64 Slant carburetor problems

-

cchrishefish

Reaction score
My rebuilt Carter carburetor is now 7years old, and acting up. I believe it needs a rebuild. I purchased my current rebuilt carburetor from Champion Carburetors which had to be repaired because a gasket was installed upside down during their rebuild process. Therefore, I am probably going to avoid buying a rebuild from them again. Also, they only carry the Holley as of this date. I have rebuilt 1 barrel carburetors from my ford 200 engines back in the 1990's with great results. But, it has been a long time. I see that the carburetorshop.com has rebuild kits, and of course, daytonaparts.com, has rebuild kits for my carter. I am debating on trying to rebuild myself or buying an entire replacement carburetor. Which would be the best long term solution, based on your experiences?

Kind of strange, but yesterday, my car stalled out 4 different times waiting at stop signs. So, I sprayed the carburetor with wd-40, adjusted the air fuel mixture, changed the fuel filter, and sprayed the carburetor with some gunk carb cleaner. Took the car out for another drive, and it stalled 2 more times. So, I parked the car, and decided to look into a rebuild. This morning, I started the car up and drove it for about an hour, and no problems at all. Perhaps, my cleaning fixed the problem, for now!

had similar problem some years back,, timing chain (318) was getting out of whack. replaced it and fixed the problem.

Wondering how often is the car being driven and if you're using a fuel stabilizer. I have seen ethanol laced fuel turn to goo after it sits a while. A good fuel stabilizer combats that problem.

Wondering how often is the car being driven and if you're using a fuel stabilizer. I have seen ethanol laced fuel turn to goo after it sits a while. A good fuel stabilizer combats that problem.
The car is driven once or twice per month during the Summer. Yes, I do use fuel stabilizer, every time I fill up regardless of whether it is ethanol gas or non ethanol.

The cleaning probably helped. Suggest if you do a rebuild, see if a brass float is available for the Carter. One of the problems I had with the Holley on the Mordor was a float that didn't (the other being a dud accelerator pump). A replacement float would have worked, but brass is less affected by ethanol.

Yours is probably a Carter BBS. You can download a pdf manual free from a search (I did). It is very similar to the more common BBD 2-bbl, used on many cars including most Mopar 318 V-8 and even Super Six slants, so much info on tuneup. Yours is unique w/ the rotating rod throttle input, instead of a cable.

Was the weather drier or any different when it ran well versus ran poorly in the recent few days? Your symptoms could be ignition related as well as fuel. How did it act exactly when it stalled out? Did it gradually sputter to a halt, or did it die more suddenly? Is it only displaying this particular symptom?

When it idles rough, try spraying short shots of starter fluid down the carb throat. If it smooths out, it is running lean, most commonly from a vacuum leak. If no change, it probably isn't fuel related (check spark). I once got a Jetta idling great on just starter fluid at a picnic (found fuel pump failed). The girl didn't understand why she couldn't drive home like that (me under the hood spraying?). If too rich, it will usually idle smooth but pour black smoke from the exhaust.

To help us ID your carb, post photographs of it. Original equipment could be a Carter BBS or a Holley 1920. "Remanufactured" carbs such as the Champion unit you put on are notorious for not working well.

All the Carter BBS and BBD carbs have brass floats, there is no other kind for them.

Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

The rebuild kits from www.daytonaparts.com have the best design of inlet needle/seat assembly. Nobody's kits include a proper float gauge any more, though; they just have a useless paper-strip ruler. So once you ID the carburetor, you might also want to get an old kit (eBay) to raid the float tool from.

-
Back