'65 Formula S with "factory" 727 and 8 3/4?

-
The 8 3/4 in my sons 68 Dart came out of a 1965 Dart wagon 4 speed with the towing package. It had 3.54's Sure Grip.
Was it Factory or Dealer installed, I do not know. In about 1976 I bought it from a man in his 60's that bought the wagon new to tow a small Airstream for him and his wife. He had sold the engine and trans otherwise I'd had bought the whole car but it was a Flintstone car. Frame and body was 80% rust.

I have a 65 parts car that has a 8.75. Dont know the case or ratio havent got that far yet

The 8 3/4 in my sons 68 Dart came out of a 1965 Dart wagon 4 speed with the towing package. It had 3.54's Sure Grip.
Was it Factory or Dealer installed, I do not know. In about 1976 I bought it from a man in his 60's that bought the wagon new to tow a small Airstream for him and his wife. He had sold the engine and trans otherwise I'd had bought the whole car but it was a Flintstone car. Frame and body was 80% rust.
A 273-2 barrel with a 4 speed and a 3.55. Cool stuff!

I have a 65 parts car that has a 8.75. Dont know the case or ratio havent got that far yet
741 case and probably 3.23 gear. 3.55 is pretty rare for a 65 as was the Sure Grip.

Last edited:
A 273-2 barrel with a 4 speed and a 3.55. Cool stuff!
The man said he had the 4bbl 273, 4 speed, Liberty Overdrive, coil-over shocks and this 8 3/4 rear. And Front & Rear sway bars. The O/D was divorced bolt on unit with a 'Overdrive' handle under the dash, he still had it and I'd have bought it if I had the money. I was a married E4 in the Army. It worked in all gears, even reverse.

Oct 1965 Commando four speed Barracuda still had the 7-1/4 in it when my buddy bought it in 1975. Still had it when I bought it from him, even though he busted two sets of spider gears and one axle. When I sheared the splines off the other axle I was done and put the 3.23SG 8-3/4 that we pulled out of the '67 Rallye Dart that the 273 four barrel and 904. The Barracuda had a 3.23 open when I bought it.
Fender tag.jpg
Lilcuda1.jpg
Rallye Dart 04.jpg

I got the 8.75 for my 65 Dart from a 66 Barracuda at the local wrecking yard 3:23 open complete 300$ about 10 years ago.

For reference here.....no A body came standard with an 8 3/4” until 1967, and that was only in big block cars. All others had to pay extra for it as an option. Of course that changed in 68 when it became standard in 340 equipped cars and big blocks.

For reference here.....no A body came standard with an 8 3/4” until 1967, and that was only in big block cars. All others had to pay extra for it as an option. Of course that changed in 68 when it became standard in 340 equipped cars and big blocks.
I think that this part of "OPTIONAL" equipment is understood. My Aunts 4 door 1965 Dart /6, 3 on the tree came with Heater delete, Radio delete, front seat belts, vinyl flooring and Power steering. My aunts husband bought it off an Arizona dealers floor when they were on vacation and crashed their Corvair. No heater in Washington State is crazy. We installed one from the J.C. Whitney Catalog.
But that I know of, NO option for an A727 in these early A body cars. To install one would have required the factory to beat the firewall to floorboard seam flat and dimple the floor a bit. And why give the 273 a handicap of the 727's extra drag to operate? Chrysler knew the A904 used less power to operate. That is why you see the 904 in many bigger vehicles with 318's.

Give me a A999 and a A727 and I'll have the 727 for sale on Craigslist soon.

I thought the 1966 4 speeds were all 8 3/4. Factory had to deal with some many warranty repairs with earlier 7 1/4

In 1970 I bought a 64 Valiant wagon with a 273 2 barrel and a 4 speed Had a 7 1/4 rear, After breaking 2 with the l 60s I ran/ I found a wrecked 69 Charger in a junk yard with a Dana. Problem solved- the wagons had rounded out wheel wells and air shocked gave me the clearance- Tires stuf out a lot- Wild with rooster tails when it rained...

In 1970 I bought a 64 Valiant wagon with a 273 2 barrel and a 4 speed Had a 7 1/4 rear, After breaking 2 with the l 60s I ran/ I found a wrecked 69 Charger in a junk yard with a Dana. Problem solved- the wagons had rounded out wheel wells and air shocked gave me the clearance- Tires stuf out a lot- Wild with rooster tails when it rained...
Hot rodding at best! You couldn't break that Dana. LOL

Hot rodding at best! You couldn't break that Dana. LOL

Yea but I got stopped by MD state troopers 2x on interstate and got inspection tickets for spraying up water in rain. Had to take the wheels/tires of my Moms 68 Satellite and take to trooper to check on the repair correction. Luckily wasn't same guy....

I thought the 1966 4 speeds were all 8 3/4. Factory had to deal with some many warranty repairs with earlier 7/4”

In the middle of the model year 1966, it became “standard” that all 4 speed 4 bbl cars cars come equipped with a SG 7 1/4”, the 8 3/4” was still an extra cost option. This is true even in 67 small block 4 bbl 4 speed cars, which still had the 273. Only the big block cars got the 8 3/4” as standard equipment.

I parted out a 4 speed 66 Formula S car, it had a 3:23 SG 7 1/4” rear in it. The trans input shaft was melted and blue on the end, it had obviously had a hard life, but the 7 1/4” SG unit was still fine and functioning. I have the paperwork for that car somewhere, I’ll dig it up and see what I can find that may add to this.

I thought the 1966 4 speeds were all 8 3/4. Factory had to deal with some many warranty repairs with earlier 7 1/4

Nope. See my reply about the '66 Commando four speed Barracuda that I used to own. That was then owned by LilCuda.

I have not seen an option code that specified a 8.75 rear end. I know rumors abound that back then a buyer could order a HD rear end, but I don't know what the option code was.
I currently own a 65 and 2 66's, all factory 4 speed F/S cars and all came from the factory with 7 1/4" rear ends. Both 66's had 71/4 sure grip rears.

I have not seen an option code that specified a 8.75 rear end. I know rumors abound that back then a buyer could order a HD rear end, but I don't know what the option code was.
I currently own a 65 and 2 66's, all factory 4 speed F/S cars and all came from the factory with 7 1/4" rear ends. Both 66's had 71/4 sure grip rears.
I need to dig out my build sheet and find the rear axle number.

Last edited:
My 66 Dart has a 8 3/4 Sure Grip. My build sheet lists the rear axle as a code 404 and the Sure Grip as a 408. No mention on the build sheet or any of the ordering information as to whether it is a 8 3/4 or not. My guess is that in late 65 and 66 the 8 3/4's were obviously used but not optioned as such but just as a HD rear axle.

Last edited:

Build sheet from my 66. 8 3/4 3.23 suregrip.
66data.jpg

-
Back