65 Barracuda dash pad color/Egge engine parts

-

pbiggs

Reaction score
I removed the padded dash pad from my 65 Barracuda for restoration. After 45 years, I think the elements have changed the original blue color to a green appearance. Not much of the original covering color left even on the underside for a good color sample. Just Dashes called me confirming the restoration of my "green" Barracuda dash pad......Whoa!!. don't dare send back a green pad. It's blue. They don't have factory samples to go by...so they said.

I have posted a picture of the interior of my car and it is obviously blue. Does anyone know if the pad originally matched the light blue dash and door color or was it darker?

Also, the engine in this car is the 273 4 bbl. The cam and lifters are wiped and must be replaced. I have not been able to find a replacement cam matching the original specs of lift and duration. Are they not available?
The car will never be raced and I value originality, so don't want nor need anything beyond what the factory had.

I see EGGE engine parts have a rebuild kit for this engine. Anyone familar with EGGE products?

1965 silver F:s int.jpg

I have ordered parts from Egge before. No issues, and they have one of the best selections of obsolete pistons outthere.

Egge Machine is a longtime reliable vendor. Camshaft replacement won't be difficult —*get one reground to your specs. Dash pad would originally have matched the rest of the interior.

My '66 Valiant has the same color on the dash and doors as your Barracuda. The dash pad is dark blue and I don't recall ever seeing a light blue dash pad on anything.
Egge Machine has been around since Christ was a corporal and all their products are top shelf. They manufacture most of the parts they sell and stand behind everything 100 percent. I have never had a problem with anything I have ever bought from them. The best way to deal with them is on the phone, so give them a call. Bet they can even fix your cam and lifters.

Got more pics? It is nice to see another Commando 4 speed car. Is yours a Formula S because I see the tach?

I eventually settled on going hydraulic from Summit, but I was close to sending my solid to these guys. Their price was reasonable, could turn it around soon, and offerred three or four different solid grinds. Guy sounded helpful and interested on the phone, but I can't vouch for their quality.
http://www.oregoncamshaft.com/

My '66 Valiant has the same color on the dash and doors as your Barracuda. The dash pad is dark blue and I don't recall ever seeing a light blue dash pad on anything.
Egge Machine has been around since Christ was a corporal and all their products are top shelf. They manufacture most of the parts they sell and stand behind everything 100 percent. I have never had a problem with anything I have ever bought from them. The best way to deal with them is on the phone, so give them a call. Bet they can even fix your cam and lifters.

Hi...thanks for your reply. Can you post a picture of the interior of your Valiant?
Thanks, Pat

Got more pics? It is nice to see another Commando 4 speed car. Is yours a Formula S because I see the tach?
It is a Formula S with 4 speed and factory A/C in NN1 Barracuda silver.Here are a couple more pictures in the before restoration phase. The car is now completely apart with the body in primer.
The car spent its entire life out west, so the body was pretty much rust free. However, it is evident the past owners were "rough" stewards of this fairly rare early Barracuda. Anyway, I plan to return the car to its original condition.
Thanks, Pat

65 S silver ext 12.jpg

65 S silver ext 3.jpg

The only interior color available for your car was black, blue, and red. Gold was not an option. Turquoise was never available to any barracuda that year in the interior. Turquoise was available in Valiants 100/200/Signet. You can find all your paint, interior and stripe configuations here right from the book; http://www.hamtramck-historical.com...ershipsPlymouthOrderingInfo.shtml?load_img=42

It will also let you decode your fender tag. Hope this helps

The only color available for your car was black, blue, and red. Gold was not an option. Turquoise was never available to any barracuda that year.

But the order sheet you linked (http://www.hamtramck-historical.com...ershipsPlymouthOrderingInfo.shtml?load_img=42) seems to suggest that gold was an available interior option, and turquoise and gold (and other colours aside from black, red, and blue) were exterior colour options. Am I misunderstanding you, or misreading the order sheet?

