66 Barracuda Formula S - Performance indicator instead of Tach?

-

66fyssh

Don't Stop Believin'
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it was possible to get a 66 Barracuda Formula S with the vacuum performance indicator in place of the tach? I looked at a "S" badged '66 that had a Commando engine and heavy duty rear springs, but I didn't think to look for a sway bar. There is no fender tag. Thanks!

Yes sir, I just completed servicing a 66 Barracuda panel that had the Perf' Indicator vacuum gauge.

Attachments

• 66B'cuda front.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 638
  • DeMonIVR on 66 B'cuda.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 521
Hmm, I didn't think so. The dealer book says "an optional tachometer is available with V8 engines". In 67-69, at least, there were no interior trim or instrument features included in the Formula S package. It only included the suspension upgrades, badges, and a hi-po engine.

Hmm, I didn't think so. The dealer book says "an optional tachometer is available with V8 engines". In 67-69, at least, there were no interior trim or instrument features included in the Formula S package. It only included the suspension upgrades, badges, and a hi-po engine.

Im just posting what Plymouths own sales literature from 1966 says.

It specifically says that a Tach is standard on the 66 Formula S, here:
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com...ershipsPlymouthOrderingInfo.shtml?load_img=55

And here:
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1966/66_Barracuda_0008.jpg

I have a 66 273 2bbl 4spd car with a tach and disc brakes. It was only driven 4 years - still has PA plate with 1970 registration sticker on it. PA salt ate up the entire drivers side - doesn't look like a 76,000 original miles car. It will some day!

Thanks everyone! Wow, just found this site and you guys are on it!! I can't wait to get started working on this car. I think I'll go ahead and buy it, just might not give as much as I was going to without the fender tag.

I had project MOPAR's up until I joined the military, but with all the travel I've waited until now to get back into it.

Information I found about the optional tach on a formula S was so contradictory that I wanted to ask -- and I see it's a really hard thing to be certain of!!!!

Thank you all for your quick responses and I'll be on the forums as I start to work on my car!!

I have a 66 273 2bbl 4spd car with a tach and disc brakes. It was only driven 4 years - still has PA plate with 1970 registration sticker on it. PA salt ate up the entire drivers side - doesn't look like a 76,000 original miles car. It will some day!

2-66 Cudas, I grew up in Waynesboro, PA and I know what you mean about salt. It was brutal to those old cars!!

Isn't there supposed to be a # on the fender tag under the "abc" that tells if it is a real formula S. I know its that way on my 65 S. Steve in Ga.

The tach was always found in V8 manual trans but automatic trans could have either or.
Not all formula S cars were manual trans builds.
A tach will show you a clutch slipping, that is a good thing.
It can also show a torque convertor slipping too which isn't such a good thing.

For what it's worth, I had a 66 with the vacuum gauge and no tach, BUT, it was a 2 barrel, 273 4 spd car. I swapped a commando engine into the car and also replaced the rear springs with HDs. I didn't put Formula S badges on the car, but if it were still around, it could cause some head scratching.

The number under the letter "C" on the fender tag should be a "2" if it's a Formula S.
Also the numbers under the letters "AB" should be "31" if it's an S. Having said that, since you have no fender tag did the car have the cutout in the left side of the rear valence panel for the Formula S exhaust? My 1965 Formula S has no fender tag, nor does the serial number begin with a "V" as all V-8 cars are supposed to. The only thing for certain is that nothing is certain, particularly with Mopars.

ok, someone might have covered this, if so I either missed it, or didn't understand what they were refering to, so I gotta ask....what's a performance indicator, how does it work, and what does it tell you?

The "performance indicator" was a vacuum gauge. The nice looking 66Barracuda dash has two large gauges, one on each side of the center line of the steering column. The one on the left was always the speedo, the right side was usually the vacuum gauge unless a tach was ordered or it was a Formula S package.

Of course low vacuum means heavy throttle and high performance/less fuel economy, and high vacuum means less performance/higher mileage ( your results may vary).

There is a nice pic in another thread here that shows all the various vacuum gauge reports and what condition they suggest.
One reason to remove a mechanically driven tach is removing the tach drive equipped distributor.

273 Commando
150 MPH Speedometer
Tachometer
Optional disc brakes on front - Drums on rear
6 leaf rear springs
Blue streak tires
The console was optional with the automatic tranny.
Formula S badges on the front fenders.

-
Back