'66 Barracuda Form. S 4spd. orig. 68K

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool car! White color is a little boring looking but man it looks in pretty good shape.

Extremely rare original Plymouth FS Barracuda with white interior and white vinyl top. Only 18 made at Michigan plant 4 known to exist. Factory Car runs excellant has Original 273 Commando engine ,Console with manual 4 speed, 4 bbl, Dual point Dist, and Posi rear. Also factory undercoating and Broadcast Sheet. 68,000 orig miles. I am second registered owner. The car spent entire life in New Mexico and is incredibly clean no rust and very straight. Car has its original paint but shows wear. It needs new vinyl top and headliner I have the headliner.I also have notorized letter from the Galen Govier Registry stating its rarity.

$8,800

Attachments

• 5If5G75Hf3La3Ff3H3c2df8aacf7f324917dc.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,166
  • 5Lb5P55M53n83Ja3Nac2de300be361161188a.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,189
  • 5L75Z45Ka3I93F23N2c2dd019c3cf644b10a2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,191
  • 5L15K65Hc3Fb3Ic3H3c2d194fed29cdb01d25.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,168
Thanks to fellow FABO ZooKypr for the headsup on the CL 1966 Formual S. I am now the owner and quite pleased with purchase. The car was accurately described by the seller and the transaction went flawlessly. I wish I could say the same for past deals, but this one makes up for it. I now have a licensed,running and driver Barracuda FS 4 speed. It's darn close to a survivor with what I believe is 69000 actual miles.

The restoration of my 65 FS in now into it's 4th year...and it's still a few months away from startup. So, having one that's road ready is a nice change.

For this 66 Barracuda, under the hood is all original with factory paint still on the exhaust manifolds. I don't think the valve covers have ever been off.
Original radiator, carb, and distributor in place and in good shape. Car options in addition to the Formula S were the following. 4 speed, console, remote mirror, radio, fast ratio manual steering, sure grip, white vinyl top and all windows tinted. (still has the original excellent windshield)
Car spent the first 40 years in NM....no rust with mostly original white paint. Fender tag, build sheet and original owner information include.
Fun car....plan to leave it with scratches and 45 years of living and drive it.

Attachments

• 66 Barr FS NJ ext 2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,044
  • 66 Barr FS NJ ext 3.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,050
  • 66 Barr FS NJ int 1.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 1,020
  • 66 Barr FS.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,030
  • 66 Barr FS NJ eng 1.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 1,054
It's nice to hear that somebody had a good buying expierience and is driving his enjoyment, looks like a lot of fun for a decent $.

"Fun car....plan to leave it with scratches and 45 years of living and drive it."

Amen to that! Good for you, have fun with it!

I still love those with the Commando and four speed. Fortunately my old non-S found a good home back in 1987. Drive it and have fun. Lee is around here somewhere......

Nice score on that 66 Looks like a great car at a great price.

Hi Mark....I now have two 66 Formula S Barracudas. One I just bought and the other one I got from you a year or so ago. Both cars are similarly equipped with 4 speed, close ratio manual steering and sure grip rear.
Yours was a factory silver car with disc brakes...a really cool combination.
And I haven't started a restoration on yours yet.....waiting to get my 65 finished.
I think I remember seeing a mauve 66 S on FABO that you latched on to a while back. Still have that car?
Thanks for your comment,
Pat

Hi Mark....I now have two 66 Formula S Barracudas. One I just bought and the other one I got from you a year or so ago. Both cars are similarly equipped with 4 speed, close ratio manual steering and sure grip rear.
Yours was a factory silver car with disc brakes...a really cool combination.
And I haven't started a restoration on yours yet.....waiting to get my 65 finished.
I think I remember seeing a mauve 66 S on FABO that you latched on to a while back. Still have that car?
Thanks for your comment,
Pat

Still have the mauve car. I'm getting in deep with with a motor rebuild. lol...

