65 Dart GT Dash Panel Trade

• Thread starter Deleted member 38666
  • Start date
-
D

Deleted member 38666

Hello members, I have a really nice 65/66 red in color dash pad that came out of a 66 Dodge Dart GT. I am building a 65 Dodge Dart GT, and I am changing the interior color to black. What are the odds that someone needs a nice red dash pad and has a nice black pad to trade straight up. I just do not want to go through the paint process on vinyl and have it fail after the project is complete. Thanks. PM me at Old Dart 66.

Hello members, I have a really nice 65/66 red in color dash pad that came out of a 66 Dodge Dart GT. I am building a 65 Dodge Dart GT, and I am changing the interior color to black. What are the odds that someone needs a nice red dash pad and has a nice black pad to trade straight up. I just do not want to go through the paint process on vinyl and have it fail after the project is complete. Thanks. PM me at Old Dart 66.
I have a 73 Chevy truck that I replaced the dash pad in 1989. The new one was blue and the interior color is saddle.
I prepped the pad with SEM products according to directions and painted it with SEM vinyl color. 29 years later
it has not peeled or delaminated. My point is, that a lot of people on this site seem to think that changing a color
or refinishing vinyl will not last. That is simply not the case.

When I was in high school I worked for a guy for a couple of months to fill in for a guy, we did vinyl repair for a restaurant and repaired rips, cuts, fork stabs, in a couple hundred orange chairs. If done correctly it is permanent. Prep, heat with heat gun, glue, press a reverse vinyl pattern on it to make it look right, prep for paint, paint it and it looks like new.

Hi Lee, I have heard that SEM products are just plain/nearly bullet proof. I guess my concern was the dash pad being exposed to direct sunlight, and, when i go back to the mid 80s where/when I had so much trouble with painting auto vinyl and flaking. But, much better products today Appreciate the input. Thanks. Old Dart 66

When I was in high school I worked for a guy for a couple of months to fill in for a guy, we did vinyl repair for a restaurant and repaired rips, cuts, fork stabs, in a couple hundred orange chairs. If done correctly it is permanent. Prep, heat with heat gun, glue, press a reverse vinyl pattern on it to make it look right, prep for paint, paint it and it looks like new.

Hey 6pac, Guess I'm behind the times on up to date vinyl products. Lee agrees with you on painting the red one I have. I will go that route with the red one I have. Thanks to you and to Lee for the advise. Appreciate it. Old Dart 66.

Hey 6pac, Guess I'm behind the times on up to date vinyl products. Lee agrees with you on painting the red one I have. I will go that route with the red one I have. Thanks to you and to Lee for the advise. Appreciate it. Old Dart 66.
It all depends of you have armorall'd it or used a similar product on it. that nearly triples the probability of peeling if you can not remove the contaminants. clean,clean and then clean it 5 more times before you prep it for spray. I make sure my vinyl is cleaned thoroughly and then get it ready for prep. right befor I hit it with adhesion promoter I take a damp (not wet)lacquer thinner rag and lightly wipe the part down. Doing this softens and opens the pores in the vinyl and allows the adhesion promoter to bite in much better. I have a 66 pad (it's a yucky school bathroom light Green color over an original black Plymouth pad) that has been in the Florida sun on my friends dart for over 6 years with no peeling or fading.

It all depends of you have armorall'd it or used a similar product on it. that nearly triples the probability of peeling if you can not remove the contaminants. clean,clean and then clean it 5 more times before you prep it for spray. I make sure my vinyl is cleaned thoroughly and then get it ready for prep. right befor I hit it with adhesion promoter I take a damp (not wet)lacquer thinner rag and lightly wipe the part down. Doing this softens and opens the pores in the vinyl and allows the adhesion promoter to bite in much better. I have a 66 pad (it's a yucky school bathroom light Green color over an original black Plymouth pad) that has been in the Florida sun on my friends dart for over 6 years with no peeling or fading.
Thanks. It appears that the general response is the new v vinyl paint products hold up, but as you commented, prep, prep, and more prep. I do not know on the armor all, as the pad came in a parts car. But, for sure, I will be certain to prep and clean prior to paint. Thanks. Old Dart 66

One of the biggest things is prep, prep, and prep again.. And I mean with warm water, soap, again, again, again.

One of the biggest things is prep, prep, and prep again.. And I mean with warm water, soap, again, again, again.

Hey B, Absolutely, over and over the cleaning process. Last i did vinyl was in tbe 80s, and it peeled. Really disappointed, but with the SEM products, I understand that the results have improved dramatically. For sure, clean, clean, clean. Are you using just soapy water, or some say other solvents such as vinyl prep or lacquer thinner. Thanks. Old Dart 66

I use just soap, water, and alcohol. Sometimes the stronger solvents will pull the oils to the surface of plastics and vinyls.

Or any solvents recommended by the SEM or whatever line you use.

I would use what ever the manufacture of the product you are going to use says.

I think it's a great idea to trade straight up. There might be a FABO member that is in a big need of a red one and has a black to trade with. I have a black one and the red one would fit lile a glove in my wagon.
But it's not factory correct....

Thanks to all. Yes, it would be nice to have found one to trade straight up....nice red for nice black, but the general consensus is that by cleaning well, very well, and using SEM products, the procedure will do a good job. I will, possibly, be going that route. I will leave this thread up, who knows, the original idea may turn up and save the painting for myself and someone else.....after all, will SEM color match OEM black? I appreciate the input. Old Dart 66

-
Back