65 4 speed shifter boot

-
I installed the proto Round Boot Ring this morning... Will test it over the next few weeks... Bang some gears... Etc.... See if I get any comments or suggestions at the local car hang outs...
(See how hard I Work)

Clif of Az⚓
20180318_081041.jpg
20180318_081353.jpg

Nice! Is that on top of a 65 floor hump?
Hard to tell if it has the raised ring stamping or is the 66 and newer style flat hump.

Nice! Is that on top of a 65 floor hump?
Hard to tell if it has the raised ring stamping or is the 66 and newer style flat hump.
Yes... Pictured in my 65 'cuda with Round raised Ring 4 Speed tunnel ... This will not fit 66 and newer Oval tunnels...
Picture below is how my 'cuda will look when I am done with this test... Of the T6061 round polished aluminum ring... Believe it or not... Some peeps do not even like the Factory Road Map 4 Speed Bezel and they Just want a Ring that won't bend when they tighten it down over carpet !!!

20180105_132257.jpg

Last edited:
In place of the rubber boot, why not have a leather boot made? Seems it would look nicer and couldn't cost more than $100.00.

Ho man! That looks nice! Please tell me you plan to sell these!
Hey Stretch... I'm looking at doing that... My test Ring is still in my 65 'cuda and I'm "Liking It"...
To have a .250 thick & 5.100+ Diameter Billet Aluminum Ring... You can not have carpet on top of the Boot Ring... Have to cut carpet so it goes up and touches the outer side of Boot Ring... Else shifter shaft may make contact.. (shifter high... Ring low)
Also you need to have a very good tranny mount (not sagging)... Mine is a Schumacher polyurethane Tranny Mount.. holding the shifter high and ridged.... Having a sagging old tranny mount has caused a lot of those factory "shift road map plates " to be destroyed or broken".. my thought on that at least...

So far my Testing of T6061 Billet Aluminum Ring has been Good... And I have slammed gears Hard!!!! ⚓

Is the boot available from someone or are you using something you found and supplying that too?

Stretch...
I'm just showing the old rubber Boot from my 65 4 Speed 'cuda to show what the Billet Aluminum Shifter Ring looks like surrounding the Boot used in 1964/65 A-body 4 Speed cars... I think Layson's makes a nice re---pop of the rubber shifter boot... So I hear tell !!! ? I'm just working on the "Ring" to give peeps options.. ⚓ . Sorry

Hey... Mycuda Dave... Got your Name on this one... 5.225 OD Diameter... Flat part of ring 1/4 thick... .300 where it turns down on very outer diameter onto carpet... On underside, 3 domed counter sinks to clear the 3 screws holding rubber boot to 4 Speed Tunnel as ring base bottom needs to be flush with top of boot base... All this was tested on my 65 'cuda two weeks with proto test mule Shifter Ring... And this is what I came up with... Billet Aluminum Ring ONLY !!!!

Oh.. priced as I said... $56.00 + The Ride...

20180405_090852.jpg
20180405_091304.jpg

Last edited:
Ok. Probably USPS priority padded envelope would do it to

Need your info.Will send MO. prob manana. (what sucks is I don't have a decent Boot to match the ring....lol)

Thanks, Dave

Hey... Mycuda Dave... Got your Name on this one... 5.225 OD Diameter... Flat part of ring 1/4 thick... .300 where it turns down on very outer diameter onto carpet... On underside, 3 domed counter sinks to clear the 3 screws holding rubber boot to 4 Speed Tunnel as ring base bottom needs to be flush with top of boot base... All this was tested on my 65 'cuda two weeks with proto test mule Shifter Ring... And this is what I came up with... Billet Aluminum Ring ONLY !!!!

Oh.. priced as I said... $56.00 + The Ride...

View attachment 1715161305 View attachment 1715161307
I COULD USE ONE ALSO SMITTY PM ME PLEASE

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the original shifter plate. It's attractive and unique to me. I plan on using the repo rubber boot and a high quality vinyl or leather cover over it. Many British sports cars did this, including the Triumph TR6.

I like the original shifter plate. It's attractive and unique to me. I plan on using the repo rubber boot and a high quality vinyl or leather cover over it. Many British sports cars did this, including the Triumph TR6.
Many moons ago I used to paint the old British mg's and triumphs.
Believe it or not there's something about those little cars that I did like....

-
Back