Does your white car still have the vinyl top on it? The mauve car had one but it's mostly gone and I'm wondering how the factory seams ran or if it even had any on the top.

Congratulations :cheers:
I bet it is great to have a 66 driver Barracuda 4 speed under you ready to hit the road :glasses7:
Our int. colors are except the white are the same and like you I enjoy driving it daily :happy2:

Another early 66 Plymouth Barracuda in the fabo family :happy2:

Attachments

• Ralley's%20004.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 725
Still have the mauve car. I'm getting in deep with with a motor rebuild. lol...

Does your white car still have the vinyl top on it? The mauve car had one but it's mostly gone and I'm wondering how the factory seams ran or if it even had any on the top.

The vinyl top on my car is completely gone....but all vinyl top related chrome is still intact. I don't know if there were seams on the early Barracuda vinyl tops. My guess would be no, but just a guess.

While I am not a fan of vinyl tops on early Barracudas, I probably will replace it sometime in the future.....white vinyl on white body is looks better than black vinyl top on white body color..IMO. I would love to retain the car's originality as much as possible.

Unfortunately, the biggest obstacle will be finding the correct windshield gasket. Vinyl top cars had a specify/different gasket which had a 1/4" lip molded into the gasket that covered the edge of the vinyl top around the top of the windshield and pillar post. Nooooooooooo body reproduces this gasket.So, unless you can save the original windshield gasket, reinstalling the vinyl top may be a mute point.
Pat

The vinyl top on my car is completely gone....but all vinyl top related chrome is still intact. I don't know if there were seams on the early Barracuda vinyl tops. My guess would be no, but just a guess.

While I am not a fan of vinyl tops on early Barracudas, I probably will replace it sometime in the future.....white vinyl on white body is looks better than black vinyl top on white body color..IMO. I would love to retain the car's originality as much as possible.

Unfortunately, the biggest obstacle will be finding the correct windshield gasket. Vinyl top cars had a specify/different gasket which had a 1/4" lip molded into the gasket that covered the edge of the vinyl top around the top of the windshield and pillar post. Nooooooooooo body reproduces this gasket.So, unless you can save the original windshield gasket, reinstalling the vinyl top may be a mute point.
Pat

I not a big fan of the vinyl top either especially on the fast back Barracuda. In fact I'm not sure how I even feel about the mauve color of my 66. But I will also keep the car as it left the factory. My gasket is probably not in good enough shape to reuse on a painted car. I think if you pulled the windshield and tucked a new vinyl top into the windshield channel you cold probably use a standard gasket and it would work. Mine has that 1/4 flap and it seems more cosmetic than serving a true function.

My old 66 had a vinyl top that I had to peel off to drive home (after installing my engine). I also left the trim intact. That car was original light green with a black top. I went all black on the car without vinyl.

Thanks to fellow FABO ZooKypr for the headsup on the CL 1966 Formual S. I am now the owner and quite pleased with purchase. The car was accurately described by the seller and the transaction went flawlessly. I wish I could say the same for past deals, but this one makes up for it. I now have a licensed,running and driver Barracuda FS 4 speed. It's darn close to a survivor with what I believe is 69000 actual miles."

Your Welcome!!!

Glad to help and nice to hear it was as good as described! Good times ahead! Story was kinda similar to my '66 FS when I bought it back in 2001. Survivor CA car, rust free, 4 spd,pwr. steering & disc brakes. Since then I repainted her and tweaked the motor a bit....:burnout:
Zookypr

Someone to see a picture of the windshield gasket used with a vinyl top.
Here they are and you can see the 1/4" lip used to cover the vinyl around the windshield. I can't find a reproduction of this gasket anywhere.
My parts book lists the gasket as part number 2218960
Pat

Attachments

• 66 Barr F:S NJ windshield seal 1.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 501
  • 66 Barr F:S NJ windshield seal 2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 521
  • 66 Barr F:S NJ windshield seal 3.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 505
Status
Not open for further replies.
-