650 Holley bogs out

-

Dart183

Reaction score
I just put a new 650 Holley with vaccuum secondarys on my car and when I go to tramp on it. It bogs out then it catchs and almost gives you whip lash!!! Can anybody tell me what I can do to fix it.

Thanks

Either the secondaries are openint too early, or you need more accelerator pump shot. Disconnect the linkage for the secondaries and see if it still does it.

Holley sells different coloured secondary springs.(for spring tension)It sounds like your secondarys are opening at a low RPM.So if you change the spring to open up around 3500-4000 instead of say 2000-2500 you,ll lose that ba-whopp,and the sec. will open cradually as the vacuum allows.Good Luck tromping!!

and after that; if you can feel the secondaries open, you still have a bog, not a shot of feel this thing run.

black smoke signals a too rich mixture. Maybe you have too big of a pump shot. Maybe go down on the size of the accelerator shooter. If it was the power valve, wouldn't it have a rotten idle quality? When you say new, do you mean out of the Holley box new? Or rebuilt, or just new to your car?

why dont u post the list number of the carb...and maybe the squirter size,,,jets....secondary spring color...what is the power valve number...and what is the vacuum at idle in gear?????

also is the idle mixture properly adjusted for the highest vacuum...

also what kind of converter and gearing is in the car....camshaft specs?

its a new carb. dont holleys have power valve blow out prevention now

I didn't catch the "new" in his post. You are correct, if it's a new Holley from the factory it should have power valve blow out protection.

Dusterdon,

Yes, it would be pulling fuel at idle through the enrichment circuit.

70aarcuda is right, We need more information to try to help.

Yes It is a brand new out of the box squeaky clean Holley, and right now I forget what the specs are for the carb but I should be able to find them in the next few days or so. ( i forgot where i put the information )

Have you set the float levels yet? These carbs get knocked around pretty good during shipping.

its a 1250 holley and the engine is a 68 318 bore out 10 over . The block and heads are planed. zero clearance between block and top of pistons. True flat top pistons with .429/.444 lift mopar purple camshaft.Mechanical fuel pump, Stock transmission, 8 1/4 rear with currently 293 s for gears but I'm looking for a set of 355s for my limited slip.

I forgot to mention that when it bogs out it gives out some black smoke.

If you are getting black smoke when you jump on it then its a rich bog.

The accelerator pump can provide to much gas and cause a bog as easily as if to little gas is provided. I would start looking at the pump squirter and the pump cam. If its a used carb go to the holley web site and look up the list number and find out what size was stock for the squirter and the cam and go back to stock as your first step. If its new then go down one size on the squirter or try a less agressive cam.

With black smoke it wouldn't be the secondaries causing the bog. Vacuum secondaries do not have an accelerator pump so you need to keep the air velocity up to have enough signal to draw fuel. When the open to fast the air velocity drops and no fuel is drawn and you get a lean bog.

-
Back