

Radio works but maybe not as loud as it should be. Heard there are places where you can trade yours and $ in for a refreshed one... true?

Only thing that doesn't work is the washer button... won't push/move in.

Power top seems ok. It will be getting new paint and new top --ideally which would be done first?

I would really like a 3 on tree in this automatic, but have to find a black steerring col in real good shape and pedals, etc.

Also it has the wrong (V8 size) air cleaner housing. How do I tell if I have the the 170 or 225?

Are gear ratios same for 3 speed manual and automatic?

View attachment 2014-10-03 14.41.05.jpg

View attachment top_down.jpg

Nice car!

The manual has a different rear gear ratio...IIRC

Here, from Wiki:

Standard axle ratios in 1964 were 2.93:1 with automatic transmission and 225 engine, or 3.23:1 with manual transmission and 225 engine, or with 170 engine and either transmission. A 3.55:1 ratio was optional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Dart

I'll be taking out a 3 on the tree from my '64 Dart Wagon, but you're in Maryland, so you're probably be better off finding something local. If not, let me know.

Will post some more pix.

Well just getting started... as much as I would like to do paint/top now, putting a 3 on tree in ahead of that would be most logical.. or else you ahve to pull engine twice..

Also if you go from pb/auto to 3/tree, does rear end/differential have to change?

Knowing nothing, I am guessing the 3 speed manual hooks up to the 225/slant no prob.
I will be wanting a super clean black steering c ol and shifter. I just could not find a slant/power top/clean black interior w/ a manual. Had to be very few 3/trees on GT.

Also need smaller Charger 225 air cleaner housing. I got a sticker in case, but finding a nice original would be best.

This reads 43xxx, but with the wear on the wheel, (gloss worn off) I bet it has been around once.

"Radio works but maybe not as loud as it should be. Heard there are places where you can trade yours and $ in for a refreshed one... true?"

I don't know if he is a member here but on MOPARTS.com there is a member, BIGMONEYLEWIS or BIGLEWISMONEY, (something along that line) that restores MOPAR radios. Never used him but never heard anything negative about his work either....Paint looks nice from the pics. What's wrong with it?...bubbling, 20 x 20 job (looks good rolling 20mph @ 20 feet away)
.....looks like a keeper, Nice ride, bro!

I have a slant 6 1 barrel air cleaner I will send if you pay shipping.

The one in the photo is what it looks like. It needs painted and needs the sticker, but it's usable.

Attachments

• image-1680868105.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 270
I don't know if he is a member here but on MOPARTS.com there is a member, BIGMONEYLEWIS or BIGLEWISMONEY, (something along that line) that restores MOPAR radios. Never used him but never heard anything negative about his work either....Paint looks nice from the pics. What's wrong with it?...bubbling, 20 x 20 job (looks good rolling 20mph @ 20 feet away) .....looks like a keeper, Nice ride, bro![/QUOTE] Going to put on a 1970s FM converter for the radio. The idea was to re create the car I had .. so it will be the ivory color they had w/ black spears, and black top. Current color is too bright/garish for me.

Sweet car! I've got the 3 on the tree in my 63, and a manual top, with no ps/pb.

I dig your idea of the FM converter for period coolness. I found a neat converter on ebay that's either going in my Dart or Galaxie.

Car looks great. I had a guy in Washington state take my old radio and put all new modern guts in it. 40WX4 channels. Their are a few companies that do that!

Nice convertible .

You can tell the difference between the 170 and the 225 by looking at the length of the bypass hose coming out of the water pump.

or you can just look at the numbers stamped on the block near the coil.

Only thing that doesn't work is the washer button... won't push/move in.

May be its a manual pump...look on the floor next to the hi-beam switch for the manual foot pump, as in...

img0002xtz.jpg

Was this the ragtop from Locust Grove and Craigslist?[/QUOTE

I saw that one but I was holding out for a black interior. There was a CL one out in WI was better than this one in a few ways, but would have been another 1000 in price and when add in going out to see it, and hauling costs... I still have that one on my mind tho.

Very nice ride...............thanx for sharing the pics w/ the forum...........

Phil J

Hey, nice car, In am in the process of taking out a push button auto and installing a 3-speed on the floor. I bought a donor car and took all the parts that I need and still have some of the parts that you might need. I have a 3-speed steering col and pedal set, shift linkage for 3 on the tree, if you send me a PM, maybe we can work something out. I am in MA.

-
Back