'66 275hp 273

-

mischiefdart

Reaction score
I was reading my direct connection engines book and saw there was a limited production 275hp 273. It came with a 700 cfm holley carb and tube headers. Has anyone here seen or owned one of the motors?

I have 67 fast back barracuda , comando car, came stock with a 273 comando 4 barrel h.p. engine but I dont remember the horse power rating I think they were rated at 200-215 horse. I am pretty sure the 340 was rated at 275 -290 horse but would have to start looking at my books again. I'm in the procsess of rebuilding my 273 thou. Would be nice to have a fatory 275 horse 273 motor but I dont think it ever came stock with that much horse. But I have been wrong for time to time. Cheers.

This engine was a limited production '66 only. From what I have heard they were not very reliable and not many were built.

What they were talking about in the engine book was the VERY limited production "D" Dart. Built by the factory to compete in D stock class drag racing. Never seen one, have read bits and pieces about them, I beleave they were all build on 66 Dart GT platforms. Wish I had one.

I figured it was a special production class racing car. I wonder if any are left?

Someone on here has one. It had headers,a special cam (racer brown?) and a holley carb. It was (under)rated at 275 HP for the d class.

Yeah, the cam specs on this are way wild. Not supposed to be remotely streetable. Pretty much a limited-production factory "cheater".

When I was rebuilding my 273 Commando I got all excited about this one, too. But after some research, I got real.

hi, ok, 1966 D-Darts. had a 780 holley from the race hemi, dougs headers, 284 dur cam , made by camcraft, racer brown springs, 4.86 gears in 8 3/4 rear end, weber clutch, 2.66 first gear 4 speed trans. the throttle bores in manifold were bored out to match the 780 bores. they ran 14.2-14.3 is stock trim, through the single muffler. I have the original factory spec sheet on those cars. the rev limit was set for 7400 rpm. cam specs were 284 dur, .500 lift solid. not a cheater cam!!!!!

-
Back