Factory Rocker Shaft Oil Holes-Vary by Year?

-
I’ve pulled 10 or more adjustable sets over the years and I can tell you it was a crapshoot what kind or shafts were going to be there. I found more grooved shafts on 2 barrel 64-66 Barracudas/Darts than any other. And to be fair I think I had greater success rates with grooved shafts with 64-66 Belvedere/Satellites.

Jake

I did some checking around and located 3 sets of 273 rocker arm assemblies. 2 of the 3 rocker arm sets had a top hole in the rocker arm. 1 had none.
2 of the rocker arm shafts had only one hole pointed at the base of the carb. The other one had an additional 'bottom hole' with a banana groove.
One set of rockers had a larger hole behind the adjusting screw. This hole is drilled thru to the rocker shaft. The oil pulses from the cam journal fill up the hollow rocker shaft, then go thru the ['timed'] drilled rocker holes, then dribble onto the cup of the push rods. I unscrewed an adjuster and found that the bottom of the rocker arm is counter bored to allow oil to drip/flow out over the threads.

-
Back