Factory Rocker Shaft Oil Holes-Vary by Year?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
The rocker shaft (on top in fotos) I borrowed that had used springs for spacers instead of the more common rings has a different oil hole orientation when compared to the hold down bolts. The hole diameter is obviously much larger as well. A previous owner could have enlarged the holes (doubtful) but the different orientation was a factory change/update for sure. Never have seen this discussed on a forum before.

rocker shaft holes 1.JPG

rocker shaft holes 2.JPG

The rocker shaft (on top in fotos) I borrowed that had used springs for spacers instead of the more common rings has a different oil hole orientation when compared to the hold down bolts. The hole diameter is obviously much larger as well. A previous owner could have enlarged the holes (doubtful) but the different orientation was a factory change/update for sure. Never have seen this discussed on a forum before.

View attachment 1715558584

View attachment 1715558585
I’ve seen 2/3 different ones from 64 273 2 and 4 barrel adjustable rocker shafts to 73 360 factory hydraulic shafts. Their attempts to oil them better?

Jake

Top one is for the stamped hydraulic rocker arm setup. Bottom one looks like a side view of a mechanical rocker arm shaft with the adjuster oiling hole showing. Does the bottom shaft have another hole in a banana groove? Perhaps post more pictures of the bottom shaft with shaft in the same same orientation as the top shaft.

When I borrowed the top shaft from a local "Mr. Mopar" it was armed with adjustable 273 rockers and springs in place of spacers". I plan to rob one of the 273 adjustable rockers it had to replace one that had a worn tip on one of my '65 273's. The top shaft may have belonged to a stamped hydraulic setup at one time, I don't know where it came from originally.

The bottom shaft was armed with 273 adjustable rockers and spacers, purchased from a Forum Member. It does not have any banana groves and the mounting hole orientation can just barely be seen in the foto about 90 degrees down from the oil holes.

I have the original 273 Commando adjustable rockers from my Barracuda. They do not have the banana grooves cut into them and are identical to the shaft in the lower photo. What year did they implement the banana grooves in the adjustable rocker shafts? 65'

My original 67 273 has the banana grooves, I cannot say on the other engines. It does not seem to bother the 64-66 engines. Never had a problem with either.

I believe the grooves came into play with the high performance 273 & was just carried forward rather that the assembly techs guessing at which shaft to use. I've seen them with & without grooves on 273 that I bought years back when I was running 273s in my 2 Darts. A few of the engines I acquired were virgin engines & had never been in to. These days, you never know what's inside until you tear them down. I bought a 65 273 about 10 years ago & when I tore it down, it had stamped steel rockers on it with ball & ball push rods. I never tried to fire it up to see how well it ran, I just needed the head castings & intake. Unfortunately the block had a freeze crack in it & was not usable.

My 66's don't have banana grooves either. I think that was a 340 thing for sure.

273 was using adjustable rocker arms with grooves years before the first 340 was built.

The only 340 from the factory with adjustable rockers was the 340 six pac motor.
All other 340s had stamped steel rocker arms. Which do not need a groove for oiling.

273 was using adjustable rocker arms with grooves years before the first 340 was built.

The only 340 from the factory with adjustable rockers was the 340 six pac motor.
All other 340s had stamped steel rocker arms. Which do not need a groove for oiling.
wonder when they started? I had a 65 and 66 HP and neither had grooved shafts.

I know back in 81 when i was 15 my father bought my 65 Formula S Barracuda for me she was a virgin! He bought it from the original owner and the car was unmolested. I pulled the engine for a rebuild, those shafts didn't have the banana grooves. Hell, I still have the car and the rockers are in my shop in the parts cabinet along with the original heads, intake, valve covers and air cleaner. 65'

Huh. crickets. No answers from the experts.

I know, I have 3 extra sets. But I'm not sure what they come from. One has a pair of regular hydraulic shafts, one has a get of banana groove shafts, The other I'll look for you, but I'm still not going to check the shafts in the 66 and 67 for you ;-)

I know I have 3 extra sets. But I'm not sure what they come from. One has a pair of regular hydraulic shafts, one has a get of banana groove shafts, The other I'll look for you, but I'm still not going to check the shafts in the 66 and 67 for you ;-)
Look over your stash if you wish. I am curious but I don't need to know. The OP might though. I have a set or 2 myself but I don't know what they came off of so no comment. My original 65 didn't have them nor does my 66 and a 65 I scrapped.

Look over your stash if you wish. I have a set or 2 myself but I don't know what they came off of so no comment. My original 65 didn't have them nor does my 66 and a 65 I scrapped.

I don't even know which ones would be in the 66. By then I had all kinds of extra parts and it took at least 10 years to put it back together. Kids, divorce, work, money. But the 66 273 has been done for a long time also so it would be interesting to check for the grooves. The 67 has been together since the 70's with most of it's original parts, but that won't help. I've had one 66 and two 67 Commando engines, virgin untouched until I got my hands on them.

Just to be clear though......
All the factory 273 shafts, for use with the adjustable rockers, have the two sets of oil holes?
The set down near the bottom, and the set up near the adjusters?

And “some” also have the grooves on the lower holes?

None of the factory shafts for the adjustable rockers would only have the one set of lower holes like what would be used with the stamped hyd rockers?

All the factory 273 shafts, for use with the adjustable rockers, have the two sets of oil holes?

None of the factory shafts for the adjustable rockers would only have the one set of lower holes like what would be used with the stamped hyd rockers?
I need to get into my Mopar engine books and see what is said there.

If anyone has a single grooved shaft, I'd be interested in it. Since I moved about 5 years ago, one of my shafts disappeared. I've looked everywhere & done everything except turn my house & shop upside down. I had a post in the wanted section & no one had anything at that time.

Sounds right to me.

-
Back