65 valiant v-100 rear end

-

Jp5

Reaction score
folks,
i'm trying to figure out if i can get steeper gears (3.55) for my stock rear end. not sure the specs of what i've got, but is it possible to change the gears out on any rear end?

thanks again for your thoughts.

jp

looks like i found my answer. i have a 7 1/4 and no, cannot change the gears.

looks like i found my answer. i have a 7 1/4 and no, cannot change the gears.

Yes you can change the gears. But It is not something I would recommend you do yourself, if you do not have special tools, or someone to show you how, the first time.

If you have a dial mic and a torque wrench, you can do it. its the preload and gear depth that you need to get correct. Wear pattern is dictated on depth of gears, adjusted with shims. takes time but what doesnt on these cars nowadays. The 7.25 on Dakotas is not the same gears.

I believe that is incorrect. I was/am very interested in leaving my 7 1/4 in my '64 GT,
and I researched gearsets for it, as well as it's reputation for holding up. The part
numbers were the same for all 7 1/4 diffs incl. the dakota frt. diffs., which I had
anticipated would be different due to the drive /coast sides being reversed, but they
were the same ring&pinion part #'s . The carrier/bearing assy's may very well be diff.
as are the tk. version of the 8 1/4's as well,but the gears are the same.
US Gear,Yukon,Motive,& poss. others all make R&P sets for Your 7 1/4, just make
sure to get the correct installation kit for your axle. I agree w/Charlie s ,not knowing
Your abilities, but patience & experience are both necessary for setting pinion depth
& preload correctly.The torque wrench & dial gauge alone are enuff for backlash but
you need more than that to do the pinion rite.
The fact that mopar used the 7 1/4 in the daks means there are sets up into the
4:-- series available, but I wouldn't recommend that for anything w/ much torque
or a stick that you planned on beating on. even w/ the rare suregrip in it.
:coffee2:

thanks, guys. i stand corrected. I'll see if i can make this happen this summer.

jp

-
Back