'65 Formula S with "factory" 727 and 8 3/4?

-
Same as mine Axle code: 404 Sure grip: 4088. The sure grip code is 408 and they just put an 8 in the box.
40"4"= 3:23 gear ratio
40"8"= sure grip
Neither indicate size of ring gear.
To know which rear was installed at the factory, check "axle" under the build code section of a build sheet. For my 66 with 3:23 sure grip, the build code is 011 and it is a 7 1/4" rear. Someone with a factory 8 3/4" A body car, please post that number.

40"8"= sure grip
To know which rear was installed at the factory, check "axle" under the build code section of a build sheet. For my 66 with 3:23 sure grip, the build code is 011 and it is a 7 1/4" rear. Someone with a factory 8 3/4" A body car, please post that number.
Wow, good thing you mentioned that. I had to get a magnifying glass out to see it but the axle is #178 and the pinion # is 34.
17 834 or 17 8 3/4 I would imagine. The codes aren't in the option code book that I can find.

20191211_153217.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, good thing you mentioned that. I had to get a magnifying glass out to see it but the axle is #178 and the pinion # is 34.
17 834 or 17 8 3/4 I would imagine. The codes aren't in the option code book that I can find.

View attachment 1715436469
Thank you for posting.
Quoting Govier's 1991 Parts Interchange Book: build code (not sales code) 011 is 1966 A-body 3:23 SG 10" brakes 7 1/4" rear end
178 is 1966 A-body 3:23 SG 10" brakes 7 1/4" rear end
Govier does not list an A body 8 3/4" rear until 1967 and the build code then is 614 non SG and 615 SG w/ 10" brakes. Doesn't mean there was none, just it's not in his book.
I have no idea why the same rear in 1966 A-bodies would have different build codes for the apparently same rear end. Perhaps Mr. Grovier amended a later printing if error were made.
Go figure.

Also FYI, "pinion" under build code was the speedometer pinion gear #, not the rear end pinion or ring gear diameter.

Thank you for posting.
Quoting Govier's 1991 Parts Interchange Book: build code (not sales code) 011 is 1966 A-body 3:23 SG 10" brakes 7 1/4" rear end
178 is 1966 A-body 3:23 SG 10" brakes 7 1/4" rear end
Govier does not list an A body 8 3/4" rear until 1967 and the build code then is 614 non SG and 615 SG w/ 10" brakes. Doesn't mean there was none, just it's not in his book.
I have no idea why the same rear in 1966 A-bodies would have different build codes for the apparently same rear end. Perhaps Mr. Grovier amended a later printing if error were made.
Go figure.

Also FYI, "pinion" under build code was the speedometer pinion gear #, not the rear end pinion or ring gear diameter.
"pinion" Damn, I thought I was onto something. LOL I find the Galen pocket books pretty frustrating. The print is way too small. My bifocals just don't pick up all the details and Like in school, if I read a page I don't retain the info. Thanks for pointing that out. I never noticed that info in the parts book. I have the 1991 and the 2013 book here within arm's reach.

Perhaps somebody with a D/Dart broadcast sheet could chime in. Those are the only early A-bodies that there is no doubt as to what rear end was factory installed. Actually, I think I may have a copy of one. I'm looking right now.

Interesting. 408 is still Sure Grip. 409 is special order rear gear. @ddartdude knows I bet.

I think so. Now we need to see a late '66 standard four barrel four speed car to see what it says. Unfortunately the axle info is right where the seat spring was.
Mine is a December car. Post #52

40"8"= sure grip
66 Barracuda 4 speed 273 2V 8 3/4 suregrip. Pretty sure it's 138.
Untitled.jpg

D/Dart broadcast sh

The axle is #999 and the pinion is #99. From another D/Dart broadcast sheet.
Makes sense. Many of those build sheets are quite hard to read. Along those same lines, fender tags can be almost unreadable if rusted bad. Flip it over and take a sharp photo of the backside and I can invert the image to make it readable.

Lucky to own a couple D Darts and even with a build sheet.
I've been hunting for D/Dart info since late 1986. I had just purchased a 1964 Valiant and wanted to put headers on it. Found out that the D/Dart headers were the only non-fenderwell headers that would fit. I was working in Chrysler Engineering in Highland Park at the time so some info was easy to acquire.

I've been hunting for D/Dart info since late 1986. I had just purchased a 1964 Valiant and wanted to put headers on it. Found out that the D/Dart headers were the only non-fenderwell headers that would fit. I was working in Chrysler Engineering in Highland Park at the time so some info was easy to acquire.
That's interesting. I didn't know that about you. Insider information! LOL

I had a thought. We should let this thread run it's course but I may be able to move the D Dart information posts to it's own thread. If you wish and think it's a good idea.

If someone is searching for D Dart information it will come up as long as they don't activate the "search titles only " box.

-
Back