65-66 factory racing stripes

-

pbiggs

Reaction score
Does anybody know how the factory racing stripes option code is shown on the fender tag and build sheet for 1965 and 66 Barracudas?

Thanks, Pat

As far as I can tell being I have owned several of these and only one still has original paint with stripes is under paint at the bottom right of the fender tag that car has 2 paint codes for silver and black. It is a Commando car. I have read and cannot say this is fact because of it not being true info. is that it was also a dealer paint option and not many came off the line with the stripes.

Just out of curiosity, do you know what racing stripes do?

Supposedly: Real racing stripes run down the center front to back. When road racing they alert you quicker when you are starting to spin out. That is what I read, heard somewhere?

Thats a good one. They differentiated cars on the track, like numbers did. You get 3 of the same model cars together in a pack and the different color stripes would seperate them to a fan or official. I thought they were all a dealer option, not called out on the build sheet, like 65 disc brakes.. 6 inch center paint stripe on centerline, 3/4 space and another 3/4 flanking paint stripe for a '65 but there were subtle differences as they were dealer painted.

On the build sheet it would be under the 294 section. On the fender tag, it's under the N in paint on the lower RH side.

66fs, you are correct as well as knowing where the car's placement is when on the track. I am not amazed that few know this but the functionality is something one should take into consideration when building a back roads or road race vehicle of any kind.

As far as telling them apart, that's a fairy tale

66fs, you are correct as well as knowing where the car's placement is when on the track. I am not amazed that few know this but the functionality is something one should take into consideration when building a back roads or road race vehicle of any kind.

As far as telling them apart, that's a fairy tale

C'mon, you serious? The stripe helped orientate the car to the road? From whos perspective? If the Cunningham race team were the first to use stripes, they were down the middle, not offset to the driver side to "line up" the car. If in fact that were the case, as an aid to drivers, I would think they would be right down the center of the steering column. Just seems kinda weird to me, but then again, lots of thing seem weird to me. Maybe they should start putting the hood ornament in front of the driver, those Lincoln ones with the crosshairs. :-D

-
Back