65 Dodge Dart 2DR

-

65 Dodge Dart

Owner Of A Lonely Dart!
Reaction score
Question, Has anyone ever put a big block 413 wedge motor in a 65 dart without major(MAJOR) modifications? I happen to have both and want to rebuild the dart and make it a occasional drag strip and occasional cruiser. And of course i have time but limited budget. I currently have a 273 installed in the car with a 8 3/4 poss. rear with 4/11 gears and also have a couple of 360 blocks to drop in her. So is the 413 worth the modifications or should i sell it to put $$ into restoration floor-pans, gas tank, and frame tie ins LOL?

Although I have never done this swap I can testify to the fact that it takes a mountain of work to install a B/RB,Hemi in an early a-body . the frame rails are closer together and the engine bay is smaller . Fenderwell headers are mandatory . A small block or a GenIII hemi fit much better . I suggest sub-frame connectors and torque boxes . Hope this helps .

i did a 64 valiant with a 440. pretty much the same swap.. easy swap.. headers are the biggest thing.. can use manifolds but ya need to surface them properly to clear the steering column..

64valiant023.jpg

64valiant024.jpg

64valiant025.jpg

when it has 6cyl bars it handled like crap.. when i put the 383 bars in it i liked it.. was no corner carver but was safe feeling...

64valiant001.jpg

Lol, that's OK, it gave abodyjoe another chance to post pics of His cool "up-n-over" headers.!:thumbsup:

When you said limited budget, that to me says use a small block. Write down all the stuff you need for the big block, then compare it to what you can do with a motor you already have, or a bone yard Magnum motor. Off the top of my head I remember the radiator may be different, not to mention needing a bigger one, fenderwell headers reduce the turning radius a lot, even with small tires. On mine the passenger side tubes were too close to the shock tower and I had to do surgery there . If someone has made fenderwells fit without cutting that shock tower, post photos please. You will have to run a 727 trans for an automatic, or get a different bell housing for a stick trans.

There are a few posts on here about this. Should be able to find with a search. I remember previously a thread about "big block early A roll call". There are a few, but not many.

Good luck with your project.

There are a few posts on here about this. Should be able to find with a search. I remember previously a thread about "big block early A roll call". There are a few, but not many.

Good luck with your project.
Hey That being said, how would one set up on the forum, say a project post to keep updating and posting new pictures to ?

hey one question on this would you need to switch out member i know classic industries has motor mounts for b/rb swaps becasue i want to stick a 383 in my 65 dodge dart hahaha thank you guys this site kicks ***

-
Back