'65 273 Formula S rocker arm assembly question

-

Bob Jasinski

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Putting together my solid lifter 273, all stock parts. I have the shafts mounted with the oil holes pointing down towards the exhaust ports in the head and each shaft hole lines up with each rocker. These are cast, not stamped rockers, and I can't find assembly info in the service manual. This seems to be correct, but would like confirmation before I tighten it all down.

Putting together my solid lifter 273, all stock parts. I have the shafts mounted with the oil holes pointing down towards the exhaust ports in the head and each shaft hole lines up with each rocker. These are cast, not stamped rockers, and I can't find assembly info in the service manual. This seems to be correct, but would like confirmation before I tighten it all down.
The notches face down. Down and to the back on the drivers side and down and to the front on passenger side. 15lbs on the shafts, anymore and you’ll distort them and I’ll be very hard to remove them if needed.

Just checked the notches, and they are as you describe. I'll go with 15 lbs on the shafts. Thanks Lurk Dog!

Hey Jake, u sure they go to the "right"? I thought " down and to the left "? My memory sucks.....no wonder they call it dope lol
The notches face down. Down and to the back on the drivers side and down and to the front on passenger side. 15lbs on the shafts, anymore and you’ll distort them and I’ll be very hard to remove them if needed.

Hey Jake, u sure they go to the "right"? I thought " down and to the left "? My memory sucks.....no wonder they call it dope lol
Steve, I only know how the notches go and never paid attention to where the holes were. Hope your doing well.

Just checked the notches, and they are as you describe. I'll go with 15 lbs on the shafts. Thanks Lurk Dog!
Hey, I must have been misinformed but the info I’m finding is notch down and to the front on drivers and notch down and to the rear on passenger side. Sorry for relaying bad information.

Dont sweat it, you had me thinking lol. Which I need to do a little more lol
Hey, I must have been misinformed but the info I’m finding is notch down and to the front on drivers and notch down and to the rear on passenger side. Sorry for relaying bad information.

Lurk Dog, OK, if that's the case, then the oil holes on the shaft would point to the center of the engine instead of towards the valve springs/exhaust ports. I would think they get oiled either way, but there's got to be a correct way to do it. Don't really feel like taking it all apart again to get pictures, someone must have a definitive answer. If the answer is as you now describe, I will reverse the shafts and turn all the rockers 180 degrees and refit on the shafts. The oil holes will then point to the center of the engine.

The notch points to the center of the engine, and toward the front on the driver's side (left side) and toward the rear on the passenger side.

The notch points to the center of the engine, and toward the front on the driver's side (left side) and toward the rear on the passenger side.

Thanks Cudamark. I confirmed a couple things. Both shafts are the same, no difference L - R. Mounted just the shafts, notch pointing to center of engine, (9 o'clock or close). Notch on front on L- Driver side, in rear on R-Pass side. This positions the holes higher in the lubrication arc than I would think. Is this correct? I'm thinking it had the oil focus on the lifter.

*edit* just reviewed the manual again and it states the notch points to the centerline of engine (pages 9-30, 9-31). Notch in front on left bank, in back on right bank. My photos show the correct installation, Cudamark is right, thanks very much for the help, glad I'm not doing this alone.

DSC_3938.JPG
DSC_3939.JPG
DSC_3940.JPG
DSC_3946.JPG
DSC_3948.JPG

Last edited:
Those pics are a good illustration in that if you use LA hyd cam rocker shafts with your 273 rockers, that the oil holes won’t be anywhere even close to the correct orientation.

For an easy comparison, this is the oil hole orientation for the LA hyd rockers:

E6AD6CBF-3644-491B-96EC-C19A5DEDAB50.jpeg

Yep, I ran into same issue recently and had to buy another set of shafts. "Notches" arent always notches, that's why I asked OP for pics. His are the same style shafts I had and realized there is/was an issue.
Those pics are a good illustration in that if you use LA hyd cam rocker shafts with your 273 rockers, that the oil holes won’t be anywhere even close to the correct orientation.

For an easy comparison, this is the oil hole orientation for the LA hyd rockers:

View attachment 1715785849

-
Back