65 Cuda Carb and Headers...Need advice

-

Carpe Diem

Reaction score
I have a 65 Barracuda with a 273, it currently has a 2 bbl carb. I bought a 65 edlebrock intake and want to put an edlebrock carb on, however what size CFM should I use for this soon to be daily driver. 600 or 500 CFM, I have an RV cam and hi po heads. Also I want to put a set of Hooker headers 5901, they show on their web site that this will fit a 65 Plymouth 273. Any feed back or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

A 600 vac secondary holley will work fine. A vac secondary carb will only give the engine what it needs and no more. 500 - 600 CFM will work fine on a 273.

Double check the header application for the 5901 headers. I don't think they are listed for 64-66 Barracudas. I'm with Krazy on the carb.

On Hooker it states will fit 1965 Plymouth 273, but I don't want to order the wrong headers. Thank you guys for the Carb advice

When you say that you have a set of "hi po" heads...........what do you mean by that?
Other than springs, there is no difference between a set of heads from a 2bbl engine and a factory 4bbl Hi-po on a 1965 273, therefore no net gain in a head swap. A 500cfm carb would be plenty.

Good luck!

On Hooker it states will fit 1965 Plymouth 273, but I don't want to order the wrong headers. Thank you guys for the Carb advice

I used to run the Hooker Super Comp headers on my 68 Barracuda daily driver when I was younger. The one pipe on the driver's side hung below the k-frame and eventually got 70% crushed from going over speed bumps, high curbs, and pot holes over time. I ended up going back to stock exhaust manifolds.

Look at the headers that you are thinking about and see if they will hang below the k-frame or not. I would recommend getting a set that doesn't hang under the k-frame for durability and longevity. The ones that I used were the Hooker 5116 super comps, good for the track, but not practical for the street....

Run the Dougs headers. They are much nicer.

Running Doug's on my 64. Make sure you go mini starter and right angle filter adapter for ease of use. Didn't have to remove my torsion bar either.

I need to see a nice set of headers on a 1st gen barracuda from diff angles ,with no cutting of the engine bay or frame work needed , does any body have some pics for us.

I need a set right here , come get you some of that

Attachments

• 100_1391.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 100_1359.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 95
  • 100_1360.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 100_1370.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 84
-
Back