65 rear shocks

-

cudafish65

Reaction score
Looking too add a little height to the rear of my barracuda, not much maybe an inch. I have used coil overs on pickups in the past and it did it's job but was a stiff ride, any recommendations or past experiences

Looking too add a little height to the rear of my barracuda, not much maybe an inch. I have used coil overs on pickups in the past and it did it's job but was a stiff ride, any recommendations or past experiences
I put on air shocks and they work fine. You can fine tune the height to your liking

The proper way would be to replace the springs. Your springs originals? If so they are probably sagging. ESPO Springs and Things has stock 5 and 6 leaf and 1" and 2" over stock height.

Yeah they are original, I was figuring that they are sagging but maybe I could "cheat" a bit

I had a 65 Dart with overload spring/shocks, drove over some rough railroad tracks and lost my gas tank. These cars aren't designed with overloads or air shocks in mind.

Talk to your local spring shop and see if they can help . these are the folks that do trucks for a living . Sometimes adding a leaf or even a 1/2 leaf can raise it enough . Expect it to ride a little stiffer .

Talk to your local spring shop and see if they can help . these are the folks that do trucks for a living . Sometimes adding a leaf or even a 1/2 leaf can raise it enough . Expect it to ride a little stiffer .
And they will. The previous owner of my Swinger added 1 leaf. It's a stiffer ride for sure to the point that is annoying. I think I'll put some 1" overs in sometime.

cheap shackles bro! Using the upper shock mount as a load bearing suspension part is asking for trouble. Keep the suspension hung at 2 points, dont put a strut in the middle.

ESPO Springs and Things are great. If you are looking for a long term fix, that's the way to go. I put them on my 65 Barracuda. Didn't take very long to install. I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't that much. I should never have to worry about that issue again. Good luck

I vote going to spring shop, like he said a half spring could be a good fix. or just pay the $$ for a new set. $$ are easy to come by right!??ha

2 in is quite a bit. I have a 1 inch and people seem to think it is to much, but my car is totally stripped down, no glass, interior, or body parts that could be removed.

WP_20161018_15_57_58_Pro.jpg

I hope that once I finish the paint and replace the bumpers and all of the body parts, glass and interior that will be enough to bring it down some. It didn't sit this high before I stripped everything down

2 in is quite a bit. I have a 1 inch and people seem to think it is to much, but my car is totally stripped down, no glass, interior, or body parts that could be removed.

View attachment 1714987152

That will definitely go down some but looks like it will be a perfect height. seems like a lot of trial and error...which gets expensive. Out of curiosity what size wheels/tires are you planning on using

My Formula S has 14 in wheels and I haven't decided what size I will have
. The car is going to be stock so the tires will not be oversized. The ones on the car are the old bias ply tires

-
Back