65 dart brake conversion?

-

son7771

Reaction score
I am doing a brake and rear end conversion front is from a 74 dart 41/2 bolt pattern. I have the complete front end with proportioning valve. I have a few questions. Will the lower control arms work on my 65? The reason i ask is that the newwer a body came with a sway bar and i could fab up some hangers on my K member to hold them. They look the same but i thought i would ask. Also the 74 did not have the master cylinder or the booster. I am going to order a new booster and master but i dont know if the will bolt in where my 65 booster and master go? Thanks for any info on the front

The rear is out of a 73 dart its a 81/4 sure grip. Do i have to shorten the drive shaft? Do i need different rear end u joints. Thanks

I did this on a 63 Valiant and everything fits. You may want to go with Moog problem solver upper control arm bushings as the stock replacement bushings may not give you enough adjustment (negitive). I ended up with +3/4 camber but the car handles and tires are wearing fine. I used the brakebooster/master setup from JEGS #555-631060.
The only negitive is a little more pedal travel than I like but the car stops excellent.
Yes you may have to shorten the drive shaft,take a measurement from tranny outputshaft to rear yoke centerline of your 7 1/4 before you remove it as a reference.Do this with the car on jackstands under the rear axle having the suspension loaded and not hanging.
U-joint should be the same (small 7260).

Why not use the new generation M/C? Yes it is a two bolt configuration but works really well. Use the 1 1/8" bore from a 1988-90 4 wheel drive Dodge truck. You can usually buy one for about $25.00. I don't think you need a brake booster...Just my opinion!

This will be my wifes car as i have 72 charger se. So i need it to brale well or i would have just left the drums on it for myself. Thanks for the info so far!!

I would keep the stock lower control arms and get an aftermarket sway bar or if you have the extra cash laying around, get the 65-72 lower control arms with the sway bar tabs and get a '65-6 factory sway bar. Making the '73-6 lower arms and sway bar looks to be too much of a PITA to me but maybe it's not as bad as it looks? Who's done one? The track is different on the later cars so can you get the angles right? I'm another one who likes the manual disc setup. I like the pedal feel better than the power brakes. Yes, you'll have to shorten your driveshaft on a 7 1/4 to 8 1/4 conversion. You'll need the 8 1/4 u-bolts and shock plates too.

The 74 sway bar was designed to run through the K frame. The 65, it runs in front. The length of the 74 LCA is the same as the 65 LCA...but the car is narrower, therefore, the sway bar will be too wide.

There are aftermarket front sway bars the work very well with you stockers. The disk brakes off the 74 are fine with the 74's UCAs. I run manual disks on all the A's I've done, just a preference.

-
Back