Nice car! Can't wait to see your progress.

I had a friend who had a white Barracuda with the blue interior. As I recall from the first time I saw the car in 1973 the dash pad was blue, but a bit darker than the rest of the vinyl and also just a bit darker than the paint on the dash. I'm not sure if it was made that way or if it turned darker as the years passed. The last time I saw the car in the late 90s the dash pad had turned almost black on top and had the green cast like yours on the bottom. It had also cracked in the recessed grooves. He traded the car for a Lil Red Express in the late 90s.

If you want a solid cam that is very close to the original look at the Isky E-4. Not the exact specs of the original but very close. The 273 runs and sounds exactly like a factory Commando 4V with that cam.

But the order sheet you linked (http://www.hamtramck-historical.com...ershipsPlymouthOrderingInfo.shtml?load_img=42) seems to suggest that gold was an available interior option, and turquoise and gold (and other colours aside from black, red, and blue) were exterior colour options. Am I misunderstanding you, or misreading the order sheet?

I think your not looking in the right spot. He stated that his car was a Silver, the only Silver for Barracuda in 1965 was the Barracuda Silver paint Code NN1 the only vinyl interiors were Black P4X, Blue P4B, and Red P4R. Now thats the chart on the Left. Notice there are no Turquoise at all for interior, the car could have been painted Turquoise but that is not the case this fella says, unless I read it wrong that the car was a Silver NN1 paint code.

Even if the car was a JJ1 or a KK1 the only interior was black P4x. I know alot of designers smoked alot of dope in the 60's but a Turquiose car with Blue, Red, or gold interior would look pretty bad in my opinion.

When you read the chart to the right that gets into what the color of the racing stripe will be when you factor in both the paint code and the interior code.

If you like you can send me your info and i will decode what I can. Or just give a call always glad to help out.

I think your not looking in the right spot. He stated that his car was a Silver, the only Silver for Barracuda in 1965 was the Barracuda Silver paint Code NN1 the only vinyl interiors were Black P4X, Blue P4B, and Red P4R.

Ah, gotchya. I was misunderstanding you, thought you were saying it was not possible to get a gold interior at all on a Barracuda.

Nyever miyeend! :)

Ah, gotchya. I was misunderstanding you, thought you were saying it was not possible to get a gold interior at all on a Barracuda.

Nyever miyeend! :)

Sorry might not have posted that right. God I hope you could get Gold, otherwise my 64 is somehting other than gold.

Egge Machine is a longtime reliable vendor. Camshaft replacement won't be difficult —*get one reground to your specs. Dash pad would originally have matched the rest of the interior.
Thank you for the recommendation. We aim to help.

Thank you for the recommendation. EN Egge served under christ when the company was formed in 1915! Egge is the last cast piston manufacturer in the United States for these nostalgic applications. When in Southern California we invite you and your buddies for a tour of our foundry and machine shop behind our showroom. Contact me anytime. [email protected]

Tony, welcome aboard and for the invite and post.

I think you'll find Egge mentioned several times here on the site for the old engines as well as custom applications. I seen a TV show with the companys workings and oferings. One of the things I really really liked was that it was said if you need a custom piston, just tell us what your doing and we'll make it.

Again, thanks for droping in. Stick around some!

I didn't know you did cams though.

Anything else you do?

I ordered a solid lifter cam with lifters from Camcraft for just under $200.00. He'll grind to original specs or anthing you want. All new billets.

Egge (pronounced; egg-eee) manufacture valves and babbitt bearings for the really old jobs. Egge also remanufactures water, fuel an oil pumps. In about a month we will be offering the complete line of Rare Parts suspension parts for nostalgic vehicles. Lots going on here at Egge Machine and Speed Shop. Let us know how we can help with any of your projects. 800-866-3443, www.egge.com

Egge (pronounced; egg-eee) manufacture valves and babbitt bearings for the really old jobs. Egge also remanufactures water, fuel an oil pumps. In about a month we will be offering the complete line of Rare Parts suspension parts for nostalgic vehicles. Lots going on here at Egge Machine and Speed Shop. Let us know how we can help with any of your projects. 800-866-3443, www.egge.com

I am planning on upgrading my 273 2bbl to Commando specs (or a little hotter) and read earlier that you folks manufacture those domed pistons. I will be contacting you. Thanks for joining FABO and WELCOME!

