65 Barracuda Casting Numbers

-

Crewdog89

Reaction score
Hey all!

so I’m trying to verify the engine really quick. I was able to find the block casting numbers 2806030-273-7. I was told it’s a 273 commando and the fender tag says it’s a 273 V8 I just wanted to know if it was the commando or not. Is there anything else I could search for to figure that out? Anyone have a decoder sheet/link I could use for future reference? Thanks!

The 273 Commando came in the Formula S Barracuda. You cannot determine it by casting numbers as they are all the same blocks. Pistons, cam, and 4 barrel manifold are different from the stock 273. 65'
20210806_113555.jpg

Mine has a 273 commando emblem on the side. I know it’s possible they came as an upgrade option I just wanted to see if there was anyway of identifying it through engine markers

375F0B84-12DE-4189-BABE-2F216AE3A06C.png

On a 65 Barracuda i purchased i had a 273 cammando and a formula S car by the badges but had to use a bore scope (Harbor Freight) to identify the pistons. Without taking a head off. The high performance 273 has two valve reliefs in the piston tops and the 2 barrel has four.
EDIT: I found the 273 was a 2 barrel engine. I have a HP 273 waiting for it.

Last edited:
The 65 Barracudas that were Commando V8 cars got the same engine as the Formulas S. Look at your fender tag if you have one and see what the numbers are under the AB line on the left side of the tag.
AB
30 = 273 2 bbl
AB
31 = 273 4 bbl Commando
AB
32 = 273 4 bbl Formula S

JD is correct.
My issue was everything said i have a formula S car but i didn't have a fender tag for it and all of the 4 barrel and duel point distributor in the trunk. I had to use the bore scope to make sure.

You know, 32 may be on the build sheet as a group but 2 under C or a 5 under C gets Formula S package per the decoding site.

Can you post a picture of your fender tag?
We can tell how is was optioned.

Of course! Mine shows 30 but the outside emblem says commando haha I’m just trying to make sense of this mess haha

268A6957-9FD1-411E-A2F0-D1E1A6D4236C.jpeg

Are you sure it’s supposed to say 32? I have looked at several different decoder websites that don’t list a “32” just a 30 and 31. I’m not arguing I just want to make sure I get the correct information. I put the two websites I found that help decode the fender tag

https://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-osterling65fendertag.html

http://www.earlycuda.org/techdocs/6265FenderTagDecode.pdf

You know....those sites and info are probably right. When I went to middle GA in August a few years ago to look at and buy my 65 Barracuda, I jumped on FABO to ask how to tell if it was a real Commando car because it had a lot of cobbling done to it. I may have remembered the number thing wrong, and the 2 really is under the C line. I knew mine wasn't a Formula S because it didn't have a factory tach, but it is a true Commando car. It was hotter'n the hinges of hell when I was trying to figure it out, so I may have misunderstood what people told me while I was wiping sweat....lol.

Of course! Mine shows 30 but the outside emblem says commando haha I’m just trying to make sense of this mess haha

View attachment 1715960366

Look at your rear valance panel to see if there's a cutout for the factory exhaust tip. It will be real obvious if it's there. I can go take a pic of mine for reference if you need it. All 4 bbl cars got the Commando exhaust, and the rear valance had a rectangle opening in it for the chrome tip to stick thru.

You know....those sites and info are probably right. When I went to middle GA in August a few years ago to look at and buy my 65 Barracuda, I jumped on FABO to ask how to tell if it was a real Commando car because it had a lot of cobbling done to it. I may have remembered the number thing wrong, and the 2 really is under the C line. I knew mine wasn't a Formula S because it didn't have a factory tach, but it is a true Commando car. It was hotter'n the hinges of hell when I was trying to figure it out, so I may have misunderstood what people told me while I was wiping sweat....lol.

haha yea the 2 under the C makes it a Formula S package and a 5 under the C means it has the performance package (not a formula s but has the fixings of it) at least that’s what those links say haha I’m just confused cuz my fender tag says one thing while my emblem (in the picture a few posts back) says otherwise

Look at your rear valance panel to see if there's a cutout for the factory exhaust tip. It will be real obvious if it's there. I can go take a pic of mine for reference if you need it. All 4 bbl cars got the Commando exhaust, and the rear valance had a rectangle opening in it for the chrome tip to stick thru.

mine does not have that cutout but to be fair not sure if it’s original to the car because the exhaust was done by 2 owners previous to me (not done very well haha) so my best bet might have to be to bore scope haha where do enter to get a look at the pistons?

After 57 years lots of things can happen.
Mine is a true Formula S car with the tach and cutout, and no tag or documentation. Bore scope a sparkplug hole and 4 valve reliefs equal a 2 barrel engine.

enter through the spark plug hole. If it is flat, its a 2bbl., the 4bbl had a slight incline and of course 2 eyebrows instead of 4
010700_1422-00-jpg.jpg

I didn't notice the dome as i remember but 4 reliefs were very visible. Your correct Pishta a flat top piston is a 2 barrel engine.

Thanks guys for the help! I have my borescope at work so I’ll grab it tomorrow so I can check it out

In '65, 30 under the AB means it's a 2bbl. 31 means it's a 4bbl. In '66 they went with 31 as a 2bbl, and 32 as a 4bbl. Your block casting number is not correct for a '65 model. It's a later one.....'68-9 IIRC. Check the stamping on the front of the block on the driver's side just below the head gasket seam. What is stamped there?

I didn't get to say yesterday, that Toolmanmike was a great help to me getting to know the HP 273.
Thanks Toolmanmike.
Just saying :)

Finally got to looking inside the spark plugs and saw the two eyebrows so it is a 4bbl 273. It’s a 67 year so not original to the vehicle

-
Back