-
Status
Not open for further replies.

My*65*Dart

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
So I bought this really nice door that was in great shape for my '65 Dart. When I went to put it on today I found out that the door latch is different!!! And the one from my original door won't fit the new door!!!I'm going to try and add some photos, if I can the first photo(white Door is the new door latch) the blue one is the old latch. My question is what year door do I have and can I change the jamb side of the latch to match my new door? Does any one know what years they changed the latches? Did Valiants & Darts use the same latches? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN1422.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCN1423.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 176
This is Lee, who sold you the rear valance. The white door is pre 64. You should be
able to make a template of the opening on the original door. Modify the opening on the white door to accomadate the original latch as long as the mounting holes are in
the same positon.

Ok,I found out today that my new door is off a '64 Valiant. Can't put my latch off the '65 door on the '64 door 'cause it has different bolt pattern and shape. I think my easiest fix would be to find a '64 latch for the rear quarter side of the door jamb. Hopefully it will bolt up. would a '64 Dart latch be the same also? or do I have to look for a '64 Valiant latch only? If anybody has one I'll buy it!! Thanks.

The door you bought is off a '63 model and won't fit anything newer without cutting and/or welding. The jam and striker area is different too so you can't just swap the striker.

The guy I bought the door from said it was off a '64 Valiant so I guess he dosen't Know WTF he had!!! I just looked at the post Lee Robison had for a '64 rear quater he was selling and it had the same latch has my '65. I guess I'll have to cut the latch section out of my '65 door and graft it on to my '63? door. Oh well, the door looks good on there except it can't latch!!! Don't ya hate these learning curves!!!!!!:banghead:

I did what ya said Lee. I cut the latch section out of my '65 door and used it has a template on the '63 door, Just had to trim about a 1/2" off one side and drill one new bolt hole. Ground down the back side of the wrong location recessed hole. Then when I bolted the '65 latch into the '63 door I used a impact screw driver on the new bolt hole and it sucked it in making a new recessed hole. I'm glad I didn't have to graft in the latch area from my '65 door. Overall it was a easier fix than I thought.

Attachments

• Dart trim 001.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 145
Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back