65 dart

-

waldo786

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was asking some questions before about the early 70's darts, but I am also curious about the mid 60's particularly the 65 darts. Is there anywhere you can see what options they could come with? How much do they weigh? Did they also come with the 904? Are the 225 good engines? Can they be made to handle well? I'm looking for a nice cruiser that won't kill me on gas. Thanks! Any good place to go to find all this info too :)? What kind of rears did autos come with, and how much might you expect to pay for one in running condition that needs restoration? Also curious what these cars weigh. Thanks again!

As for options, score an old dealer brochure off eBay. Engines were 101 hp (170), 145 hp (225), 185 hp (273 2v), and 235 hp (273 4v). All of these hp #'s are gross and not SAE net. So expect them to be 25-30% less by todays ratings. Weight ranged between 2900-3300#, or a couple hundred pounds lighter than a pre 73 Dart. Any auto for 65 would be a 904, and likely to have the 7 1/4" rear. The 225 is legendary for its durability, and can be built to give impressive performance. As for handling, the Formula S Barracuda was consididered to be one of the best handling cars of the 60's, and the Dart is the same platform, so improvments are certainly possible.

How much does one cost? Look around, there are deals out there. Generally the early A's are a bit cheaper than the 67-72 cars, but the values are coming up quick. I think their values will eventually put them at least equal to the other cars, if not higher. Obviously factory hi-po cars will be worth the most, as will convertables (no convertables after 69). 64-66 were also the only years for wagons, which I think were cool.

My wagon with the 225,1bbl, and a worn out 904 got 20-25 mpg highway. Of course it is power nuthin. But the trans was so worn out that it would shift to third within twenty feet of taking off even with all the linkage properly adjusted. I'd shift it manually and just drive. And they are durable, original trans had over 500,000 with just normal servicing. The motor was all stock with the same mileage, but gave up the ghost when the unleaded fuel finally let the valves beat in the head. As far as price they range all the way from free to high teens. But a decent driver can be found around here for less than $3,000. Basic trim packages were for the dart 170, with the upgraded being the 270. Basic trim for Valiants V100, and upgraded being the V200. But options could be found in either one as the cars were generally ordered by the buyer with what they wanted. Generally options were in the likes of power steering, power brakes, bucket seats, console shifter, auto, 3sp manual, 4sp manual, windhshield washer system either manual foot pump or electric, 2spd wipers, air conditioning, bumperettes, gravel shields on the rear wheel openings, wheels, wheels well trim, 14inch wheels, interior light package, and a whole lot more.

I have a 64 Dart and have had a 68, 70 and 72. I like them all, major down side to the early A bodies 63-66 is lack of room in the engine compartment. So headers are big $$$, car is a little harder to work on, but has the longer 111 wheel base in the Darts. They look cool to me, but you gotta love that early A body look. A good 273 or even a 318 will push these cara round very nice!

And they came will all slant sixes and the 273 2 and 4B as memtioned above. There was also a rare D dart in 65-66 with a 275 HP 273. And I have seen these cars with 3 on the tree, and 3 & 4 spds on the floor too. All had 7 1/4 rears except some 4B and the D darts. They had a larger rear end.

You can fit a 727 in with some minor work to the tunnel and floor pan too.
man have fun, welcome abord and enjoy!
:wav:

PS 225 is about the best 6 ever made, put over 200k on 2 of them and my 68 ran high 15's stk with minor carb and dist work. There are even 4b intakes and headers for the slant six too.

Boy, did you come to the right sight! The early As' have a great combination of styling, drivability, and power. My '66 handles great and the 273 gives it a nice weight-to-HP ratio. Very nice ones can still be found at a fair price. Check the Cars for sale forum, there was a beautiful '66 conv. for sale.

Thanks for all the insight guys. Your knowledge is very helpful to me. My immediate family has been for the most part GM people so I am a lot more familiar with them. My great Aunt did own a dart, can't remember what year, but she sold it before I was old enough to do anything about it. I can still remember it sitting in her garage. Must have sat in there for years. I was wondering also, was AC an option back in those days? Or am I just too used to creature comforts... Thanks again and any other info would be great if you have it :)

-
Back