Status
Not open for further replies.

johnmucci

moparmucci
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Contact seller
Hi Guys! What was the correct 4bbl carb on a hi po 273 w/ the chrome air cleaner?? and does anyone have one??/ can another carb be used with that air cleaner & base??? Thanks, John

Hi Guys! What was the correct 4bbl carb on a hi po 273 w/ the chrome air cleaner?? and does anyone have one??/ can another carb be used with that air cleaner & base??? Thanks, John

My 67 273 hp had a 4295s 4bbl carb.still have it. make offer.

John, I have the original air cleaner lid on my 66, but I wanted to use a newer carb and they all have the 5 inch throat, where the original ones were only 4 11/16". All I did was go to the local auto parts and buy a 14 chrome air cleaner assy and pirate just the base. It all goes together and you'd never be the wiser. Lots cheaper than finding, buying and rebuilding the original carb, unless you are going concours and need the original carb. Not trying to cut you out on a sale, barracuda man, and if you put that carb up for the general public, it'll be licked up quick!!! I'm just offering an option that worked for me!!! Good luck, Geof

Thanks Geof, I am not looking for "concours" and if I can use a different base thats cool. Actually, my 273 is not the hi po , but I found 4bbl intake, valve covers & air cleaner to make it look like a hi po for now until I find another engine to rebuild. So I guess I just need a decent 4bbl carb, nothing to big. Thanks, John

In addition to the air cleaner base difference that cosgig mentioned, the secondary butterflys will not open fully without enlarging the intake if you use a AFB or AVS. I bought a 600 AFB at a swap meet and put it on to see how it ran compared to my original 66' carb. It ran great but allmost no secondary action. toolmanmike

the correct carb size for a 273 is 500 cfm,,you dont want any thing bigger on your 273 weather it has the hipo cam or not,,500 cfm is enough,you can buy them new from edelbrock,with a manual or electric choke,,as mentioned use a modern store bought air cleaner base and the factory 273 air cleaner top, and your good to go,, check summit or jegs for edelbrock AFB carb prices,,

one other option there is a guy that casts AFB carb tops of the orignal neck size for hemi restorations,last i heard around 900.00 bucks each,,,yikes

In addition to the air cleaner base difference that cosgig mentioned, the secondary butterflys will not open fully without enlarging the intake if you use a AFB or AVS. I bought a 600 AFB at a swap meet and put it on to see how it ran compared to my original 66' carb. It ran great but allmost no secondary action. toolmanmike

That's why you the tool man, Mike!!! Actually, I did run into this problem, but I had an aluminum spacer that was larger at the carb side and went down to the smaller hole size of the intake, so I don't think the problem ever occured to me. I just thought the butterflies were not exactly centered and just threw the spacer under there for a little insulative and air straightening purposes. Thanks for pointing that out Mike, and you too, Fstfish66 on the carb size, especially with a 273 and the 2 barrel cam that's undoubtably still in the hole!!! Geof

the 273s came with 500 cfm,,and the factory D DART race car came with a 600 holly,but much bigger cam and rear gearing,,, 500 cfm is plenty,,and an AVS would also help as to not open fully untill the engine needed it using an auto matic,,,much crisper responce at low end cruising

the correct carb size for a 273 is 500 cfm,,you dont want any thing bigger on your 273 weather it has the hipo cam or not,,500 cfm is enough[/qoute]

In my research I was led to believe that the 273 Commando came with a 550cfm Carter AFB as Original Equipment and Single Exhaust

the 273s came with 500 cfm,,and the factory D DART race car came with a 600 holly,but much bigger cam and rear gearing,,, 500 cfm is plenty,,and an AVS would also help as to not open fully untill the engine needed it using an auto matic,,,much crisper responce at low end cruising

And it is also Believed that the 1966 "D Dart" came with a 750cfm Holley carb and Aluminum Intake, Exiting through Headers by DOUG

I have a 67 Dart GT 273 4Barrel with a Holley 600cfm and Dual exhaust with stock manifolds and Cam. (some mild to aggressive machine work including porting Milling and Boring) It needs an adapter plate to fit. I am looking into a Dual Cold-Air style Cleaner for more crisper fresher air for my 273.

3:91 gears and a 4-speed keep it revved up...

some wherre recently i read the D DART was 600 holly car had 4;56 gear and no warranty,,who knows what info is correct after all these years,,do a google search you may find the correct or differnt info,jusy passing along what i read,,,didnt meen to say it was the bible,,,,but factory 237 4 bbl is a 500 cfm,that i know for sure no such afb 550 ever exsisted

some wherre recently i read the D DART was 600 holly car had 4;56 gear and no warranty,,who knows what info is correct after all these years,,do a google search you may find the correct or differnt info,jusy passing along what i read,,,didnt meen to say it was the bible,,,,but factory 237 4 bbl is a 500 cfm,that i know for sure no such afb 550 ever exsisted

Okie DOkie. so it was a 500 then... Thanks.

Yeah I looked around last night and found on "How stuff Works.com"

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][In 1966 the Dart Offered] the D package, after the D/Stock racing class for which it was tailored, its heart was a 273 that used a radical Camcraft camshaft, solid lifters, special 700cfm Holley 4160 four-barrel carburetor, and free-flow tubular exhaust headers by Doug of California. A full-breathing intake manifold that incorporated a special low-restriction air cleaner also were D items.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]A four-speed manual transmission with Weber clutch, and a Sure-Grip 83/4-inch rear with a heavy duty 4.86:1 axle ratio also were part of the D package. A heavy-duty suspension and 6.94´14 tires rounded out the menu on cars that came to be called the D/Dart. Owners of ordinary Darts were advised that they could contact Chrysler’s Parts Division to convert to D spec.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Dodge called the D/Dart a “regular production line” car, but cautioned that “Due to the expected use of these vehicles, no warranty coverage applies.” Darts at this time also were campaigned in road racing and rallies. Weighing just 2946 pounds, the D/Dart was a contender in not only drag competition, but in a host of other events.[/FONT]

I have exactly what you need X2.
1 - Carter AFB 4294S 1965-1967 273 HP (rebuilt) $ 200
1 - Carter AFB 4294S 1965-1967 273 HP (nice shape, buildable) $100
Send me a PM. Thanks -

RJM
I am sorry for the mistake. I need a Carter AFB 4295S for a 273 HIPO. I have an automatic and the 4294S is for a tandard trans. If you have a 4295S PM me at [email protected]
Thanx Mike K

The correct Carter AFB numbers for 1966 model 273 4bbl's are: 4119, 4120, 4121, and 4122. It depended on trans and C.A.P. as to which one you should have. If I remember correctly, the 4119 is for a non-C.A.P. 4 speed car; the 4120 was a non-C.A.P. automatic; 4120 is C.A.P. 4 speed, and 4122 is the C.A.P. auto. C.A.P. being "Cleaner Air Package" which was what we had here in Ca. for smog equipment those years. They'll all interchange and work.....there was just some minor jetting and adjustment changes. The '65 and '67 273 carbs will work too if you just need something to bolt on.

Cudamark
Thanks for the info but my Barracuda is a 67 Formula S conv. According to my Challenger and Barracuda Resto Guide my car came with the Carter AFB 4295 S. I am trying to keep it original hence my quest for that particular carb. PM me if you know of someone who has one and would like to part with it.
Thanx Mike K [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back