65 Barracuda engine swap

-
You can fit a later alum intake on your 65 heads. I have one on my 65 273 now. I had to "V" the bolt holes w/ a counter-sink bit and use flat-head bolts, but it works and doesn't leak.

You can still find the Edelbrock aluminum 4 bbl intakes for the 64-65 273 heads. I bought one for ~$100 the last year on ebay, just because I saw it and figured that was cheap. It is good that people are rushing to the 318 & 360 engines. That frees up these 273 parts for us bottom-feeders. Same way I got 2 sets of SBP wheels. I love when everyone changes to BBP. I just wish more would decide their K-H disk brakes should be junked.

My eventual plan is to put a Magnum intake on my engine (for cheap EFI), and yes I know the bolt angles are different, but am an engineer so don't fear minor things like that.

I don't have one for sale myself, but may I bring your attention to this one that I found on ebay....

I would, however, recommend washing the end before putting it in your mouth....

View attachment 1714804103

This combined, with today's boy bands, would make for a life altering appreciation of music.....

You can fit a later alum intake on your 65 heads. I have one on my 65 273 now. I had to "V" the bolt holes w/ a counter-sink bit and use flat-head bolts, but it works and doesn't leak.

You can still find the Edelbrock aluminum 4 bbl intakes for the 64-65 273 heads. I bought one for ~$100 the last year on ebay, just because I saw it and figured that was cheap. It is good that people are rushing to the 318 & 360 engines. That frees up these 273 parts for us bottom-feeders. Same way I got 2 sets of SBP wheels. I love when everyone changes to BBP. I just wish more would decide their K-H disk brakes should be junked.

My eventual plan is to put a Magnum intake on my engine (for cheap EFI), and yes I know the bolt angles are different, but am an engineer so don't fear minor things like that.

me , being a bottom feeder too! love it when the masses are chasing the cars/parts that I am not chasing!!

if people would study the characteristics / design of say the 273, and build what it is designed for, they will find it to be a great small engine. trouble with many builds is when people don't have good info when the go to build a motor.

Funny crowd praises the "fast rapping 273" and punks the 318. Imagine a 318 as a bored 273 with 20% more cubes. Same stroke, crank, rods, heads, everything but pistons and rings. Even the piston weight is the same as the 273 used a heavy pin while the larger 318 piston and 273-4 taller piston used a lighter pin. And a 67 2bbl 318 made as much power as the 273-4 with more torque, and that was with a 2bbl. But build it as you like, a 360/408 bolts in too.

Funny crowd praises the "fast rapping 273" and punks the 318. Imagine a 318 as a bored 273 with 20% more cubes. Same stroke, crank, rods, heads, everything but pistons and rings. Even the piston weight is the same as the 273 used a heavy pin while the larger 318 piston and 273-4 taller piston used a lighter pin. And a 67 2bbl 318 made as much power as the 273-4 with more torque, and that was with a 2bbl. But build it as you like, a 360/408 bolts in too.

Ive been saying this for YEARS!!

An excellent point, Pishta...

TURBO(s)
Think about it. Easy 350 easy hp.Requires low compression;check. No big tranny change;check. Only a diff change (for longevity);check. Still get great fuel mileage;check. No or almost no down time;check. No big cam,big carb,big manifiold;check. No hi-stall or 3.91s;check. comfortable,quiet cruising;check.KILLER torque;check, and double check.Minor support mods,and tire frying times.
Ok, thats what I would do.lol
I have a 65 Cuda, 273 2bb; I want to do what you suggest, so, how much should I budget for parts? Thanks, best, JACOBI

My 2 cents: if you love the car for what it is, then build it. If you only bought the car because you think the car is worth mad money when done after watching an episode of Barrett Jackson- sell it and buy what fuels your need for passion.
No offence but your post title under your avatar says, "man with a master plan." Yet you are asking US what to do with your car.
You are receiving a ton of good input and have told us very little. These cars are not easy to build and cost a lot of money and maybe your bank account is HUGE! and that's cool- I'm not judging.
But I did not like the Ford or Chevy transplant idea and these people on here are really good people with one love- their MoPars. They will bend over backwards to help.
Please come to the table with more information about what you want to do with the car. That helps a lot.
Good luck,
Joe

-
Back