65 B'cuda grill center

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
So my son's project I am learning about being new to the early A's... The car was originally red. Looks as though the center section of the grill was red as well.... Is the center supposed to be the body color? or were they polished, or blacked out?

Thanks!

btw.. He is talking about doing the car black with a slightly darker than plumb crazy Formula S type stripe..... He's determined to test my average body working skills....dang brat....lol

The center grille should be body color. I can appreciate that he wants to personalize the car, but for re-sale purposes I think stock colors have more appeal to buyers...assuming he will eventually sell the car.

I've always had this take when it comes to staying 100% original vs making it your own. If it was an original S car, it would be a no-brainer - original all the way. Not being a rarely optioned car, or factory performance package, as none of my own have ever been, I say build it the way you want it and drive the wheels off the thing. My 69 Fury retains it's original 318 block, but has been stuffed and topped with 340 6-pack goodies from an ARR (had picked the whole top end up for $90 about 20 years ago) and looks like a factory install. My 69 'net is slowly - 15 yrs now - transforming into my Wanna-Bee and will be a non-original color scheme, with a "few" mods along the way..... On the other hand, my 89 Shelby Dakota I've had since day one - truck number 321 of ~1500 built one year only - is getting ready to be repainted and striped as original and has had no performance mods. And then there's the wife's Durango....When she is done with it in another 10 years, I'd like to build a 440 for it just because I can...but that'll never happen.....lol

So there you have it, a little peak into my mind-set on the hobby and what should be done.....

Thanks to all for the input!

I agree with you on the originality thing, my 65 cuda formula s came to me with a 273 4bbl. After some research it was determined it was not the original motor, so instead of spending money on rebuilding that motor I did up a nice little 318 utilizing the valve covers and air cleaner from 273. Also painted red to look like 273 most people look at it now and cannot tell. It runs better and is quicker then 273 and leaves more options down the road for performance upgrades. I had a 66 I used to bracket race, it ran very consistant low 14's with mild head work electronic ignition, ect. My current motor is similar just lacks the head work and ran a mid 15 at track last summer. I am sure with some 340 parts or heads could run 13's, just takes money..... Mine is just a driver for now but someday may go back to bracket racing if able I used to be good at it and enjoyed the fun!

I found it interesting hearing that the majority of '65 cars were V8 cars... Not slants. So it helps do disuade me from replacing the six with an 8cyl. My grille is also body color adn it's been repainted once but not really well. You can see the original color in other spots on it.

-
Back