I removed the padded dash pad from my 65 Barracuda for restoration. After 45 years, I think the elements have changed the original blue color to a green appearance. Not much of the original covering color left even on the underside for a good color sample. Just Dashes called me confirming the restoration of my "green" Barracuda dash pad......Whoa!!. don't dare send back a green pad. It's blue. They don't have factory samples to go by...so they said.

I have posted a picture of the interior of my car and it is obviously blue. Does anyone know if the pad originally matched the light blue dash and door color or was it darker?

Also, the engine in this car is the 273 4 bbl. The cam and lifters are wiped and must be replaced. I have not been able to find a replacement cam matching the original specs of lift and duration. Are they not available?
The car will never be raced and I value originality, so don't want nor need anything beyond what the factory had.

I see EGGE engine parts have a rebuild kit for this engine. Anyone familar with EGGE products?

what makes you think your cam and lifters are wiped?? they may have never been adjusted in the last 40 years and just might need to be adjusted,,they are solid lifter with factory adjustable rocker arms,,,unless that motor was run with nmo oil pressure i cant see why they would be wiped,,, EGGGE OR RACER BROWN for A carbon copy orignal spec cam

what makes you think your cam and lifters are wiped?? they may have never been adjusted in the last 40 years and just might need to be adjusted,,they are solid lifter with factory adjustable rocker arms,,,unless that motor was run with nmo oil pressure i cant see why they would be wiped,,, EGGGE OR RACER BROWN for A carbon copy orignal spec cam

Perhaps my description of "wiped" is incorrect. The cam lobes and lifters are pitted beyond what I would consider useable as is. I may, after talking with Egge, have the cam and lifters reground to specs.
Help me understand the definition of a "wiped" cam.
Thanks, Pat

Perhaps my description of "wiped" is incorrect. The cam lobes and lifters are pitted beyond what I would consider useable as is. I may, after talking with Egge, have the cam and lifters reground to specs.
Help me understand the definition of a "wiped" cam.
Thanks, Pat

wiped would be round lobes,,,worn out from no oil,friction,or bad material the cam was made with,,,,pitted i can understand,, motor may of sat a long time with out running,,,,
to do a regrind on your cam is ok they do it every day,,,but will reguire special length push rods,,,or adjustable push rods,,ide get a new one makes things much easier,,,crower, racer brown, hughes,,,etc

wiped would be round lobes,,,worn out from no oil,friction,or bad material the cam was made with,,,,pitted i can understand,, motor may of sat a long time with out running,,,,
to do a regrind on your cam is ok they do it every day,,,but will reguire special length push rods,,,or adjustable push rods,,ide get a new one makes things much easier,,,crower, racer brown, hughes,,,etc

Thanks for your information. I keep reading about Racer Brown cams, but can't seem to find how or where to buy them. Probably go with Egge.
Pat

Thank you for the recommendation. EN Egge served under christ when the company was formed in 1915! Egge is the last cast piston manufacturer in the United States for these nostalgic applications. When in Southern California we invite you and your buddies for a tour of our foundry and machine shop behind our showroom. Contact me anytime. [email protected]

Welcome aboard Tony. I ordered a set of HP 273 pistons and rings from Sam a few weeks ago. Nice guy
and very helpful. My machinist was impressed at the quality and consistency of size. I gave him an extra catalog you sent and I'm sure he will be ordering from you as well. Thanks, Mike Weidner (toolmanmike)

010700_1802[00].jpg

011200_1914[00].jpg

-
Back