64 valiant - identify this electrical part?

-
Radio noise suppression condenser (capacitor). Mounts on the coil bracket, wires up to coil POS terminal.

All cars have three or 4 caps / condensers

1.....If you have a breaker point distributor, one in there helps form the spark, and also protects points from burning This cap has nothing to do with radio noise suppression.

2....One on the back of the instrument cluster to suppress the voltage limiter noise

3....One on the coil for radio noise

4....One either in or on the alternator for radio noise made by the alternator

5....One either on or inside the radio case as a final suppression measure for noise radiated from the 12V power lead. This is usually in an "LC" network consisting of one or more caps and one or more inductors, and sometimes resistors, in a combination circuit.

Thanks. It was broken so thats why I could find anything not running correctly because of it and the radio is out of the car.

The detailed explanation helped.

This car has a pertronix in it so I wondered if the pertronix might have made it redundant.

and unless you listen to AM radio, you don't need any of them.

and unless you listen to AM radio, you don't need any of them.

Well actually that might not be true. Any electronics is (can be) sensitive to RF and pulse noise on a system, so having it filtered is a good thing.

As a now somewhat inactive amateur radio operator, I HATE the modern world and what it has become. What some call the "RF noise floor" has increased tremendously in the last 20 years. This is akin to sitting in a very large room full of people, who start talking, whispering, and then slowly get louder and louder, until you cannot hear the person you are actually trying to talk with.

The FCC is no help at all. There was a so called program that "officially" was supposed to be involved to bring broadband internet to rural areas by transmitting data over ............get this..........power lines.

ANY decent RF engineer knows that idea is pure bullshit. What you are trying to do, there, is to use power lines for an RF feedline which was never designed for the purpose. Sort of like using a garden hose for your natural gas or LP furnace. It just doesn't work.

What "BPL" DID do was radiate all kinds of nasty noise. And the FCC just looked the other way, and no longer does the FCC have the staff, the money, nor the will to enforce much of anything.

So you add up, all the appliances with microprocessors, your washer, dryer, microwave, all the switching power supplies for your cell charger, your ethernet hub and modem, your plasma TV, your this and your that and pretty soon "radio" just doesn't work, anymore.

If you made it through this rant, THE SAME THING occurs in your car electrical system. Various "stuff" makes noise. Any switch, relay, regulator, ECU makes noise. And these caps help filter that out.

Does it have any smoke left in it???

All electronics run on smoke. If you let too much, or all of the smoke out, it won't work anymore....

Smoke carries electrons like blood carries oxygen to the body. If there isn't enough smoke in there, then the electrons can't flow....

Well actually that might not be true. Any electronics is (can be) sensitive to RF and pulse noise on a system, so having it filtered is a good thing.

As a now somewhat inactive amateur radio operator, I HATE the modern world and what it has become. What some call the "RF noise floor" has increased tremendously in the last 20 years. This is akin to sitting in a very large room full of people, who start talking, whispering, and then slowly get louder and louder, until you cannot hear the person you are actually trying to talk with.

The FCC is no help at all. There was a so called program that "officially" was supposed to be involved to bring broadband internet to rural areas by transmitting data over ............get this..........power lines.

ANY decent RF engineer knows that idea is pure bullshit. What you are trying to do, there, is to use power lines for an RF feedline which was never designed for the purpose. Sort of like using a garden hose for your natural gas or LP furnace. It just doesn't work.

What "BPL" DID do was radiate all kinds of nasty noise. And the FCC just looked the other way, and no longer does the FCC have the staff, the money, nor the will to enforce much of anything.

So you add up, all the appliances with microprocessors, your washer, dryer, microwave, all the switching power supplies for your cell charger, your ethernet hub and modem, your plasma TV, your this and your that and pretty soon "radio" just doesn't work, anymore.

If you made it through this rant, THE SAME THING occurs in your car electrical system. Various "stuff" makes noise. Any switch, relay, regulator, ECU makes noise. And these caps help filter that out.
The idea of putting a digital signal over power lines did not work. As said too much RF interference. It just so happens I worked for AT&T in the u-verse dept. I am all too familiar with RF problem in the modern world. I agree that the "noise' will still be in the car, but what adverse effect will it have? Im asking a serious question.

OK, I'm not suggesting that something as simple as a cheap coil mounted cap would help in the following example, but "how bad it gets" is mentioned in some of MSDs own literature. MSD ignition produces so much power, and radiates so much "noise" that the EMI from the output can re-trigger through the pickup circuit.

They mention that, of course, as a caution pertaining to harness routing.

There was a thread on "one of the other forums" where a member had an MSD that was causing the VR to go nuts or vise versa.. As I recall he finally "fixed" it by changing to an integrated alternator / VR.

BPL, by the way is a particular sore spot for me, because the FCC took that as an opportunity to sidestep and backstep from Part15 issues. One official actually suggested that if hams wanted to hear anything, they should "move further away."

Yeh. That'll work. About the same time I win Powerball.

OK, I'm not suggesting that something as simple as a cheap coil mounted cap would help in the following example, but "how bad it gets" is mentioned in some of MSDs own literature. MSD ignition produces so much power, and radiates so much "noise" that the EMI from the output can re-trigger through the pickup circuit.

They mention that, of course, as a caution pertaining to harness routing.

There was a thread on "one of the other forums" where a member had an MSD that was causing the VR to go nuts or vise versa.. As I recall he finally "fixed" it by changing to an integrated alternator / VR.

BPL, by the way is a particular sore spot for me, because the FCC took that as an opportunity to sidestep and backstep from Part15 issues. One official actually suggested that if hams wanted to hear anything, they should "move further away."

Yeh. That'll work. About the same time I win Powerball.
Thank you

The future is fiber. 767 is all fiber, the 777 went back to copper as there were not enough fiber trained techs to keep up with the production (so a Boeing worker told me over lunch once) once that stuff gets in your car, everyone will be lost.

-
Back