64 Studebaker Daytona???

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was at Dads last night changing the PS pump on Loris car and Dad showed me a 64 Studebaker Daytona that was featured in his "Old Autos" newspaper he gets every month. Very cool looking little car! 289 V8 with a 4spd stick! Front lap belts, front disc brakes...never heard of it before, was the 289 dare I say it Ford?? Bet that thing would fly!!
Here's some google pics of them

Attachments

• studebaker-daytona-02 (Medium).jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,753
  • 64-Studebaker-Daytona_DV-11-PH_09 (Medium).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 867
  • 1964_Studebaker_Daytona_two_door_rear (Medium).jpg
    78 KB · Views: 785
  • 1964_studebaker_daytona_3-800-600 (Medium).jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 802
  • 1964_Studebaker_Daytona_Convertible_(Les_chauds_vendredis_'10) (Medium).jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 722
66dartman is correct. The only time Studebaker used another company for engines was in 1965-66. They used a McKinnon engine for the last two years of production in the Hamilton, Ontario plant. This was after they shut down South Bend production.

Hey- You didn't expect a wing did ya?The 259 and 289 were a Packard design.I have a 1959 pickup with a factory 289 4 bbl,three speed overdrive.Google Packard hawk and you will see one of my babies-but try to hold back on the "catfish" jokes ok????

Funny, I always thought Stude made the Hawk.

LOL, I googled Packard Hawk...I hear ya on the catfish! Cool/sleek looking car Don! What is your 59 pickup??

Oh cool!! I used to own a '62 Lark Daytona convertible in high school, but never actually got it running. I LOVE Studes! I don't know if there is a cooler dash setup than a 50's~60's Hawk......nothing but metal, chrome and glass faced gauges. Yup.....and if you read up on the R3 engines, they were quite beefy and well-engineered. Check out this article about George Krem's car "Plain Brown Wrapper", a factory Paxton supercharged R3 that has done 12.83 @111 MPH in the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags. It's actually called a Studebaker CHALLENGER, but it's basically a Lark.

http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/151/

DSC_0083a_1.jpg

I see a lot of similarities in styling in the 61, 62 Valiants and this Stude....

Attachments

• DSC_0161a_2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 515
I get paarts from Studebakers west in Redwood city Ca. Ok just a shameless plug for the boys.NOS and used

I owned a 57 Studebaker Transtar truck with 289 for 32 years. Great truck. Excellent power, economy and reliability.

The Studebaker V8 wasn't a Packard design. I was introduced in 1951 as a 232 C.I., then increased to a 259 and a 289 C.I., long before before the Studebaker/Packard merger. It was designed by Studebaker engineers E.J. Hardig, T.A. Sherger and S.W. Sparrow in 1949 and was modeled somewhat on the Cadillac V8.

The reason the early Valiant and Studebaker Lark front ends look so similar is because they were both designed by Virgil Exner.

Funny, I always thought Stude made the Hawk.
That and Much More,...My great grandad had one of these,...Used to be a Dealership in town when I was a wee lad,...Now they sell Rubu's, but the guy still has a Stude Wrecker/Pick up...

I currently have a 63 studebaker Lark Daytona 2 dr HDTP !
63 was last year Studebaker were made in USA .. 64 to the end in 66 they were made in Canada !
These are great cars & i always have been impressed with how thick the metal they used on all Studebaker cars & trucks !
Studebakers prices are undervalued .. kinda like the Mopar A-Bodys

My buddy just sold his all original 63 Avanti 289 four speed factory supercharged car. It ran pretty good, but was ugly as sin!!!

My buddy just sold his all original 63 Avanti 289 four speed factory supercharged car. It ran pretty good, but was ugly as sin!!!

Yeah, Stude's were never the prettiest cars,...but they were supposed to be durable/practical as hell..

My dad had a Silver Hawk in the 60s (red/white two tone). First car I remember. Really cool car and yes Studebakers were way ahead of their time.

Attachments

• 3194971295_117c42af92.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 621
The dash photo is from a 1962 Studebaker Gran Turismo.... I know this cause I own one.

Back in 1967 the guy that was our back door neighbor and down a couple houses had an Avanti R2 and a Lark with the same engine. He claimed he just ordered the stuff to convert it from the Studebaker parts counter. I'm not sure if it was exactly an R2 engine but I am sure it had a Paxton supercharger on it. I never got a ride in that car but he did give me a ride in the Avanti and he sure impressed the neighbor kid! I've been a bit of a Studebaker fan ever since!

Buddy has a 64 Avanti with almost 200,000 miles, supercharged that he bought new in Indianapolis in 1964

Still looks great and runs too.

Like the old trucks and wish I had bought a 35 Presidental hot rod coupe

Some were real sleepers

-
Back