'65 Barracuda, what order now ?

-

one mile

Reaction score
Stupid question on my daughters '65 Barracuda but I have never done a Mopar before. Got the motor (273) back in but do I do Headers (Doug's) first or Trans. first ? Its a 904. any help is welcome. Thanks, Tim

Do the headers not go in WITH the motor?? I would also have put the motor and trans together first, then installed the entire assembly with the headers laying in the engine bay, ready to fight with!!!

My experience with these projects is : Install engine and trans : set them on their mounts , secure trans mission on it's mount but do not secure engine , place floor jack under oil pan and lift engine . Place a 2x4 about 1 1/2" long between engine mount and K-member . Lower engine onto blocks . You are going to need a right angle oil filter adapter . Install right side header from top , leave it loose . You may or may not be able to install left header from top . Once left header is installed loose , you can remove the wood blocks and secure engine and tighten headers . If your car came with a /6 the centerlink needs to be changed to a v-8 for pan clearance . good luck and let the fun begin

As stated put engine/trans in get them secure. Question..........does this car have power steering? Let us know, we will go from there.

What about from bottom up? Take K-member off, mount motor ... lift front end up and down onto?

I know e-bodies this is much easier?

Read the instructions for the dougs first. Also google dougs header install for a decent read on an install on a valiant I think some good info there too. Most likely you will set the motor/trans in and leave up about 4 inches to install the dougs. I just did my 65 Dart they went in super smooth. Make sure you put some high heat silicone on the outer 4 header bolts or you'll be leaking antifreeze. I used Ultra copper on header slip joints also.

Read the instructions for the dougs first. Also google dougs header install for a decent read on an install on a valiant I think some good info there too. Most likely you will set the motor/trans in and leave up about 4 inches to install the dougs. I just did my 65 Dart they went in super smooth. Make sure you put some high heat silicone on the outer 4 header bolts or you'll be leaking antifreeze. I used Ultra copper on header slip joints also.
Thanks for the big response from everyone ! To qualify my actions of putting motor in by itself, I am in a small 2 car garage, I am working by myself when my daughter is at school, old hoist, etc, etc, etc. So let's start from here... The motor is sitting on mounts, the transmission has just gotten back from rebuild, bought headers AFTER I set motor in, yes I have a new Firm Feel stage 3 power steering box, car is a original v8 car so crossmember is v8 friendly, Lol ! Lost instructions but did not think to go to youtube till it was recommended. I have put quite a few sets of headers on other cars but none in a 65 Barracuda. We all know there are "tricks " to be learned for people who have " been there,done that ". The antifreeze leaks are a prime example, along with the Ultra copper suggestions. Thanks everyone and I will keep looking @ your suggestions, Tim oh yeah, I have the correct oil filter setup

I think installing the headers in, wiring them back against the inners and dropping the motor in between them would be the easiest but I never did Dougs. Hookers "screwed" into the gaping holes you had to cut in the inner fenders....:-(
Best way would be to install headers onto motor and trans on K member and lower body onto that but some of us dont have that option.

Thanks for the big response from everyone ! To qualify my actions of putting motor in by itself, I am in a small 2 car garage, I am working by myself when my daughter is at school, old hoist, etc, etc, etc. So let's start from here... The motor is sitting on mounts, the transmission has just gotten back from rebuild, bought headers AFTER I set motor in, yes I have a new Firm Feel stage 3 power steering box, car is a original v8 car so crossmember is v8 friendly, Lol ! Lost instructions but did not think to go to youtube till it was recommended. I have put quite a few sets of headers on other cars but none in a 65 Barracuda. We all know there are "tricks " to be learned for people who have " been there,done that ". The antifreeze leaks are a prime example, along with the Ultra copper suggestions. Thanks everyone and I will keep looking @ your suggestions, Tim oh yeah, I have the correct oil filter setup

I'm pretty sure Doug's do not fit cars with power steering, sorry to be a downer.

Doug's fit power steering cars no problem, I think column shift is an issue though. They aren't that big of a deal to install with the engine in, a bit of patience and some flex sockets goes a long way!

I think installing the headers in, wiring them back against the inners and dropping the motor in between them would be the easiest but I never did Dougs. Hookers "screwed" into the gaping holes you had to cut in the inner fenders....:-(
Best way would be to install headers onto motor and trans on K member and lower body onto that but some of us dont have that option.

I second Pishta and his advice to build the whole thing on the k frame separate from the car and lower the car onto the whole thing. Then slide the steering column back in.
It sounds harder and more time consuming but way better than drop in "thru the hole method". Use the engine crane to lift the car up off the k-member and block it up off the ground. easier to work on and use jack stands under the body when in the air.... safety first!
Good luck and keep us posted.
Joe

I second Pishta and his advice to build the whole thing on the k frame separate from the car and lower the car onto the whole thing. Then slide the steering column back in.
It sounds harder and more time consuming but way better than drop in "thru the hole method". Use the engine crane to lift the car up off the k-member and block it up off the ground. easier to work on and use jack stands under the body when in the air.... safety first!
Good luck and keep us posted.
Joe
Haven't gotten back out in the garage yet but will try this week . Thanks, Tim

-
Back